Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: rain entering my 2552  (Read 1261 times)
jmosier

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 12/29/2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit
ExtColor: Cafe
________

View Profile
« on: May 24, 2013, 07:13:36 pm »

Hello, I took possession of my 2552 in January of this year and am on my first long road trip.  Two nights ago it rained quite a bit and after the rain I found water on the floor behind the chair.  I moped up the water was soaked up about two cups of water.  The water is on the right side behind the angled area between the cab and the door.  Has anyone had the problem? If so please let me know how they found out where it water s coming in.  I have called Kermit but he never called me back.  Does anyone have his email address, I left it at home on my other computer.

Jim
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2013, 08:11:11 pm »

Jim,

You are the first person I read about having water leaking inside in such an area.  Others have mentioned water around a slideout from a wind-driven rain, but not this.  Please keep us informed as to your findings.

If it happens again without a rain storm, don't rule out the possibility that there is a plumbing leak under the sink somewhere with a very fine line of water flowing across the floor around the trim of the step.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2013, 11:04:39 pm »

Jim,
Here is the address that I've used to contact Karen at Phoenix to forward messages to Kermit:
Karen Hurtekant <karen@phoenixcruiser.com>
I've never received an email from Kermit, but have received phone calls returned when I asked to speak to him.
Good luck,
Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 02:03:36 am »

Kermit isn't as comfortable with email as we forum members are.  He would much rather talk than type.

gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 89
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 08:01:03 am »

jmosier

I would suggest  that you look at the roof mount of the antenna. Leaking water may have followed the antenna wire down. Are there any signs of water on the ceiling or wall ?

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 08:53:21 pm »

I like the antenna problem,, also check all the seams door awning and the sections, around that area of course outside,  do no forget water runs, so could be a couple of feet away,,, that's a lot of water so you should be able to find this HOLE??? or caulking problem fairly easy.  On our unit I get a little leak left side top windshiled, door area,, when I drive in the rain.. so I know it's probably in between the roof and , the top,, that small area between  the vehicle roof where it was cutaway and the top added. Very hard to get to ,,caulked it once,,leaked again but smaller amount,, when were sitting still no problem,, only driving rain. 
2008 PC 2350
Houston
David Sparks
jmosier

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2013, 10:19:26 am »

Thanks for your input.  There was no more rain during my 2ooo mile tripe to  yellowstone.  When i got home washed my unit and spent some time trying to find the leak.  Naturally no water was found.  I did recieve a call from Kermet.  He was of little help and had no suggestions.  I am looking for a location where I can get someone to take a look at it.  None of the dealers will touch it.  Camping world want 180.00 which is not reimburseable just to look at it.....
Different subject:
When I put out my honing the left arm makes a loud noise .  And the last time I put it out I had to give it a little help by pushing it out with my hand.  Anyone have this problem?

Jim
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2013, 11:27:26 am »

When i got home washed my unit and spent some time trying to find the leak.  Naturally no water was found.......I am looking for a location where I can get someone to take a look at it.  None of the dealers will touch it.  Camping world want 180.00 which is not reimburseable just to look at it.
Of coarse you can't find the leak.  That is Murphy's law.

I think the reason why it is so much money to look at the rig is that you would be paying for a pressure check.  They pressurize the motor home, soap it up and look for bubbles where air should not be leaking out.  Being under warranty, if a notable leak is found, I would hope PC-USA would cover the cost of diagnosis and sealing.  If no leak found, it would be your cost.  Maybe that is something to propose to Kermit.

gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2013, 02:10:46 pm »

jmosier,
    Make sure the knob that secures the arm on the awning is not overly tight.  That sounds like why that arm needed help to extend.
 The wire from the antenna has a rubber boot around it.  It snaps over the opening where it goes into the coach. I found that boot pops off when the antenna is raised.  I cleaned the area with alcohol and silicone sealed it so the boot can not come loose.  That is a possible leak area, but it should be noticeable inside the coach.

Bob
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2013, 02:51:09 pm »

One way to fined a leak is to have one person inside watching for water. The other person is on the roof with a water hose, no nosel, letting water run around any possible entery spots. Don't go to fast as the water needs time to run down into the motorhome. When the inside person calls out, you have found where it is. Do one spot then wait a minute otherwise you may pass the leak. After you find what you think is the leak, recheck that spot and the last couple of spots you watered, just in case you are faster than the water.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2013, 07:12:41 pm »

Shoot, I spent 10minutes commenting on this topic this morning and my message NO SHOWS. )*^%$U* oh well...

Okay,, try again,,, first thing,, you need to go on the roof and look...By the way  did you get on the roof??? now if you can not ,,,get you a kid from the neighborhood and under your supervision use a long extension ladder let him/her get up there and be your eyes.  Take some pics.  According to your earlier post there was a lot of water in the RV when it leaked,,, you were parked....

Pressurizing like an inner tube.  hmmm.  okay this may be hard to do,,,,someone needs to be on the roof again,,, but when you turn on your air you can feel the pressure inside the unit go up,,, just wonder if this would be enough to get some bubble leak on the top...

tom mentioned letting water run on the top and checking by area,,, I think if you got a spray bottle and went around the caulked areas,, spray wipe, spray wipe, you might be able to spot a bad caulking area,,, since your unit is new the caulk should look great....( I'm still voting on the antenna being the problem)

One last thought,,, you were out in May,,, raining,,, were you running the AC unit?  could the drain tube be plugged?  would be real easy and right on for the AC if plugged to run inside the roof to the chair...  a lot of the tubes get stuff in them especially when new,, saw lots of post on units and the drains etc,,,, I am not sure about this,,,, I only ran my unit once for couple of hours on last trip was getting the water from the AC off the rear end,,,, have not looked at the manual just to run... maybe some of the guys have some suggestions for checking,, guess you could run the AC for an hour or two and make sure it's draining ok

Keep us posted
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
jmosier

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2013, 07:50:22 pm »

Thanks everyone.  I have been on top of my coach and thought I lookedat everything.  I have never used the antenna.   I have a satellite.   I will take a closer look a wire and plug.

Jim
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2013, 07:29:42 am »

Our awning has a loud clank at the front rail when we extend it. I was wondering if it is normal or has something to do with the recall repair. Anyone know? The knob is not tight at all. It clanks when the metal bar pops off the metal upright track.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2013, 07:32:04 am by 2 Frazzled » Logged

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2013, 08:04:52 am »

Holly, It sounds like the arms need to be aligned. Ask the repairman when he comes for the recall about it.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Jim and Beth

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: March 2013
Model: 2910
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Full Body Dusk (2012 colors)
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2013, 09:19:36 am »

Our awning also snaps out on the front rail making a loud noise. It appears to be an installation problem because the awning is tight on one side when extended and loose on the other. Using a level, the two brackets mounted to the side are not parallel to each other.

Our awning is on the Dometic recall list and they have set up a repair order at Camping World. I plan to have them check the binding situation and see if it can be eliminated.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: