Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Stabilizers and Rear End Sag?  (Read 885 times)
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
Model: 2100
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile WWW
« on: May 29, 2013, 10:23:32 am »

I had a question recently about stabilizers and "rear end sag".  I know that some of you have installed stabilizers for sway, but does a potential Phoenix owner need a stabilizer for rear end sag? 

Advice appreciated.

Aimee, Webmistress
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2013, 11:12:19 am »

Hi Aimee,

The items typically installed are anti-sway bars and track bars, both can help driveability but will not raise the rear end.  I am not sure what a stabilizer is, maybe another name for an anti-sway bar?  There are air bags installed between the frame and axle that can be used to raise the rear end, I used them on a pick-up with camper and they worked very well.

Bob A

2010  PC 2551
billy
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 72
________
PurchDate: Feb, 6 2011. Same day Packers won super bowl
Model: 3100
________

Best Friends

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2013, 12:01:36 pm »

Only thing I installed on my PC was a track bar, that's keeps the coach from being pull from side to side when a truck passes u. There was a product called (I think) Sumo supports, think I have some papers on them,I'll look.

http://www.sdtrucksprings.com/sumo-springs

Here's a link, they work well for rolling, when turning corners
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 12:05:41 pm by billy » Logged

Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2013, 12:05:14 pm »

Hi Aimee,

PCs don't have rear end sag. If you are talking about the jacks to level it, they are optional but very useful. The Ford comes with anti-sway bars  but some people like a heavier bar to control the swaying when semi trucks pass you. I don't think my 2552 needs additional sway control. I just drive so fast that the trucks can't pass me.  LOL

I have put the new stainless Bilstein shocks on the front and rear to firm up the bounce and make it more like a sports car. Are they needed, NO, but I like them.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2013, 02:52:47 pm »

PCs don't have rear end sag.
Tom is correct for all but one or possibly two current day models and more earlier models.  Since the 2008 E350 came out, the sag has been reduced because the 2008 E350 chassis handles a heavier load than previous model years.  For current 2013 production, I think the rear end of a 2100 & 2400 on the E350 still may have a sagging problem.  The recent 2350 has less a problem (maybe none) because sometime in the past few years, PC-USA improved the weight distribution by rotating and moving the fresh water tank forward.

The sagging may not exist when those particular motor homes are coming off the PC production line, but rather after the owner loads the rig with personal belongings, a full tank of fuel, full tank of propane, and a full tank of fresh water.  Being that 2100s and 2400s are E350s and have the water tank over the rear bumper, the rear end starts to drop with the weight of the fresh water.  It's like putting a trailer on the rear hitch with a tongue weight of 400 pounds.  It's going to sag a little.

PC's made on the E350 chassis prior to 2008 have a more notable sagging problem because the chassis back then handled 1000 fewer pounds.  Our 2007 2350/E350 loaded for a trip has a little sag but not enough for me to do something about unless I planned to take ferries through Alaska.  Like the 2100 and 2400, our older 2350 has the fresh water tank over the rear bumper.

The most common and affordable means to eliminate a sagging rear end is the addition of rear air bags or adding one of more rear leaf springs per side.  Air bags are height adjustable.  The more air you put in, the higher the rear goes up.  But the amount of travel is limited to around 3 to 4".  At least that is what was with our first motor home.

Stabilizer bars, sway bars, and anti-sway bars are the exactly same thing going by different names.  They are used to stabilize the vehicle in winds and turns.  They reduce the amount of side-to-side lean.  They do not affect the height of the motor home.  Nor do heavy duty shocks, trac bars, or heavy duty steering stabilizers.  They only improve handling, not change the height.

CLICK HERE to see the Firestone air bags I mentioned.  The air is adjusted like a tire using the same type of valve system.  You can make them more user friendly having an on-board compressor and controls up front to adjust the air while driving.  That was the setup with our old rig.  I really liked it and used it.  I would adjust it less for a softer ride, more if more height or better handling was needed due to road conditions.

There are other air bag brands, but the Firestones seems to be the one of choice for affordability.  This based on my observation on other RV forums.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2013, 04:44:27 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2013, 08:44:34 pm »

Our 2400 has rear sag. Ford recommended adding a leaf to the rear springs. That helped the sag and also improved ride quality.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2013, 07:28:38 am »

I stand corrected. Sorry.

When I bought my 2350, I had the factory use the E450 instead of the E350. Much better choice for carrying the load. Only about one MPG less due to the larger van. I would think the cost of helper springs or air bags would go a long way toward paying for the upgrade. Not much help if you already have the PC.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2013, 07:46:27 am by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2013, 08:44:18 pm »

Thanks so much, Y'all! 

I knew it couldn't be a huge deal, because I never hear about it here, but I also knew the best answer would come by polling those who are "in the trenches" with the units day by day.

ThankYou

Aimee, Webmistress
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2013, 10:53:35 am »

I got a PM from a member here who said they could only get one inch of lift on their PC from air bags.  If that is the case across the board, air bags are not worth it.

I got 3 to 4 inches on my first rig with air bags but it was not an E350/E450 chassis.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:10:41 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2013, 09:33:45 am »

My 2551, 2010 had a tilt to the passenger side, it was due to a spacer that PC put in to avoid a sag the other way. I spoke to Kermit and he suggested that the spacer be removed. After it was removed, the vehicle levels perfectly on the road.

Greg & Kathy

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: