Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Keyless Door Lock  (Read 425 times)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 421
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« on: May 21, 2017, 05:00:24 pm »

This winter our coach entry lock broke on our 2012 2551.  It was a trimark model 060-0650.  The plunger, made of white medal,  cracked and the door handle became inoperable and unable to pull the plunger back to allow the door to open.  My wife happened to be inside and I was outside.  She let me in through the cab door and I was able to take it apart so that we could continue using it with just the dead bolt.

Upon returning home, I did some research and found this to be a common problem.  Trimark does not sell parts and has actually discontinued this model and replaced it with Trimark model 060-1650.

Instead of putting more money into a Trimark lock I decided to upgrade with a Bauer EM Alsentis keyless entry lock.  I read many forums and this lock got high reviews.  It was not a plug and play replacement on the PC but installed very nicely after a few minor modifications.  The Bauer company was very supportive in answering all my questions and even sent me an extra gasket to use for installation.

Comparing the two locks the Bauer feels very solid and closes very nice.  The keyless entry is wonderful.  The only cons I have read about them is that batteries may only last three months.  However, you do get a considerable number of warning signs that the batteries are getting low.  Since we keep the PC in our garage I will remove the batteries when in storage.  

It also comes with a key override so I will always have a key handy incase the batteries fail on us.  I picked up one of these https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-5408D-Mini-Silver/dp/B0014EERFA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1495398511&sr=8-1&keywords=mini+key+safe on clearance for $1 at one of our local discount shops.  I keep it hidden on the outside with a key to the coach, a key to the cab and our toad key.  It has saved us on a few occasions.

Barry

« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 06:42:12 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 46
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
Model: 2350 Ford
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2017, 08:12:43 pm »

Barry and Sue,
I think you will really enjoy not having to carry your keys around any longer.  Even when parked at home, sometimes outside, the doors are locked. So when one needs to just gain entry to retrieve something, you don't need to fetch the keys. Nice

We went with this system: thread --  http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,2463.msg19904.html#msg19904

Believe your system maybe better, as you probably didn't need to build a bezel, as its footprint is smaller than the PC's.

Denny and Barb

Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2017, 09:39:52 pm »

I am working on switching the entry lock to a keyless entry and was in the research stages.  Not a lot to choose from and was leaning toward the Bauer because of the reviews.  My rheumatoid hands are past being able to do such work and my RV shop (a small local place) is more for the AP. Would like more detailed info from Barry and Denny and Barb on the installation process of each and your experience of how well the lock is working. It seems the Bauer gets overall better reviews.

If anyone else has installed a keyless entry, would love your input as well.

Nicki
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2017, 07:27:42 am »

Nicki,

The AP and Bauer are one and the same.  If you look at the AP Product website they list the keyless entry lock as the Bauer.

According to the Bauer website they have three different keyless locks.  There is the Bauer NE, Bauer EM, and Bauer EM Alsentis.  The Bauer NE is for travel trailers and is different from the other two in that it does not have the two pin safety latch to meet the FMVSS206 safety requirements for motor vehicles.  The Bauer EM and Bauer EM Alsentis both have the two pin safety latch.  The Alsentis model is the latest technology for touch pads.  It requires less power, uses less battery and can distinguish between human touch from liquid.  I believe they do not even make the EM model without the Alsentis technology.  There might get be some older ones out there but I think there were touch pad problems thus they now make only the Alsentis which is basically a software upgrade.

Now that I have installed one, the installation was not hard.  Because I had not done this before I really took my time.  The hardest part was making sure the striker plate was in the right spot.  I had to file a very small portion of the plunger hole to get a good fit.  Bauer also sent me an extra gasket to insure no leaks.  I have full body paint and had to touch up one very small unpainted area that only I would have probably noticed.

Barry
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 07:39:35 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 46
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2017, 09:17:37 am »

Nicki; I think Barry summed it up pretty well.  Thanks Barry for you research and comments. 

My AP version did require as I mentioned, making a bezel.  Below, is another idea, although a bit more pricier.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00N58KQMQ?psc=1

As far as battery life, I installed back in August 16, and replaced the batteries once so far in February.

Denny

Your Word our Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 259
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2017, 10:50:01 am »

I surely understand the convenience of a keyless entry door but in the case with a PC, the keypad is positioned high making it easy for someone with binoculars to watch the code get punched-in.  These days with such high quality cell phone video cameras, they can even record it from a long distance.

Do you worry about that?
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 02:10:08 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350, Ordered Without A Slideout
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 61
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2017, 11:36:22 am »

Barry, thanks so much for sharing your detailed research. Answers a lot of questions.

Denny, the third keyless door handle you suggested indicates in the spec that it is for "Replaces Standard Handles (approx. 3.75" x 2.75" x 1.5") - 5th Wheel, Bumper Pull, Traveler Trailer, Campers" with no mention of motorhome or RV. So would be reluctant to try it but love the addition of the key fob.

Ron, unfortunately every day a dishonest person finds new ways to rip off others. We are already very careful in using the remote fob to lock the cab when leaving because there have been many cases of thieves recording that signal and breaking in the minute the owner is out of sight. Doesn't take long to clear out the valuables or steal the entire rig. At some point I just have to let go and let God be in charge. Thanks to your comment I will probably shield full view of the key pad when entering the code.

Nicki
Two Hams in a Can

Helpful Rating: 22
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: December 2016
Model: 2400 Sprinter
ExtColor: Rust
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2017, 11:56:03 am »

I surely understand the convenience of a keyless entry door but in the case with a PC, the keypad is positioned high making it easy for someone with binoculars to watch the code get punched-in.  These days with such high quality cell phone video cameras, they can even record it from a long distance.

That doesn't worry anyone?

Worry?  I guess it it depends on where you choose to enjoy your PC. Perhaps it's best to avoid questionable locations.  Wink  In 20 years of RVing, we have never had an issue of someone trying to enter any of our 4 RVs. . .and as fulltimers, we have traveled widely across America. Believe me, if someone is so intent on entering your rig by watching you with binoculars punch in a door code, they will get in anyway.  We have never overnighted in Walmart or any other retail parking lot.  We use regular RV parks whenever we don't stay in a CoE, city, county, state or national RV park. If we want economy, there's always Passport America.

We do take caution with leaving high priced valuables (generator when we had trailers, unlocked surge protectors, etc.) accessible to the opportunistic thief.  We have never had a lounge chair, Baby Q, dog tether, camp table, or anything else stolen when we leave them outside the rig, even when we leave the site for whatever reason.  Not saying it won't happen sometime, but we don't let worring about "things" spoil an otherwise enjoyable lifestyle.  Prudence is necessary; locks are necessary; undue worry about things and stuff out of your control is not necessary.  Just sayin'. . .  Happy trails.   Cheers
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 11:58:08 am by Two Hams in a Can » Logged

Jeff and Suzanne traveling with the Cocker Spaniel sisters, Scout & Sydney in Fawkes the Phoenix 
"What happens in vagueness stays in vagueness"
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2017, 04:27:45 pm »

No matter when we use a keypad in public we always cover what we are doing with our other hand so we are not concerned about someone seeing our code.  This includes ATM machines as well.

Barry and Sue 
donc13

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 03/2015
ModelYear: 2015
IntColor: Nightscape/Hickory
ExtColor: White/Nightscape
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:27 pm »

Do you worry about that?

Ron,

I can get in anyone's RV in about 10 seconds.   The tool to do that is called an automatic center punch.  About 4" long and 1/2" around.    Simply put the point on any window.. Cab door windows are the best.  Push in on the center punch and when the spring releases, the window (tempered glass) shatters into a thousand pieces.  Bingo.. You'e in.

That is not some deep dark secret.. It's a well know method used by thieves everywhere.

As a 26 year veteran of the Denver Police, I can guarantee there is nothing that a determined thieft cannot get into.   The idea is to make your property nit as easy to get into as other's property.

Keypads have been used for decades and are just as secure as any keyed lock.  They offer convenience and peace of mind.

You don't want someone spying on you pressing the keypad, put a beach towel over your head and completely shield yourself as you punch in the numbers.

---
Don and Patti
gandalf42

Helpful Rating: 11
________
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2017
IntColor: Hickory/Graystone
ExtColor: Graystone
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2017, 04:10:32 am »

You don't want someone spying on you pressing the keypad, put a beach towel over your head and completely shield yourself as you punch in the numbers.

I'm sure that won't draw any attention!  rolling on the floor

Mike & Pat Astley,
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 259
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Green&Gray Cherry
ExtColor: Full Body Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2017, 08:10:37 am »

Do you worry about that?

Ron,

I can get in anyone's RV in about 10 seconds.   The tool to do that is called an automatic center punch.  About 4" long and 1/2" around.    Simply put the point on any window.. Cab door windows are the best.  Push in on the center punch and when the spring releases, the window (tempered glass) shatters into a thousand pieces.  Bingo.. You'e in.

That is not some deep dark secret.. It's a well know method used by thieves everywhere.

As a 26 year veteran of the Denver Police, I can guarantee there is nothing that a determined thief cannot get into.   The idea is to make your property nit as easy to get into as other's property.

Keypads have been used for decades and are just as secure as any keyed lock.  They offer convenience and peace of mind.

I agree a thief can easily getting into any vehicle.  But there is a big difference between breaking and entering, versus simple entering.  The stakes get much higher when doing damage.  Offering quiet easy safe entry for a would-be thief is just too tempting for the right person.

About covering up the keypad with one hand and punching in the number with the other hand (or towel over your head rolling on the floor) that becomes a two handed operation of which kind-of detracts some of the benefit.  You also need to be aware of your surroundings when you are going to cheat......everyone will cheat now and then.

I am very comfortable using a key, especially since I re-key'd the two entry door locks to use a common key.  I suppose it's in-part because of what I grew up with and have at home.

I do have a keyless entry fob & push-button start on my 2014 Nissan Altima and I really love it....So you can teach an old dog a few new tricks.  Smile  My PC (both the van with the entry door) with my Nissan fob activated keyless setup would be real sweet.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2017, 08:22:30 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron & Irene Dittmer, 2007 Model 2350, Ordered Without A Slideout
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: