Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Storm and Inverter and Sani-con pump station  (Read 990 times)
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April, 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:22:41 pm »

We are the proud owner of a 2350 PC that we just picked up at Elkhart 2 weeks ago. Moreover we are first time owner of an RV. Naturally we will have all kinds of questions and problem that we will be facing for years to come.
Last week we took our RV to the local state park for a trial run. Saturday night there was small storm brewing in the the evening. In the middle of the night, the Invertor Control located right above the GenSet control started beeping in the middle of the night. It stopped beeping after a minute or so. I decided to go back to sleep and forgot about it.
The next morning, we packed up the RV and headed on out of the Park. We made our first stop at the Dump Station. First thing I noticed was that the button to the dump valve switches were not lighted up. I was finally able to physically pull open the valves to the gray and black water tank to complete the dumping business. At this time my wife was checking around and notice that the Inverter switch was off and she turn the switch on. The red button to the dump valve switches light up and the macerator pump start working again.
I am just wondering whether the storm and inverter and the malfunction of the dump valve switches are all related. Also if a surge protector will eliminate any of these problem.
The funny thing was that when I picked up our RV, I specifically asked Kermit and Stuart if a surge protector is a good idea. They both claimed that in their 30 some years of RVing, they never have use a surge protector.

2010 2350 with slideout
PJ Corey

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 4/2010
Model: 2551
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:18 am »

There could have been a relationship between the storm and the inverter clicking away. Some older campgrounds and state parks have low power.  A storm could cause spikes or even worse a brownout.  A surge protector costs about $200 and will give you limited protection.  Personally, I wouldn't bother with those.  Plus, your $200 investment could be easily stolen off the power post.  To be fully protected the cost goes up to about $400-$500 and it is hardwired.  If I had the extra money I would do the hardwire but at this point I check the power at the posts before hooking up and will move sites if I detect a problem. 
rockrat

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: April, 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: grey
ExtColor: umbra
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:24:44 am »

Could any one tell me the name of the specific meter use to test the power post at the campsite? And would they have it at Lowe's or do I have to go to Camping World to shop for it? Thanks

2010 2350 with slideout
PJ Corey

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: 4/2010
Model: 2551
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 05:43:46 pm »

This does the trick and is inexpensive:  http://the-gadgeteer.com/2003/12/23/kill_a_watt_electric_usage_monitor_review/

Paula
Santa Fe
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: