Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Mouse Repellent  (Read 143 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 101
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: March 06, 2015, 08:47:04 am »

We heard that the place we are temporarily storing our Phoenix is overrun with mice and that they nest inside the cars and campers stored there. I made mouse repellent sachets and put them all over in the bins and inside the coach and we hope they work. It is hard to tell. We might not get mice because they never tried to get in, because they couldn't find a way in, OR because they came shopping for a new home, smelled the peppermint, and moved in somewhere else. As long as we don't get mice, I'm happy.

What we did was treat corn cob litter with pure peppermint oil - a LOT of peppermint oil - like, eye watering within three feet peppermint smell. Then we packaged it up in pretty little sachets and put them all over in the bins and inside the house. I'm sure we'll reek of peppermint for months after we get back on the road but we're good with that... we won't need as many showers  Smile

We are moving the PC as soon as the storage place digs out the road in front of us so this is a temporary measure. I have full instructions for making the sachets on our blog spiritofthewoods.net but here are a few pics for those interested. The pouches are quilting squares glued together. Old socks would work as well. Has anyone else heard of this peppermint trick or tried it?
Holly

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 205
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2015, 09:18:15 am »

When we had mice under the hood of our cars, i read about a product called "Freah Cal". I found it at my local Ace hardware store. I put one bag under the hood of each car and the PC. No more mice. It has a stong but fresh smell that rodents don't like.

When one is as lazy as I am, this might be the solution otherwise use 2F's solution above.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
skipper

Helpful Rating: 20
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2015, 11:59:12 am »

Somehow a rat got into our garage 2 weeks ago and one night decided to munch on the insulation and wiring harnesses in our Ford Explorer.  The next morning the car started, but would barely run.  I limped it into the Ford dealership thinking a harness had somehow come unplugged.  They called later that day and told me a rodent chewed through 6 harnesses and 2 fuel injector wirings.  The damage was $700.  The tech said this was not at all uncommon.  Apparently the wire insulation is tasty to mice/rats.  Protect your PC! 

Mark
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 101
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2015, 02:34:59 pm »

I know mice chew wires but I was afraid to put pouches in with the engine where I might forget them and get them tangled into something when we move it. I'm hoping the intense cold will hold the mice at bay until we get out of there. We came in after the hard freeze so most of the mice should have been snuggled into other people's cars by the time we got there. We took ALL foodstuffs and edibles and freezables out of the rig before storing it so there shouldn't be anything to make them think it is a better place to live than the snug nests they should already be in. Most of the vehicles near us look like they haven't been moved in a very long time.

Tom, did your pouches stick in there or just sit on something in the engine compartment?

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 205
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2015, 04:28:31 pm »

I just stuck them between a couple of things like the battery and the fender, any where away from heat.  One bag Under each hood and one in outside draw.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 04:31:10 pm by TomHanlon » Logged

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: