Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Cargo Carrier on a 2400  (Read 93 times)
Two Hams in a Can

Helpful Rating: 17
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: December 2016
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Rust
________

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2017, 11:07:36 am »

After returning from our shakedown trip to N. Carolina and Tennessee, which had a rough beginning with mineral scale clogging our plumbing, and a toilet that wouldn't flush until it got a firm nudge from an RV tech, and a dose of silicone spray from me, we former diesel pusher fulltimers learned a lot about living small.   exactly!  Not only do we want the requisite recliners, Baby Q, dog crates, etc., etc., I also need my portable Pride Mobility "cripple cart" (thanks Larry The Cable Guy).  As enamored as we are with "Fawkes", we know there is a limit to what even a Phoenix can carry, we don't care what J.K. Rowling says.  So we got a cargo carrier https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B001G4Z5J0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1  to help with the load, and it has worked out nicely.  We had to permanently raise and clamp the lower section of the ladder to clear the carrier, but we don't use it anyhow.  We also attached the StowAway Hitch Tightener, Anti-Rattle Stabilizer to firm things up  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0001CMUV4/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s03?ie=UTF8&psc=1  We threw a cripple cart cover over the whole thing and anchored it with a spider net and we were on our way.  ThumbsUp    Cheers
« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 11:13:27 am by Two Hams in a Can » Logged

Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 254
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2017, 05:50:36 pm »

A number of motor home owners, especially those with shorter rigs, resort to one of those types of carriers.  My brother has one for his 22 foot long Starflyte.  I have teased him that he suffers from 2-foot-itis.  He really likes his hitch carrier.  He did find a water-tight storage tote, a "Rubbermaid" type-of thing that fit it quite well.  He holds it down with bunge cords.  He also has a large zippered water-tight bag.  I don't know which is his favorite.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 09:51:44 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350, Ordered Without A Slideout
jfcaramagno

Helpful Rating: 36
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: Feb. 16, 2015
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2017, 08:14:15 pm »

My decades of motorcycle camping prompt me to mention that bungees and not good hold downs for cargo. They are elastic and can stretch out letting the load underneath escape. They also have hooks on the ends and if the hook gets loose, it can take an eye out. I switched to straps with secure attachments on the ends like ROK straps which have a short piece of elastic material in the strap the provides just a little give for tightening down on the load.

John and Carol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: