Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Upcoming Cruiser Reunion,  (Read 782 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: July 01, 2013, 06:47:45 pm »

HiThere
   Looking forward to the reunion but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions about camping in Elkart for the Labor Day wkend before venturiing up to Petosky.  Holliday weekends usually require 3 day stay. I see there is a Elkart Campground which is a Good Sam park.  Has anyone ever stayed there?  Im coming from the Lancaster PA area and plan to start out around Aug.25th and take my time.    All suggestions appreciated.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 327
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2013, 07:15:02 pm »

We've stayed at Twin Mills Camping Resort (about 20 miles from Elkhart).  A large but very nice campground.  We have also stayed at the Elkhart Campground in Elkhart.  It was also okay but we enjoyed Twin Mills somewhat better.  A word of caution about the water in Elkhart.  If you can fill your fresh water tank at home you would be wise to do so.  The water around Elkhart is very hard and full of iron.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
jampodd

________
PurchDate: 11/2012
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2013, 07:43:58 pm »

I won't be able to attend the reunion this year but unless there is a reason to camp in Elkhart you might want to check out Frankenmuth, MI. The town has a nice street with many shops to walk down and a few miles away is a huge outlet mall. From there the reunion area is only about 3 hours away.

Jim Poddany - 2552
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 90
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2013, 10:15:01 pm »

Shipshewana has two campgrounds about 20 miles east of Elkhart. Tom Hanlon recommended it and we were happy with it. We loved shopping in the Amish bulk food store there. We stayed in Shipshewanna north which is close to the highway and Tom stayed in the south campground. It was kind of cool to wake to the sound of horses clopping along with an Amish buggy.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2013, 08:10:59 am »

We have also stayed at the Shipshewana South Campground.  Very nice!  The Amish bulk food store is called E&S and it does have some great bargains.  If you are looking for "HIGH QUALITY" meat try Yoders Market down the block from E&S (right if front of the Flea Market).  The meat is all ready frozen but it is like meat from the "olden days".  Everytime we are in the area I fill up the PC freezer with meat and we eat good for a few weeks after that.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2013, 08:14:56 am »

We have also stayed at the Shipshewana South Campground.  Very nice!  The Amish bulk food store is called E&S and it does have some great bargains.  If you are looking for "HIGH QUALITY" meat try Yoders Market down the block from E&S (right if front of the Flea Market).  The meat is all ready frozen but it is like meat from the "olden days".  Everytime we are in the area I fill up the PC freezer with meat and we eat good for a few weeks after that.

Sue
Thanks for all lthe tips.  I live in Amish country and enjoy the amish markets and they are great. Good food so I am very familar with their goods. 
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2013, 08:17:50 am »

We've stayed at Twin Mills Camping Resort (about 20 miles from Elkhart).  A large but very nice campground.  We have also stayed at the Elkhart Campground in Elkhart.  It was also okay but we enjoyed Twin Mills somewhat better.  A word of caution about the water in Elkhart.  If you can fill your fresh water tank at home you would be wise to do so.  The water around Elkhart is very hard and full of iron.

Sue
I had that Twin Mills campground in mind and did not seem impressed with the looks of the Elkart camp online.  Thanks for the tip on the water. ThankYou
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2013, 08:24:11 am »

Sue
Thanks for all lthe tips.  I live in Amish country and enjoy the amish markets and they are great. Good food so I am very familar with their goods. 

We go up to Lancaster two or three times a year to stock up on the food stuff and fill our bellys. We stay at Flory's campground in Ronks. We really enjoyed staying in Shipshewanna south campground for the same reasons. The resturtant at the corner of Rt5 and Rt20 has some great Amish cooking also.
We stopped at Frankenmouth one year and it was fun except for all the time my DW spent in the Christmas store. Way to much for me. Food as also great.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2013, 02:08:40 pm »

I had that Twin Mills campground in mind

Another note about Twin Mills - it is part of the Passport America Parks so if you are a member it is half off.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: