Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winterizing your Motorhome - factory video  (Read 201 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 91
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: January 20, 2015, 09:42:56 am »

Found a link to this on the PC home page. Also a link for their new blog is there. Good video starring Earl with a few appearences of the voice of Kyle. The video walks you through all steps. One thing I would have added is a mention to turn off your hot water heater and let it cool before you open the plug and drain it but otherwise it is all there. Note: the fancy outdoor water port they suck the antifreeze through is only on the newer models, 2014 and on I think. For our 2552, we have a clear hose next to the water pump under the passenger bed that goes in the antifreeze bottle and a little valve to open to let the pump suck it in. Even though we've winterized several times, I did learn something from the video. I didn't know I had low point drains until Tom Hanlon recently told me they were near the hot water bypass. I found them and turned them and fiddled with them while John looked under the house and said "nope, no water is coming out". We gave up on them and went on with winterizing. So when I watched the video I learned that you pull the little handles straight up to open them... duh, never tried that, but in my defense, I do try to avoid breaking things I don't understand. Here is the link to the video or you can find it at the bottom of the company's home page in the "Announcements" bubble.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=youtu.be&v=MNi5rPBQYxU

Amy, would it be possible to put a pinned "About your Phoenix Cruiser" topic under "Links and Contacts"? I think that subject would be generic enough to cover any instructional videos that the guys come up with or even written documents the want to post.

Holly

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 63
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2015, 03:05:52 pm »

First recommendation is do not use channel lock pliers to remove the water heater plug.  It is plastic and you can see he is just chewing it up.  Get a socket to fit it and keep it in the coach so it is available when you need it.  I also put it back in place loosely so it does not get lost.  Water heater manufacturer says a little water remains in the heater but freezing will not hurt it. 
      I use my coach in the winter so I blow out my lines with air, that way in the winter when I get home I blow them out again.  When you use RV antifreeze you will have to sanitize the system before use.  Blowing them out they remain dry and clean. 
     Someone in the past said that Phoenix does not recommend blowing the lines out. I cannot figure why they would say that as all winter long Phoenix uses air to check the water system for integrity and leaks.  They do not put water in the system in the winter.  That is how we had a new flooded coach.  After checking the system with air, they cross threaded the main line from the tank to the pump and when we got ready to use it for the first time, while filling the fresh tank, I went inside and found water every where.  Of course this was a 2350 where the tank is under the corner bed and had to remove 20? screws to find the leak. 
     I put winter windshield washer fluid in the P traps, dump valves and macerator pump.  All the RV Dealers in our area, North Idaho, use windshield washer fluid because it is much less expensive.  If it can not hurt all the plastic, hoses and seals in the windshield washer system, it is OK for our P traps.
     Just some of my thoughts on winterizing.
      Bob
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Cafe' - Full Body
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:20:09 pm »

For those with the four-way water control valve on the drivers side, outside, there is a 'winterize' position.  I used to have the general schematic of this valve but have misplaced it, but it can be found on the valve manufacturers website.  It would come in handy understanding what parts of the water system are engaged or disengaged depending on the setting, including 'winterize'. I believe this valve was installed starting in 2013 (model year 2014), and was not documented in my PC manual anywhere.

- Mike
bobojay

Helpful Rating: 12
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
Slide: No
IntColor: Desert Sand-Hickory
ExtColor: Desert Sand-Lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 10:37:17 pm »

For those with the four-way water control valve on the drivers side, outside, there is a 'winterize' position.  I used to have the general schematic of this valve but have misplaced it, but it can be found on the valve manufacturers website.  It would come in handy understanding what parts of the water system are engaged or disengaged depending on the setting, including 'winterize'. I believe this valve was installed starting in 2013 (model year 2014), and was not documented in my PC manual anywhere.

- Mike

There's a video on PC's YouTube page that shows the in & outs of this valve

Bob & Sharon
Current: 2013 Winnebago ERA Class B Sprinter Van
Future: 2100 special, 2350, ?? on a hopefully Ford Transit 350 or 450
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 91
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 10:51:07 am »

I'm so jealous. We bought early 2013, probably just before the new models came out so we don't have that nifty valve. It would sure making filling the fresh water tank a whole lot easier. Plus it would move the antifreeze job to John's side of the coach instead of in-house with me. I've gotten good at it though. Phoenix has the little hose hooked up under the bed already so it is quick and easy to pop it into the antifreeze jug, open the valve, and start the process.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: