Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Best Choice In Secondary Braking For Towed Vehicle  (Read 1896 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: April 03, 2010, 10:01:33 pm »

We replaced our previous tow with a 2006 Jeep Liberty.  Being nearly twice the weight at 3800 pounds, we need secondary braking when towing.  I am strongly considering a US Gear Unified Tow Brake system.  See their promotional video here:

http://www.usgear.cc/utb_video.htm

It seems the most effective system available.  Does anyone here have this braking system?  I would like your opinion.

I plan to install it myself.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
rwinsko
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2010, 08:48:12 pm »

Ron,
As you may  or may not know, we have traded our 2551 diesel in for a 35 ft Diesel pusher Motor home. The Phoenix was just too small for us to live full time in.
That said, I installed the ready brake for my Ford Escape. Used it with the Phoenix and transferred it to the new motor home. It was easy to install into the escape and worked very well. I had the optional indicator LED on the dash of the motor home to signal when the toad brakes were on. For the price ($350 for the add on receiver) it did the job. It is 100% mechanical and simple to operate.  also nothing to disconnect except for the two aviation cables on the hitch. Also installed the emergency breakaway cable. 

http://www.readybrake.com/brake-systems.html
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 09:20:07 am »

Thanks Dick for the input.

Your system does adjust brake pressure pending inertia.  Very simple, very interesting.  I will give this consideration.

The Unified has varying brake pressure as well, but it more closely matches the amount of pedal force you apply to the motor home brake pedal.  Like the Ready Brake, the harder you brake the RV, the harder the tow vehicle will brake.  But this system also has a vacuum system in the tow that awakens the power brake booster to further opperate the tow brakes much more effectly.

The Unified system has a small control module in the RV for the driver to adjust the amount of tow brake sensitivity, which is a very nice feature.  You can adjust the tow brake performance as you drive the RV so you get it set "Just Right" for best braking action.

Similar to the Ready Brake, there is nothing to handle once the system is installed.  The system is installed out of sight in the tow vehicle.  When disconnting the tow from the RV, You simply unhook the hitch and wire harness like there is no braking system at all.

One thing for sure, the Ready Brake is simple, the Unified is not.

I asked Kermit if Phoenix Cruisers are pre-wired for secondary braking.  He said "no".  Whatever system any Phoenix Cruiser owner gets, be sure to buy the model/kit with the extra wiring.

Dick did you buy the 2551 diesel from East Acres?  Regardless, if you still own it and are trying to sell it, email me all the data, and pictures too to ron.dittmer@att.net    If I hear of anyone looking for a diesel, I can forward your data to them.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 09:40:02 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 09:10:50 am »

Well, I decided to go all the way getting a Unified system.  The Phoenix Cruiser requires model UTB-1000.

This is it----->http://www.usgear.cc/unified_tow_brake.htm

I found one on ebay for $899 from an RV dealership.  They had it on a shelf for 1.5 years and wanted it gone.  The next lowest price I found was PPLMotorhomes at $988.  Both offered free shipping and no sales tax for me.  I will be receiving it early next week.  I will report on how the installation goes, and functionality afterwards.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: