Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Thetford Lubricant  (Read 586 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: June 19, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »

Our toilet blade was starting to stick again even though we had lubricated it this winter.  While shopping we found a sale on the Thetford brand lubricant as shown here http://www.thetford.com/Home/Products/ChemicalsCleanersHome/ToiletSealConditioner/tabid/181/Default.aspx

We called Thetford and asked them how long we should let this lubricant sit on the blade.  They said the longer the better.  We poured enough in to cover the blade and let it sit for a couple of weeks.  After using the toilet this weekend we could really notice the difference.  The blade closes completely and at a very fast rate.  The foot pedal is nice and smooth and I do not feel that we are using too much water to clean the bowl.

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2013, 07:57:58 am »

The add says it is based on "Silicone-based formula". I am wondering what the difference is between using this product and just spraying it with silicone spray? Seems like the spray I use on all the other rubber parts and slide out would work here also. The new WD40 silicone spray is waterproof, so the can says. What do you think?

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2013, 07:56:27 pm »

Some silicone sprays are formulated with solvents that will attack plastics. The solvents usually evaporate fairly quickly, but me, I'd stick with same brand.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 09:37:26 am »

Tom,

While in FL this past winter we did use the silicone srpay and also tried a silicone grease.  It did work but did not seem to last too long.  Since the Thetford brand was on sale we thought we'd see if there were any different results.  The Thetford brand has a consistency a little thicker than water.  We let it sit for a couple of weeks and what a difference in operation.  The blade really closes smoothly with no hesitation.  Admittedly, when in FL we couldn't let it sit for a couple of weeks for obvious reasons.  It would be interesting to see if other brands, sitting for a long period would also work.

Sue
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 11:04:45 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 11:02:11 am »

Sue,
I went by the RV dealer I used to work at yesterday. They were already sold out of the stuff. I asked the owner about it and he told me he had never used it but that Thetford makes good products and I might want to try it. My only concern is, if I understand you,  you pour it in and let it sit. I seems like it would work on the top of the top seal, but I don't understand how it works on the bottom or inside the groove of the seal. When I have sprayed in the past I always open the valve and sprayed all over the seal. I do appreciate your input and I bet you a dollar I will end up trying it after my next stop at Camping World. Wink

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: