Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Problems with Norcold refrigerator door  (Read 4061 times)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2013, 12:43:52 pm »

Ive read that Norcold offers a door hinge retro kit to prevent the door hinges from breaking. Has anyone tried this preventative measure? How many miles (or months) does it take for the hinges to fail? Were taking a 4000 mile trip soon and Id hate to have the door fall off in the middle of Montana

I just called Norcold and inquired about the retro door hinge kit (their#634166) and mentioned that I had a "hairline" crack in my bottom hinge (not broken through) and if they would send me the kit I would be glad to install it on my own. I'm under warranty, but they told me to find and go to a dealer and they would replace the door. If I wanted their reinforcing hinge I could buy it at my expense, but they wouldn't sell it to me. They did say it would probably solve the problem and that I would be easy to install. No wonder Norcold has so many problems with nutjobs running their business. Seems like Thetford would have turned them around by now!
 shrug

Looks like you can buy the hinge kit on line, this is one place.
http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12582&SID=46&DID=43&CID=146&BID=

2010  PC 2551
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2013, 01:18:06 pm »

Ive read that Norcold offers a door hinge retro kit to prevent the door hinges from breaking. Has anyone tried this preventative measure? How many miles (or months) does it take for the hinges to fail? Were taking a 4000 mile trip soon and Id hate to have the door fall off in the middle of Montana

I just called Norcold and inquired about the retro door hinge kit (their#634166) and mentioned that I had a "hairline" crack in my bottom hinge (not broken through) and if they would send me the kit I would be glad to install it on my own. I'm under warranty, but they told me to find and go to a dealer and they would replace the door. If I wanted their reinforcing hinge I could buy it at my expense, but they wouldn't sell it to me. They did say it would probably solve the problem and that I would be easy to install. No wonder Norcold has so many problems with nutjobs running their business. Seems like Thetford would have turned them around by now!
 shrug

Looks like you can buy the hinge kit on line, this is one place.
http://www.anyrvparts.com/ProductDetail.asp?PID=12582&SID=46&DID=43&CID=146&BID=

I had found it at Amazon for about $30 including shipping, but too stubborn to buy right now. Probably wait until close to end of warranty.  Grin

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2013, 07:33:18 pm »

I have had two hinge breaks at different times on our previous 2350.  The first was under warranty, and Norcold sent me a new door without any questions (they've had so many break, they expect claims).  The second happened when the warranty had expired, and they in so many words told me to bad--buy a new door.  Instead, I epoxied the hinge back on the door, and it worked fine.  They're aware of the design defect, but won't do anything to correct it.  If I had a hinge with a hairline crack, I'd call and tell them the hinge broke to get the new door--because it will break.  They don't want the old door back.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2013, 07:35:30 pm »

bob
   tks for site, I just bookmarked it for later use.   Next time I go out to exercise the genie, I 'm going to take the door off and the hinge, I got a lady across the street who does metal working,,, going to see if we can figure out a fix without ordering a kit... if we can will repost.. if not I'm going to buy a kit and replace,,, just not going to take a chance if can not figure a fix will order a kit for fall project prior to taking trip.

sparky
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 07, 2013, 10:23:02 pm »

I keep seeing references to a fix kit.  Not sure how that would work on our doors since the hinge is molded into the door.  Are you sure this fix isn't for a different fridge than PC installs?
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 07, 2013, 11:09:49 pm »

Sure looks flimsy to me.
I'd go with a brass plate rather than this.

However, I roughed up the plastic hinge (you know they have silicon mold release as molded, right?) and filled the voids with 2 part epoxy. Seems firm enough but you have to remember, the plastic bottom strip is flimsy as well.

I'm still convinced the best way to avoid a catastrophic failure to the new door, like we experienced on the old, is to not store anything on the door.
Unfortunately, my better half disagrees (I'm waiting for another failure).  Cry
But, as I'm only the fixer, what do I know?

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 09, 2013, 08:48:18 pm »

Well here we go again,,, I'm sure I posted this but does not show up,,, the mysteries of the Internet or me getting old..

Can someone do me a favor look at their refrigerator door and tell me how it comes    screw, nuts  size if possible,,, my unit is in storage and I want to take the door off and explore the hinge next week...  trying not to take the whole tool box out to the storage site when I exercise the genie next week   thanks

David sparks
2008 PC 2350
houston
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 09, 2013, 09:49:32 pm »

There's a hex-head screw at the top hinge. Remove it and the door just lifts off the lower pin.
Very simple.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2013, 08:05:00 am »

My top hinge is a hex head with a slot for a flathead screwdriver. The bottom hinge is a large plastic pice that rest on a metal plate. It must be the newer design I read about. I had a door break many years ago (1997 or 1998) but none since. I think the only people that need to worry about this are those who have models older than a couple of years ago, 2009 or before. Just my guess.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2013, 09:47:22 am »

thanks tom

Not sure about the years  without looking it seems some of the post were some that had 2011/10 units   I go back to what I said earlier betting PC got a good deal on some friges and used them more than one year,, still had warranty but were made earlier,,,, I'm still going to take the door off and bring it home and give it a look over tks again
David Sparks
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2013, 04:01:58 pm »

It's not only the older pc's that have the hinge problem.  The hinge broke on my 2010 twice: the first was the original door that came with the fridge, the second was the hinge on the replacement door from Norcold they sent me in 2011.  The door on my current 2012 looks identical to the one on my prior 2 pc's.
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2013, 07:18:24 pm »

Wonder what is going on then?  Rough roads?  No problem here as of now and we do mostly dry camping on pretty bad trails.  And my beer in the door has so far Not been a problemento-  :-)

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2013, 07:01:44 pm »

GOOD NEWS     BAD NEWS
   Went and exercised the genie this morning.  took a screw driver,  off came the hex nut no problem, three bolts holding the hinge bracket,  I used a 6mm nut to take it off...   messed around the with  the hinge,  METAL what the heck?????  lol,,,, I just know based upon all the other messages would be plastic..  bolted it back in, put the door back on and I'm done,  good news for me,  Bad news I 'm not doing anything else  haha... sorry.
sparly
lmichael

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 21, 2013, 02:14:53 pm »

Sparky, unless you have a totally different fridge, the metal part is the pin.  The molded plastic piece on the door is the part that breaks.  That's why I'm surprised there is a repair kit.  Norcold sends you a complete door when the part breaks.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 21, 2013, 05:55:32 pm »

Well HecK,,,,hmmmm okay took a pic of the hinge bracket,, it's all steel/metal  the door has a hole in it that sits on the hinge bracket... so you mean the spot where the door sits on the hinge breaks, well heck again haha,,,, I know they make hinge kits and I thought this was the fix,, crud thought I was in the clear,, I guess tks for breaiking the bad news haha...Okay will give it another look

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
Print

Jump to: