Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: New members looking for advice  (Read 2218 times)
wnc2551

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: June 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Dusk
________

View Profile
« on: May 31, 2013, 07:25:36 am »

Hi everyone!
We've been lurking for a couple weeks and have learned a lot from all your great posts. As fate would have it, now we have just found a 2007 2551 at a dealer and are seriously interested in it. We're impressed with the construction, the floorplan is perfect for our needs (has sofa slide), and everything seems to be in good shape considering the age and mileage. Has what we consider normal wear and tear on the interior--a few scratches on woodwork; carpet needs a good cleaning. Has the standard equipment plus leveling system, solar panel, back up camera and full body paint.

This would be our first motorhome; we owned a TT previously.

Here are a couple questions that we'd appreciate input on:
1. It has 58k miles and 1000 hours on the generator. Any concerns other than typical wear and tear?

2. Steering seemed vague on the test drive. Dealer will replace four back tires (front tires are 2009), balance and align the PC. Thoughts?

3. Dealer is touching up a few scratches on exterior, fixing awning, adjusting slide (was very creaky), and fixing screen door track which was loose.

3. Dealer is asking in the neighborhood of $49k, which is in line with NADA and a bit more than other similar units we can find. Our insurer says book value is $34,325 & that's all they will cover. So the question: what's a  reasonable price?

Sorry for the long initial post! We're usually more concise!
Thanks,
Jerry & Judy
BarbRN

________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 07:41:47 am »

Hi everyone!
We've been lurking for a couple weeks and have learned a lot from all your great posts. As fate would have it, now we have just found a 2007 2551 at a dealer and are seriously interested in it. We're impressed with the construction, the floorplan is perfect for our needs (has sofa slide), and everything seems to be in good shape considering the age and mileage. Has what we consider normal wear and tear on the interior--a few scratches on woodwork; carpet needs a good cleaning. Has the standard equipment plus leveling system, solar panel, back up camera and full body paint.

This would be our first motorhome; we owned a TT previously.

Here are a couple questions that we'd appreciate input on:
1. It has 58k miles and 1000 hours on the generator. Any concerns other than typical wear and tear?

2. Steering seemed vague on the test drive. Dealer will replace four back tires (front tires are 2009), balance and align the PC. Thoughts?

3. Dealer is touching up a few scratches on exterior, fixing awning, adjusting slide (was very creaky), and fixing screen door track which was loose.

3. Dealer is asking in the neighborhood of $49k, which is in line with NADA and a bit more than other similar units we can find. Our insurer says book value is $34,325 & that's all they will cover. So the question: what's a  reasonable price?

Sorry for the long initial post! We're usually more concise!
Thanks,
Jerry & Judy

We just bought one too, a little newer so we've been checking lots of RV's and prices.  I do know the mileage can hurt value and NADA does figure in for that.  Have you checked on the Traderonline for other units and prices of your year vehicle.  Condition is important but not so much when you get ready to trade or sell this unit later.  Full body paint does add quite a bit to the value.  We didn't get that on our 2010 we pick up today.  I would decide if you are satisfied and confident with the PC and then make an offer accordingly.  You might be surprised. 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2013, 10:15:51 am »

Jerry and Judy

I sent you a private message with my thoughts.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2013, 11:16:12 am »

Hi Jerry and Judy,

When talking price, that is always a topic of debate.  I suppose if it were me, I'd share with the dealer what the insurance company said, then offer $40,000 out the door with sales tax, license plates, title, and all the rest.  But that is a personal decision.

Mileage and generator usage would be of no concern to me.

A 2007 2551 is a good year to consider because you'll have the first year they made the inverter with twin batteries standard.  Only a few 2006s have that.  2007 PCs to today are pretty much the same rig with only minor deviations with exception to the slideout when in 2010 PC-USA included the fridge in it.

As far as the chassis is concerned, that 2007 2551 has the earlier E450 which I feel could be to your advantage in a strange way.  The pre 2008 E series chassis handles less of a load than the 2008-2013, but being the lightest of E450 PCs, such extra capability would only offer a rougher ride.  Of coarse there are many advantages to a 2008-2013 E450 chassis, but I am trying not to go there.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2013, 11:59:26 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
wnc2551

________
PurchDate: June 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2013, 07:08:41 am »

Thanks to all for your feedback. We spoke with the dealer about the differing values (now from 2 insurance companies) and will be interested in their response! We'll let you know what develops.
Jerry & Judy
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2013, 09:28:36 am »

Here are a couple of points.

The hours on the generator should not be a problem. If the generator still runs, well, you will want to take to Cummings dealer and have a full service. Then you will know its status. The real problem is underuse.

Tires, have all the tires changed, that will give you peace of mind, in having to remember what is old and what is new.

We purchased in 2012 (January) a 2010 2552S at not much more with only 9,000 miles -- for about 15% higher price. It was our first purchase too. For my first purchase I wanted a vehicle with a low potential for problems.

Many PC owners add stabilizers - we did -- and beefed up shocks to make the drive less spongy.

Hope this helps, we love our PC, it now has almost 25,000 miles and still no problems -- other than the generator, the prior owner had never

Greg & Kathy
Red Lodge MT
St. petersburg FL

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2013, 01:30:25 pm »

WNC2551:

Not sure there is much to add to what has all ready been said! I hope  you are all ready the happy owners of a new coach.  I would not be scared away by the 58,000 miles at all and to be honest the fact that it has been driven over the years makes be feel much better compared to those coaches that are of the same age with like 10,000 miles on them, that represents a lot of sitting time and seals that have dried out, etc.  The V-10 is one strong engine that with routine care can supply many, many miles of service.  Just think of the E-450 that are being beaten everyday in airport bus service, etc.  Like you are doing i would just make sure all the service records are presented, tires are completely checked out and fluids are all changed.  As for the 'wander"... the Ford I beam set up will always have some of that. Before I spent a ton of money on add on sway bars, etc i would play around a fair amount with air pressures.  On my 3100 I run 68 lbs in the front and 72 lbs in the rear, I have added the Roadmaster sway bars front and rear, steering stablizer, and Bilstein shocks but the air pressure adjustments has made the largest difference in how the chassis handles.  I had the 2551 and IMO I found the chassis a little heavy for the load that is was truly hauling, the 2007 that you are looking at does have the lower GVW so that may make the chassis a little better riding and handling.   best of luck!
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:22 pm »

WNC2551: As for the 'wander"... the Ford I beam set up will always have some of that. Before I spent a ton of money on add on sway bars, etc i would play around a fair amount with air pressures.  On my 3100 I run 68 lbs in the front and 72 lbs in the rear, I have added the Roadmaster sway bars front and rear, steering stablizer, and Bilstein shocks but the air pressure adjustments has made the largest difference in how the chassis handles.

I also have the 3100; and, after weighing with a normal load (full fuel and water, 350# of passengers, and the stuff for RVing), I feel like 70-75# for the front tires and the maximum 80# in the rear tires are the least that can be considered safe. Have you found some way to shift weight forward? I have not weighed my individual tires, but would expect the driver side rear to weigh the heaviest on the rear axle. I didn't weigh with a toad attached, but would expect that I'd be very close to the rear GAWR.  

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 03:20:39 pm »

Shipper:

Fully loaded...all tanks full, with two people and the dog in the coach the GVW was 13600, 900 under max., front was 4460, 540 under max.; rear was 9140, 460 under max.   I did not weigh each corner  but would guess the left rear corner to be the most loaded because of the water tank.   I used Michelin's tables to come up with 68 front and 72 rear (each ax. total weight by 2)   What am I doing wrong?   Thanks.
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 06:49:39 pm »

Shipper,

The point about the rear left water tank and corner weights is the key why to run with 80# on the rear duals. Similarly, units with front and rear slide-outs are considerably overweight with full tanks. These should be run with minimum water, empty holding tanks movable weight forward to the right side.

Dick
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2013, 09:46:29 am »

Dick/Shipper:

Let me first correct the record and my error....water tank in my 3100 is under the passenger rear bed so left side facing the unit or right side from the rear of the coach!  Keeping the GVW at it lowest should be everyone's goal and certainly is mine and i run with empty tanks whenever I can.  i am going to get each corner on the scales ASAP because I am just not sure that the weight on the rear axle will justify the 80 lb rating that really makes the coach ride very hard and will rattle your teeth when their is not a full load on board. I would prefer to not run over inflated tires all the time to cover the random times when I might be at max rear axle rating. 
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2013, 09:39:06 am »

Where's our update,,, what happened?????
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 09:28:22 am »

Finding individual corner scales is not easy.....give me some time.   Thanks
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 10:29:04 am »

Dick/Shipper:
Let me first correct the record and my error....water tank in my 3100 is under the passenger rear bed so left side facing the unit or right side from the rear of the coach!  Keeping the GVW at it lowest should be everyone's goal and certainly is mine and i run with empty tanks whenever I can.  i am going to get each corner on the scales ASAP because I am just not sure that the weight on the rear axle will justify the 80 lb rating that really makes the coach ride very hard and will rattle your teeth when their is not a full load on board. I would prefer to not run over inflated tires all the time to cover the random times when I might be at max rear axle rating.

I also misspoke confusing the location of the water tank and H/W heater which holds 6 gallons and are on the passenger side. My unit weighed in at 13, 970, with 4510 in front and 9460 in rear. Probably one of the main differences in our weights is the dual pane windows. Not knowing the different wheel weights on the rear axle is why I felt you need to carry 80#. In the South, we have farm centers that often have a single weigh scale. I understand that if you weigh only each side (4 measurements) that the single scale would work to get the individual weights. If the slide offsets the water tank, then you might reduce the rear to 75# but only after weighing confirmed it. I will try to do that next time I have my 3100 out in the farm center area.

PS I would be concerned about the 72# because you are too close even if each side weighed evenly. Your gauge could be off slightly, temps could be cooler, you might add more weight without thinking (someone lies on a bed while driving), you might develop a slow leak,  etc. I think under inflation is the cause of most blowouts.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 10:48:28 am by Shipper » Logged

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
ragoodsp

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 03:14:42 pm »

Shipper:

When you were on the scales did you have full holding tanks as well as water?  Interesting that you are fairly heavy on the rear axle compared to mine at 9140...I do not have double panes so that would account for some savings for sure.  I may go up a little in the back but I am leaving the front where they are at 68-70. The state of NH uses four corner scales for truck safety checks but they do not like doing "freebie" checks on RV's  I have been told.  Thanks.  Ron

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: