Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Problems with Norcold refrigerator door  (Read 4880 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2013, 07:26:11 pm »

Unfortunately that sums it up.

You would think these types of problems with any product would have long ago been learned and avoided.  

If it is anything like the place I work at, they lay off the experienced and put the inexperienced into positions of making bad decisions to reduce cost.  Sometimes it's a poor redesign.  Sometimes it's a bad supplier of raw material or subassemblies.  The specs are documented and agreed by low-bid Asian subcontractors, but after a while, the material or products delivered drift out of spec.

It is very sad.  I wished Norcold would wake up on this one.  Maybe we'll get lucky and an entrepreneur will redesign and manufacture the door hinge area and offer lifetime replacements for existing customers as well as the OEM supplier to Norcold.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2013, 06:50:29 pm »

Seems to be all too true, Ron.  Maybe if everyone called Norcold during their warranty period and claimed their hinge broke and got an extra door to use when the hinge breaks after the warranty runs out-- Norcold will decide it would be cost effective for them to change the hinge design.  Yeah, right... Haven't heard anything new on the class action suit against Norcold for their other problem. Guess they have bigger problems on their agenda.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2013, 08:05:50 pm »

This is an interesting thread. I see from 2007 to 2012 same problem. I saw on another forum, a problem with a component(microwave??) over the years. What actually happened. Manufacturer of component made too many, RV mf went and purchased a bunch at a discount and used them for their RV's for couple of years. And still under warranty whenever installed.  I have a feeling this is what has happened on this particular frige.  Would be interesting if people that had a problem would look at mf date of the frige.

Anyway, even if under warranty, why would you take a chance?  I'm going to do what Greg suggested and try and fix the problem, before it become a headache.  It would seem that anyone owning this frige would do the same.  I for one can do stuff like that at home,, but when your on the road a little hard to do.
Added this to part of my summer projects
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
chrisawyer

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 4/21/2011
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Umber
ExtColor: August Rust
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2013, 08:40:02 am »

Bit late on this discussion, but I've had two doors fall off! The first was replaced under warranty and the second I repaired by making a metal plate 4" x 1" x 1/8". Cut to the shape of existing hinge and epoxied and screwed back on - works just fine, but DON'T open the fridge door whilst travelling!!
Chris.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2013, 09:29:21 am »

I saw this tip in RV daily and remembered we had some threads on this, so thought I would add it.....pics did not show up but at the end I think you can clik on a llink to get to them

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston

RVing Tip of the Day Alternative fix to broken Norcold fridge hinge saves money
by Dick Wright
 Norcold refrigerator doors are notorious for the bottom hinge breaking because they are plastic. While you could replace the piece on the bottom, it's not available for Norcold. Their solution? Sell you a new door.There really is no bonding agent that will hold the hinge for the long haul. Searching the Internet provides a permanent fix. It was an obscure posting and I have not been able to find it again, but I did copy images of the fix for my own reference. I can't take personal credit for it but for Norcold owners it's a godsend, as it can save them hundreds of dollars.
 The first large photo shows a normal hinge pin for a Norcold door. Remove the door by unscrewing the pin in the top hinge.
What I did first was glue the broken piece into place with superglue. I then drilled a hole on each side of the hinge piece and reinforced it with small screws that went through both pieces.
 The last picture shows a piece of aluminum strap 1/8-inch thick the length of the door. You can purchase this at Home Depot or Lowes. Round the two outside corners. Drill and countersink holes every six inches. Drill the bottom of the door for each hole and temporarily attach with the first and last screw. Drill out the hinge pin hole being very careful to match up the new hole in the aluminum with the hole in the broken piece. Remove the aluminum strap and paint it black and allow it to dry thoroughly. Then replace all the screws and reset the door on the hinge pins. You now have a permanent fix and a hinge that is much stronger than the original.
For larger images of this, follow this link.
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 60
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2013, 09:43:50 am »

Sparky,
No link.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2013, 10:07:07 am »

Shoot,   took me a few minutes but found the link   they have a daily tip I copy all the good ones on to a word document and save them for the future... anyway here is the actual page...
tks for letting me know,,,

sparky

http://www.rvtravel.com/?q=daily-rv-tips-issue5209180
Greensleeves

Helpful Rating: 1
________
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Cafe'
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2013, 09:48:47 pm »

Ive read that Norcold offers a door hinge retro kit to prevent the door hinges from breaking. Has anyone tried this preventative measure? How many miles (or months) does it take for the hinges to fail? Were taking a 4000 mile trip soon and Id hate to have the door fall off in the middle of Montana
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2013, 10:44:14 pm »

Offering a kit to repair their own faulty design???????????
At what cost?

Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2013, 08:50:15 am »

Bob  very good point haha  I guess, don't know weather to laugh or cry,,,   anyway,,, Camping World also sells the fix up kits I believe For some reason 26bucks sticks in my head.  WE need a RV lawyer friendly to our community to bring a class action and bring a suit to replace all those hinges    I'm sorry I brought up this Sore subject but when I saw this tip wanted to put it with the thread. 

When I had the Beast here for Summer Projects I looked at my hinge,, I could not tell it plastic,,, so I left it alone,  maybe when I go over to exercise the genie I just might take the door off and bring it home.... I'm going to do something with it.. reinforce replace or something,,, I just do not want to be out on the road and have it break...
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2013, 09:19:40 am »

The best thing you can do to avoid a broken hinge is to remove the shelves on the door so you can't store anything on it.

Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2013, 09:23:58 am »

bob

good point,,, however,,hehe,,, I keep the door open when not in use,,, try to remember to close them when I drive but like all plans I forget,,,until I hear them banging around, which I'm sure is real good for that hinge,,, I have a cord with a flag that I hang for the antenna up/down   I guess I need one for the frige doors
Sparky
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2013, 09:35:22 am »

I place a warning tag on the steering wheel for things like antenna down, cabinets shut, bathroom and shower doors secured, etc.
Nothing quite like making a corner and hearing a loud bang to get your attention.

Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2013, 09:44:03 am »

Ive read that Norcold offers a door hinge retro kit to prevent the door hinges from breaking. Has anyone tried this preventative measure? How many miles (or months) does it take for the hinges to fail? Were taking a 4000 mile trip soon and Id hate to have the door fall off in the middle of Montana

I just called Norcold and inquired about the retro door hinge kit (their#634166) and mentioned that I had a "hairline" crack in my bottom hinge (not broken through) and if they would send me the kit I would be glad to install it on my own. I'm under warranty, but they told me to find and go to a dealer and they would replace the door. If I wanted their reinforcing hinge I could buy it at my expense, but they wouldn't sell it to me. They did say it would probably solve the problem and that I would be easy to install. No wonder Norcold has so many problems with nutjobs running their business. Seems like Thetford would have turned them around by now!
 shrug

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2013, 10:00:23 am »

Some companies are so screwed up even Superman would slow down.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: