Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pleated Front Curtain  (Read 351 times)
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 54
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2014, 01:20:35 am »

We finally decided we did not want to continually fold and unfold the pleated shade in the truck front windows.  Besides that hassle, the pleated material does not really block much light.  My wife went to a fabric store and bought black-out material and made non-pleated curtains.  We then punched holes in the material and installed the hangers.  Works great.  Another benefit is when driving with the sun coming in the side window you can slide the curtain forward as much as needed and block the sun which is not possible with the pleated material. 
      Bob
AMW

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 08:35:24 pm »

I'm interested in doing this as well, although I don't need blackout, I just want a real curtain for night privacy that's easier to use than the stock pleated unit that came with the PC.  So if I understand this right, you removed the pleated unit and used the original hangers and track for your new curtain.  I also assume you made the new curtain the same length.  I was thinking I would have to use traditional drapery pleating tape and drapery hooks, but from your description it sounds like I won't have to go to all that trouble.

Ann W.
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2014, 12:46:35 am »

It was fast and relatively easy.  Remove the screws from the side wall that holds the curtain in place.  Remove the little lock on the track on each side and slide the curtain out.  Remove the hangars (they are just pinched shut and easily opened.)  Measure from the lock on the track to the center of the track (ours had a black mark at center) on each side. Ours was 57" on each side.  You will need to make the width to this measurement and perhaps a few inches more for fulness.  Make the length the same as the original curtain or whatever length you like.  I used quilt bias tape for all the edges so did not need to add extra for seam allowances. The quilt bias is wider than the usual " bias binding.  Using this will speed up the job but you can make seams all around. We bought a  leather punch from the hardware store to make the holes for the " grommets at the top and on the sides where the screws go.  Grommet kits are available with a little tool to install at Hancock Fabric and probably JoAnn's.   Camping World sells extra hangars (12 to a box) but be sure to take one hangar with you to  match up for the  same kind as in the PC.  Sew the Velcro to the middle edges of the panels; I put one strip on the side facing the RV and one on the other panel facing the windshield.  This position makes it easier to close them because they will lap over . The original curtain has one grommet every 10" but this is too far apart for material so a few more are needed to make it hang nicely. Do not make the width to the full extended size of the original curtain or you will have way too much fabric.  Once the grommets are in,  put in the hangars, pinch them closed, and reinstall in the track.  Put in the track lock and  the screws and you are done.  You won't need the long plastic rod because the material opens and closes easily by hand. I divided the total width into two uneven sizes so that the wider was on the driver side and the smaller one on the passenger side.  This meant that we could close the curtains near the steering wheel instead of dead center; that left less bulk on the passenger side to get in the way of the little "table" that is on the 2551 by the door.  If your material is real thin, you might need to add some interfacing at the top and sides for the grommets.  I used a white silky blackout material with sage green binding and it looks like it "belongs" . it is so much easier to open and close than the original.   If you have any questions, I would be happy to help.  Nancy
Carol

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: July 2014
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2014, 07:22:33 am »

Wow, Nancy, what an awesome job (both the doing and the describing).  You could probably do a little custom-order business with that kind of skill.  Sewing is becoming a lost art.  Cheer

David J. Rotelle

________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 08:27:07 am »

Hello Nancy,

We had similar fabric curtains in our previous Motorhome and I agree they were easier to open and close than the pleated. Could you post some pictures of the curtains you made?

Thank you,
Dave
AMW

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: July/2014
Model: 2100
IntColor: Toast
ExtColor: Sterling
________

2015 2100-stretch

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 09:11:32 am »

Thank you Nancy, I copied all this down and put it on my "to do" list.  Going to JoAnn's this week for the materials.  Yes, photos please. nod

Ann W.
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2014, 04:45:05 pm »

To All,
     I have tried to send a picture and a couple of pictures and it always states file too large.  So if anyone would like to see the new curtains, give me an e-mail address and will send them to you.
     If anyone can tell me why I cannot send a picture out of my photo file without it being too large, would appreciate the feedback.
     Bob
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2014, 08:27:02 pm »

Hi Bob,
Here is what I do to make the photo fit into a post while using my MacBook:
Select the photo in the iPhoto program,
select "Export" in the "File" drop down menu,
chose "medium" size,
then "Export" to the "Desktop."
Then select the photo from the Desktop to add it to the post.

I imagine the process would be similar when using a PC instead of an Apple.

Hope this helps,
Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 02:09:53 am »

With the help of Bruce and Sharon, I will try and post some pictures of our new curtains.  Thanks for help Bruce and Sharon.
    Bob
gl1500

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 02:25:16 am »

Seeing as those pictures went OK, my wife thought some others may also be helpful.
  Bob
Carol

________
PurchDate: July 2014
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 06:57:28 am »

Beautiful work!

David J. Rotelle

________
PurchDate: 8/8/15
IntColor: Desert Sand
ExtColor: Desert Sand
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:06:12 am »

Bob,
 Thank you for posting the pictures your wife did a great job.

Great improvement!

Dave
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: