Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: EXERCISING THE GENERATOR  (Read 986 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:28:38 am »

Couple of questions.

EXERCISING THE GENERATOR, I exercise the genie (while in storage) every 4 weeks, also I drive the RV couple of miles to move tires, mark them so that they do sit on the same spot.  Is this routine pretty normal and other suggestions?

OIL--- I'm using synthetic, it seems i'm getting different opinions regarding how long to run it  and changing the oil.  What are you opinions and suggestions.

BTW, unit is in storage now (covered),, I do not travel in the summer, too hot, back out in the fall.
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 12:24:15 pm »

Sparkey:   Sounds to me like you are utilizing the right approach.  I might want to go a few extra miles to make sure all is warmed up well and make sure the generator has a load on it of a least 50%; just running the gen set with no load does not do much.  best of luck.  Ron
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2013, 09:01:20 pm »

thanks good reminder,,, excellent reminder about driving the unit,,, need to drive it far enough to really heat up the engine, burn some of the carbon off,,of course want take long here in Texas it's already hot haha tks
David
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2013, 11:05:34 pm »

We've always done ours bi weekly and run the A/C with it.  Drive it at least once a month if not being used.  Now that it's easier to pull out and park this one, we'll do it more often I imagine.  We park on wooden boards, not on the concrete, as advised by tire mfg.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2013, 10:16:18 am »

As some of you know, our rig is stored indoors in climate control.

I run the generator only just prior to the first time out for the season and of coarse during trips, but never off season.  I figure some generators sit around in warehouses for years waiting for a buyer.   Why would this be any different?  With 10% ethonal in the fuel filtered for fuel injection, the carburetor stays clean after the fuel has evaporated with no residue to speak of.  The garage is kept warm and dry during the cold weather.  In the summer, the rig is kept cool from the garage being partially in ground and very well insulated.

So far so good after 6 years.  Yes it takes some cranking to get the generator started the first time of the season, and it runs a little rough for the first couple minites.  But it always smoothes out nicely once warmed up.

Indoor storage has so many benefits that I wonder if it could pay for itself with brake preservation, generator, chassis, tires, house seals, caulk and all.  I wonder how much more indoor heated storage would cost you, compared to outdoor lot storage?  Since the economy tanked, there are so many industrial buildings for lease.  Maybe you could call an owner and work out a deal.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 10:22:49 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2013, 10:14:58 am »

I don't agree with not running the generator under load occasionally. I had another motor home that I never ran the generator all summer long. In the winter on my first place to use it, it would not start. The carburetor had to be removed and cleaned. Now I run for about 15 minutes every 4-6 weeks and use my A/C as the load. I have had zero problems in 10 years.  exactly!

John
JimDenny

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: March 2010
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2013, 07:43:26 pm »

I've had five motorhomes since 1994, and have also exercised the generator under load with no ill effects.  When I needed it, it started and ran flawlessly.   exactly!
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2013, 10:12:32 am »

I keep my RV in a covered locked storage shed. We do not worry about hard freezes too much in Houston. I worry more about UV and cooking the unit in the sun.. going next week to run the genie and do some measuring for my projects. Last time I went out  is was 84degrees inside the unit.  Getting some good points about exercising the genie.   

Oil- I asked one of the sales guys at auto zone about Mobil One,,, he says they guarantee the syn oil for 12,000 miles.  I think I'm going to go with about 6 to 7,000,, better than reg oil.. you know it use to be every 3000miles to change,,, the manufacturers are building much better vehicles now, also the gas is better and burns better,, still looking for some thoughts on oil changes

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2013, 12:55:17 pm »

Oil- I asked one of the sales guys at auto zone about Mobil One,,, he says they guarantee the syn oil for 12,000 miles.  I think I'm going to go with about 6 to 7,000,, better than reg oil.. you know it use to be every 3000miles to change,,, the manufacturers are building much better vehicles now, also the gas is better and burns better,, still looking for some thoughts on oil changes

I use Castrol Edge synthetic.  At 20,900 miles with 5,700 miles on the oil, I sent a sample to Blackstone Labs.  The analysis showed no abnormal wear of the engine and the oil still had lots of additive left, they recommended going 7,000 miles.  I believe Ford recommends 5,000 miles for heavy duty use; based on my oil analysis I would be comfortable exceeding that.  I know it could be a warranty issue, but I am not concerned about the V10 failing, and the warranty expires in a couple years for me.

I change my own oil, so I like knowing that I can go 5,000 to 7,000 miles on an extended trip and then change the oil when I get back home.

Bob A

« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 03:20:17 pm by bobander » Logged

2010  PC 2551
JoeyD

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2013, 08:39:02 pm »

I have a 2013, 2910 on a Ford E450... the book says to change the oil at 7,500 and the Ford Service Center concurs.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2013, 09:31:25 pm »

I have a 2013, 2910 on a Ford E450... the book says to change the oil at 7,500 and the Ford Service Center concurs.

My 2010 manual puts the oil change at 7,500 miles for vans operating under normal conditions, it also recommends 5,000 miles if the van is carrying heavy loads.  I figure that a fully loaded RV is considered a heavy load, unfortunately the manual doesn't specifically address the cutaway model made into an RV, it is just my assumption.  Interesting that the Ford Service Center considers an RV conversion to be normal operating condition for a van.  Anyway, after seeing the oil analysis, I feel comfortable going 7,500 miles regardless of what I think the manual says.

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2013, 08:24:39 am »

The chassis owners manual covers light application E150 vans through heavy duty E450 Dual Rear Wheel rigs.

I agree with you Bob.  By default, every motor home is considered abnormal/extreme opperating conditions, and therefore owners should follow the most frequent oil change interval recommendations.  This because motorhomes always carry a full load.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: