Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New summer projects.  (Read 336 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 36
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: May 25, 2013, 09:20:22 pm »

Alright two trips, so far very happy. However I need some help suggestions. The Beast is in storage right now, taking a month off prior to doing some projects to get things a little better.

1.  MICROWAVE/CONVECTION OVER.  I posted earlier about some problems with the one we have. It still is not working right.. so I am going to replace.  Took out the old one no problem. Has anyone replaced the one they had?   Do I need to stick with units made for RV's or can I get by with a regular unit purchased elsewhere?  Suggestions welcomed.

2.  ROOF -  When we obtained unit, got extention ladder to get up to the top to clean etc.  Ron, I noticed on one of you postings you actually got on the roof.  I want to get on the roof to clean around the vents, ac, fans, antenna,etc,, check the caulking etc  I also noticed that the vent covers are getting a little mold on them and want to clean them up also..

3. FAN COVERS-(see2)  Has anyone put covers over their fans,, I see you can purchase  covers for your fans to protect them when raining,,  they do not cost to much and wondering if it is worth it.Most of the pics I see of the PC, most of them have no covers. 

4.  WINDOWS-Have been reading a lot about window covers, I am going to fabricate something to cover the windows when parked so it is easy on and off.  Keep that heat off,  I look at some those Roadtrek sprinters and think about all those windows and the heat coming in those windows.

I have some small projects also that I think you guys will find interesting.
After all the suggestions I know I will get,  will post some more later this summer and see how things went
thanks for your help

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2013, 09:25:58 am »

David,

Microwave - we have never replaced the microwave but I think there are just a few cautions when doing so.  I would check the input and output power to make sure that it does not draw too much.  All microwaves are different in their input and output.  The other thing is the ventilation.  You just have to make sure there is adequate ventilation around the microwave and then either side vented out, roof vented out or possibly front vented out.  Finally, can it be mounted to fit in the same space.  I have read "ADS" for the RV microwave that say they can withstand the vibrations of travel but who knows if this is just advertisement.  On many ofthe RV forums I have read of people using the "home" microwaves but we have never had to replace one.

Roof - The folks at the factory walk all over the roof and they say it is fine to do so.  Doug from PC has been up on ours a few times to fix some caulking.

Fan Covers - We have the fan covers over two of our three fans.  Work great and will be adding one to the third fan.  After leaving the uncovered one open one night during an unexpected rain we will be adding a cover over it.  They are really  easy to install.

Barry and Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2013, 09:36:35 am »

We have the Fantastic Vent Ultra Breeze covers installed. We bought these because their online video shows a comparison where this cover allows the vent to fully open for maximum air flow. It does seem to do that BUT they are kind of ugly. Our exterior is Sunlit which tops out with a soft beige so we went with white covers. The white stands out and they surely aren't sleek like the PC is. The pros are that we can have the vents open to moderate temps for our onboard kitty and they REALLY seem to draw in the light (which could be a con in the bedroom but we didn't have a vent installed in there). If there is any sun hitting them, we don't need lights. I noticed a stack of Maxxair covers at the factory so I know they install those. Kermit said he had never put the ultra breeze on before. He didn't say it but I'm pretty sure he agrees with me on the look. I'll try to get a pic showing the vent covers and post it.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2013, 11:21:39 am »

Here is pic outside house with vent covers. Back one is under the tree branches. You can see the glow on the front one but the contrast of beige to bright white isn't really apparent in the picture. The vent covers don't look terrible, but they are big. We also upgraded the front fan with the kit that makes it automatic. You set the temp on the remote and it opens and closes the vent and turns on and off on its own. It has a rain sensor so it closes if it gets wet (less likely with the vent cover) then reopens and turns back on if needed once the sensor is dry. The only problem is that you HAVE to have the remote to run the fan. So no batteries, no fan. We didn't figure that out until after we put it in. The upgrade is on the list of things we bought to keep the cat comfy when we are out.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 36
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2013, 12:09:34 pm »

ROOF- getting on roof seems to be no problem,, thanks for info,,, just need to be careful hahah..

COVERS- sold on doing this,, just need to decide which ones, fantastic vents are pretty expensive I saw 60 buck each,,max airs saw some for  25 each installation looks ok,,  I know the fan  in the kitchen is a fantanstic vent 14x14  not sure about the one in the bathroom, same size though and probably would take either cover.  Like a lot of projects you think you have everything then you need this or that I'm sure once I start this will probably have to go up and down a bunch,,, just hate straining the ladder, probably set up my step or extension ladder so can just do one step on the RV ladder...

MICROWAVE/CONV-- i found the same exact one at home depot 279.00 still looking.. If I change brands will be aware of watss output etc..tks

Look forward to some more suggestions and thoughts
David Sparks
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: