Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another season on the road and the inverter is not working  (Read 493 times)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« on: May 19, 2013, 05:57:21 pm »

I thought that i had resolved this last year when i discovered a light under the driver running board was always on, and i disconnected it before i drove home. I need some help to disgnose the current problem, we will be here for three days. My inverter is not working see explanation that follows.

We have been on the road for four days, plugged in at night. Yesterday after i just disconnected all shore power i tried to turn on the inverter (XANTREX 1800), by pressing the green button. I get an EO2 message -- an input problem typically from low voltage -- then 9.8 shows up and then only clicking until i press the green button on the inverter again.

Battery connectivity is on "use" not "Store". Ground fault light is not on. What am i missing

greg & kathy
2551S

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2013, 07:52:23 pm »

Greg

The first thing I would do is to get a volt meter and measure the voltage right at the coach batteries (not the van battery).
If the reading is less than 12 volts then the battery is not being charged or there is excessive corrosion on the leads or there is a lose connection.
To check for charging the battery, connect to shore power, make sure the store switch is in the operate position, and then measure voltage at the battery.  This will ensure that you are indeed charging the battery.  You should read about 13+ volts.

Also check to see if there are any blown fuses (12 volt) in the convereter.

This is what I would do to start troubleshooting this problem.  Let us know what you find or if you have other quesstions.

Just for your info - I went out to our coach and tested the inverter and I read a full 13.0 when I press the green button.  I'm pretty sure that this is what the inverter sees as the coach battery voltage.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:02:52 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2013, 08:09:13 pm »

Greg,

I was also thinking, and this happened to me on more than one occasion--I thought I was in the "use" position because the red light was on but in essence I had plugged it in and did not put the button in the use position so I was not charging my batteries.  The red light was only on because I was plugged in.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 08:48:17 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2013, 09:10:38 pm »

Greg,

I was also thinking, and this happened to me on more than one occasion--I thought I was in the "use" position because the red light was on but in essence I had plugged it in and did not put the button in the use position so I was not charging my batteries.  The red light was only on because I was plugged in.

Barry

100% right, cycle the switch at the very least and then check your voltages.
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2013, 09:36:39 pm »

I did a battery test on the coach batteries, not the batteries that start the engine, they were at 13.5 and when tested with a load show are in good shape.

My next trip is to the inverter, which for my 2551 is under the long twin bed. nothing is tripped on the 110 power side, will look a right side in the morning.

Does any one know if there is a master rip to my inverter and if so where it might be.

----- OH Wow! -- Here is a Rosanne Rosanna Danna moment, so never mind, but read on.

Here is an update, i just tripped the fault in the bathroom on and off, and then tried the green inverter button again, it is working. Shows a full 13.5 volts.

This is what happened last summer too. I just do not understand,how one moment it does not work and then later it does work.

Greg
2 552

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: