Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Where to buy good tires  (Read 1041 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: July 22, 2013, 05:56:22 pm »

When Camping World said my tires are starting to Dry Rot I could have fainted.  So I will get a second opinion. But was wondering if the PC factory would be the place to go as we head to the reunion and stop at PC factory on the way. Of course I would call ahead.
   Or should, if second opinion is the same, I do it before heading anywhere.  Don't leave home for reunion until Aug 22 taking my time.  I don't need a blowout.   What should I expect in cost.  Camping world wants $1000.plus for Good Year tires which includes mounting, balancing, getting rid of tires. They have the gaul of charging 7.50 for shop towels on top of that. Very irratating. 
  What brand is a good rated tire?  I have Michelins now. They look brand new but the former owner did not protect them.
 Help 
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2013, 06:05:39 pm »

By all means, get a 2nd opinion.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2013, 07:31:54 pm »

I agree 100% get a second and perhaps a third opinion before you lay out that kind of cash.

The PC comes standard with Michelin LTX M/S  LT225/75R16E1 115R B (load range  E) which is a standard light truck tire.

I have had 2 PC's and the Michelin tires have served me well but any high quality light truck tire would do.  Any good quality tire shop will carry several light truck tires. 

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2013, 07:48:09 pm »

Always get second opinion on tires,,, how many miles.on yours,, going to assume stored outside. again another topic we have covered and how bad the sun is on the units and the tires.                                        I noticed I believe yours is a  2010,,, wow, that's not good, I'm running around 2008 tires same year no problem. 15000miles on them... research this on the forum, we have had lots of discussions on tires, cracking, uv, etc.... 

If you do get tires post where you got them and let us know the cost so we can all go out and get a better deal haha..... also absolutely make sure you go get the RV aligned....
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2013, 10:51:55 am »

PC does not sell tires.

Stick with Michelin if you really need them. Your unit is not that old, you can push those dates if tires don't have big cracks.
Use 303 Protectorant on your sidewalls, it really does help protect them. NEVER use Armourall.

Shop around for price and make sure the price includes, mounting, balancing, disposal, etc.

Sam's Club can probably order them for you as well as Costco.
With Sam's as long as RV is under 10' tall they will do them.
When 2551's were on a E350 they fit, not sure if E450 will fit or not.

John
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2013, 11:12:34 am »

I can't speak to longevity but I had 6 Toyo "Open Country H/T" tires of the same size and load range installed to our 2350 2 years ago. The tread style was not M/S type and they sure rode better than did the Michelins. Out the door cost was just under $1K in Scott's Bluff, NE.
As a side; if I can't get an American or German tire (I won't buy Goodyear), I'd rather buy Japanese than French.

FWIW, there's a Toyo dealer in Williamsport.

ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2013, 01:46:49 pm »

We all have opinions on tires that is for sure!  I would for kicks check with Michelin to see if there is not something they might do to compensate you and get you into a new set of tires in consideration of the fact that yours appear to have not lasted as along as they should have. I have had superior luck with Michelin standing behind their product 150%.  As far as where tires are made you might want to read on the sidewalls, Michelin maybe a French company but all of their N. America tires are made here in the USA.  Bridgestone makes all of their N. American tires here in Firestone plants.  It is a world economy these days.  Again, my vote would be to go with Michelin's, they are worth every cent you pay extra for them.   best of luck, Ron
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2013, 06:33:45 pm »

some good post   I forgot to mention, when first got the unit went up to Discount tires. they have a graph or card to check the cracking on the sidewalls,,mine was ok,,,,,  also someone mentioned dates.. I think it's three years on returns,   you did not say when yours was made,, I think you have 2010 unit? someone had a problem with tires on a forum and did get a refund on their Michelins.

Bob  tks for that info on the toyo tires. not a bad price   did you go and get realigned?  also you say you have a 2011,, how many miles did you get on yours,, you must be burning up the highway haha

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2013, 07:02:30 pm »

Sparky,
Our 2011 has about 16K miles on it now and the Michelins look good. Ours did not need an alignment or any trick stuff and handles/tracks great. Tire wear is very smooth and even. I have the front tires swapped side to side every 5K miles.

frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2013, 07:22:23 pm »

Always get second opinion on tires,,, how many miles.on yours,, going to assume stored outside. again another topic we have covered and how bad the sun is on the units and the tires.                                        I noticed I believe yours is a  2010,,, wow, that's not good, I'm running around 2008 tires same year no problem. 15000miles on them... research this on the forum, we have had lots of discussions on tires, cracking, uv, etc.... 

If you do get tires post where you got them and let us know the cost so we can all go out and get a better deal haha..... also absolutely make sure you go get the RV aligned....
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
   PC has 22000 miles on her. When I got it in January this year it has already 20,000 on PC.  I keep the MH garaged and always cover the tires when I am staying any length of time in camp.  They are 2008 tires but have performed well.  So I will get that second opinion  hopefully next week.
  thanks
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2013, 07:29:46 pm »

PC does not sell tires.

Stick with Michelin if you really need them. Your unit is not that old, you can push those dates if tires don't have big cracks.
Use 303 Protectorant on your sidewalls, it really does help protect them. NEVER use Armourall.

Shop around for price and make sure the price includes, mounting, balancing, disposal, etc.

Sam's Club can probably order them for you as well as Costco.
With Sam's as long as RV is under 10' tall they will do them.
When 2551's were on a E350 they fit, not sure if E450 will fit or not.
  What is you experience with ARmourall.  I just bought and can return Armourall Protectant.  They have been around for years.  I was going to wash the tires with the cleaner and then apply this Armourall Extreme Tire Shine.  ????  Plus I don't belong to Sam's or Costco club.   
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2013, 07:34:48 pm »

We all have opinions on tires that is for sure!  I would for kicks check with Michelin to see if there is not something they might do to compensate you and get you into a new set of tires in consideration of the fact that yours appear to have not lasted as along as they should have. I have had superior luck with Michelin standing behind their product 150%.  As far as where tires are made you might want to read on the sidewalls, Michelin maybe a French company but all of their N. America tires are made here in the USA.  Bridgestone makes all of their N. American tires here in Firestone plants.  It is a world economy these days.  Again, my vote would be to go with Michelin's, they are worth every cent you pay extra for them.   best of luck, Ron
Thanks I will contact Michlelin and see what they say.  I will take MH to the Auto/truck shop who has inspected my previous MH and done work for me and see what they say.  they are family owned and have been in business for years and trust they will give me good advice.  Thank goodness for this forum.  It has helped many ways.  Looking forward to the reunion. Pray for good weather.
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2013, 09:27:03 am »

Armourall will do the opposite. The tires will dry out & crack.

The best product, it really softens vinyl & rubber is 303 Protectorant.

I use it on the vinyl cover of my 10 year old hot tub and it is still soft & liable.

John
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2013, 10:59:19 am »

Armourall will do the opposite. The tires will dry out & crack.

The best product, it really softens vinyl & rubber is 303 Protectorant.

I use it on the vinyl cover of my 10 year old hot tub and it is still soft & liable.
thanks a bunch. I will return the unused bot of armourall and try the auto store for the 303  stuff.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2013, 01:13:37 pm »

I find it remarkable that I see side wall cracks all the time on big trucks around town.  Even just this morning at a red light, an 18 wheel dump truck was sitting to my left with lots of side wall cracking on retread tires.  It makes me wonder......either that is a very high risk danger, or we are just a bunch of paranoid motor home owners.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2013, 01:16:21 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: