Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Anyone Know How To Replace A Length Of High Pressure Water Line?  (Read 573 times)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« on: July 11, 2013, 10:56:57 am »

I would ask the factory but they are shut-down until the 15th.

I need to replace a length of white pressure line (don't ask me why  Cry ).  The white pipe with black collars, I don't know how to work that, or where to buy it.  Can anyone help me?

This is the water line fitting in question, seen at the bottom of the picture.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 296
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2013, 11:58:31 am »

Ron,

There are a number of ways to fix water lines depending on where the break is.  It is hard to tell from your diagram exactly where you are having a problem.  Is it right at the fitting or further down the line?

In our 2012 the PEX white tubing is under the name of Canpex that is manufactured by Vanguard Pipe & Fittings Ltd.  Here is the website for info on it http://cbsupplies.ca/displayProduct.php?id=48 

The fittings for our 2012 can be found on these websites http://www.vanguard.ca/displayProduct.php?id=32   or    http://www.vanguard.ca/displayProduct.php?id=33

Also go to you tube and search under RV WATER LINE REPAIR or PEX RV WATER LINE REPAIR.   You'll get a few videos to show what others have done.  Trailer life also has some educational videos on you tube on how to fix a water line in an RV.

Here is a You Tube video that shows what you can do to fix it with a crimping tool.   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8J1yHRuFWs   This looks to be how ours is done in our 2012.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2013, 12:37:04 pm »

Thanks Barry,

I need roughly a 12" length that is seen in that picture.  I do not need the brass fittings.  Just the 12"-16" of white pipe, two of those black collars, and a special tool if required for the collars.

I will do some internet research for the PC interconnect system.  That video did not show how to use the black collars.  The demo mentioned that they are copper, but they look like plastic.

The one video mentions "Rescue Tape".  Not sure how to feel about that for a permanent fix.

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2013, 12:58:13 pm »

Ron,

Ours look like plastic as well but according to everyting I read the rings are black copper crimp rings that have a black coating as a surface treatment that doesn't add to their dimension. The brass insert fittings and black copper crimp rings are then used as connections for CANPEX series tubing in 3/8" to 1" sizes by using a full-circle crimp tool, designed specifically for this purpose.  I wouldn't use the rescue tape as a permanent fix either.

Barry and Sue 
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2013, 02:02:48 pm »

Ron

Check with Home Depot they carry PEX tubing for home use.  They should have all the parts and perhap you could rent the crimper from them.

Barry and Sue 
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2013, 03:26:49 pm »

Ron,

I need to replace one of my hot water bypass valves because it is stuck in the open position, came that way, fortunately we don't need to winterize.  My concern was how to remove the existing copper crimp ring without damaging the tubing.  Home Depot has the crimp tool and a crimp ring removal tool, looks like it catches it carefully at the edges and then cuts through.  The tools were not cheap, maybe $50 for both, so I haven't invested in them yet.  They sell PEX tubing, crimp rings, and tools and somehow I convinced myself that they were interchangeable with what we have in the RV, not sure how I did that now.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2013, 03:31:03 pm »

Thanks all,

I will stop at HD tonight and ask for help there.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2013, 10:43:31 pm »

I stopped first at Menards.  They had an Apollo brand crimping kit on clearance for $24, regularly $89 so I bought it.  It handles 4 different diameters.  I bought the crimping rings 25 for $4.50 and 4 feet of PEX pipe so I got what I need to do the job.  I was going to use a quick-connect thingy made by Shark Bite but the damage I did is right next to an elbow which won't work.

Here is the crimping kit.  http://www.hardwareandtools.com/zoom.php?u=670750193088&t=Set

Thanks again fellows for the tips on what I am working with.  I learn something new all the time.  I will report once done.  One challenge is the limited work space.  I see that I'll be disassembling some things to get to the area.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:53:44 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 12:07:51 pm »

Boy oh boy.  What a Pandora's Box..

To replace the damaged 10" horizontal pipe from elbow to elbow, I had to disconnect the kitchen faucet.  What a challenge that was with wing-nut connections bunched up together with the sprayer hose.  Once disconnected, there was no way to reconnect it.  It was obvious to me, initial installation happened during assembly of the cabinet.

Here is the faucet as it was originally installed.  It was a real struggle to disconnect the lines because the wing nuts interfered with adjacent pipes, and impossible to re-connect.  They cannot be spread apart inside the cabinet because the PEX plumbing passes through a hole below (see picture in opening post), locking them bunched together.  If disconnecting the PEX below to lift the faucet, the connections can't pass through the hole in the countertop because the wing nuts are too big.

Here was my solution, replacing the setup with flex lines that pass through the countertop hole (after minor filing of the hole to a slight elongation) and easily connect inside the cabinet.

The flex lines connect to the PEX pipes with these.  Working the crimping tool inside the confining area was also a challenge  I had to remove the black drain pipe to get the tool in there.

Cost was cheap.  Though an opportunity for a faucet upgrade, my wife really likes the plain white single handle faucet with the sprayer.

In Summary...
If you have to disconnect your kitchen faucet for "Any" reason, you face some serious challenges.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 10:22:42 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: