Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Electrical question an inverter  (Read 405 times)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« on: May 23, 2013, 07:25:55 am »

After much thought about my inability to consistently relly on the inverter here is initial assessment - I am looking for support or clarification.
1. The batteries are the problem because the run down quickly. The batteries that were put in my vehicle by prior owner, when I bought from prior owner, are not the type that come with the home new. They are regular car batteries, with 600 cca rating, not deep cycle. What is best size type and rating?
2 the use or store button have no impact on the charging of batteries or use of inverter.

Greg Matthews
2551S
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 08:04:54 am by ge_montana » Logged

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2013, 08:39:37 am »

Hi Greg,

I cannot comment on your inverter because our rig has the older Tripp-Lite brand.

Good or bad inverter, you still need the right batteries.  What is best is highly debatable on RV forums.  I bought two large capacity MAXX deep cycle batteries at Walmart.  I like them.  They are bigger than the original ones so they offer more power.  They fit perfectly snug in the battery tray.  I like the design of the top.  Battery acid is better contained.  Whatever brand you buy, try to get the same manufacturing date.  The MAXX had stickers on them.  Example: May 2013.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 11:01:29 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 308
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2013, 09:16:24 am »

Here is some information I found to help define the type of battery you might want.  I personally like Interstate batteries.  The batteries that came with both of our PCs were Marine batteries.  When I need to replace them I will go with Interstate Deep Cycle batteries.  When we had a travel trailer we had an Interstate Deep Cycle battery and it never gave us any problems.

Starting, Marine, or Deep-Cycle Batteries

Starting (sometimes called SLI, for starting, lighting, ignition) batteries are commonly used to start and run engines. Engine starters need a very large starting current for a very short time. Starting batteries have a large number of thin plates for maximum surface area. The plates are composed of a Lead "sponge", similar in appearance to a very fine foam sponge. This gives a very large surface area, but if deep cycled, this sponge will quickly be consumed and fall to the bottom of the cells. Automotive batteries will generally fail after 30-150 deep cycles if deep cycled, while they may last for thousands of cycles in normal starting use (2-5% discharge).

Deep cycle batteries are designed to be discharged down as much as 80% time after time, and have much thicker plates. The major difference between a true deep cycle battery and others is that the plates are SOLID Lead plates - not sponge. This gives less surface area, thus less "instant" power like starting batteries need. Although these can be cycled down to 20% charge, the best lifespan vs cost method is to keep the average cycle at about 50% discharge. Unfortunately, it is often impossible to tell what you are really buying in some of the discount stores or places that specialize in automotive batteries. The golf car battery is quite popular for small systems and RV's. The problem is that "golf car" refers to a size of battery case (commonly called GC-2, or T-105), not the type or construction - so the quality and construction of a golf car battery can vary considerably - ranging from the cheap off brand with thin plates up to true deep cycle brands, such as Crown, Deka, Trojan, etc. In general, you get what you pay for.

Marine batteries are usually a "hybrid", and fall between the starting and deep-cycle batteries, though a few (Rolls-Surrette and Concorde, for example) are true deep cycle. In the hybrid, the plates may be composed of Lead sponge, but it is coarser and heavier than that used in starting batteries. It is often hard to tell what you are getting in a "marine" battery, but most are a hybrid. Starting batteries are usually rated at "CCA", or cold cranking amps, or "MCA", Marine cranking amps - the same as "CA". Any battery with the capacity shown in CA or MCA may or may not be a true deep-cycle battery. It is sometimes hard to tell, as the term deep cycle is often overused - we have even seen the term "deep cycle" used in automotive starting battery advertising. CA and MCA ratings are at 32 degrees F, while CCA is at zero degree F. Unfortunately, the only positive way to tell with some batteries is to buy one and cut it open - not much of an option.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 09:32:40 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2013, 11:05:20 am »

Very nice explanation there Barry.  I gave you a well deserved "Helpful".

Ron

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 32
________
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2013, 04:50:07 pm »

In 2012 Phoenix switched to 2-Trojan Deep Cycle 6 v batteries in series.
Great long lasting American made batteries.
The are a little taller than the batteries they used to use which were Marine batteries, They just dropped the battery holder down to accommodate them.

John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: