Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Summer Projects III  (Read 834 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: July 28, 2013, 09:10:14 pm »

I realize you guys are getting tired of hearing from me. haha.  This is my last project list, that is until the fall.  I'm tired of writing to. hehe

Anyway I posted the links on the tips tab. So go to  the tips, and clik on the link to see the projects. Enjoy and please feel free to make some comments or suggestions.. maybe I'm too wordy or full it

ROOF PROJECT- cleaning, waxing, maintaining, also some tips about waxing your unit.

INSTALLING AIR VENT COVER- how I installed a cover for the bathroom fan,

WINDOW PROJECT- making some heat shields for your windows.  I also included a chart about temps inside the RV during the day. Even if
    not interested in making some shields, read the chart,  it's at the end.

David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston, Texas
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 59
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 6/2011
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2013, 11:11:54 pm »

Sparky,
Rather than putting foam pads for the antenna on the roof, I suggest putting the foam pads on the bottom of the antenna where they will contact the roof when the antenna is down.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2013, 09:52:34 am »

Foam Pads on the Antenna
   bob
     hmmmm did not think of that I will have to look at those Plastic Points ? (where the antenna lands on the roof) and see  how they are attached. I know they are some type of hard plastic/rubber and sort of rounded to flat at the bottom,   did you do that??  sounds like a great ideal   I still have the Beast in the driveway, back to storage tomorrow (thank goodness, all this work is killiing me) might give it a few minutes and give it a look at.
sparky
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2013, 10:22:48 am »

Yessir, I did. Using 3M permanent adhesive tape.
Don't have to worry about alignment very much that way.

bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2013, 11:47:19 am »

Because of the slope of the roof, I noticed that the two outboard feet of the antenna didn't touch the roof when the two inboard feet were seated, there was only about a 1/16 inch gap.  I used clear silicone on all four feet, I put enough on so that after I smoothed it out with my finger there was about 1/8 inch of silicone on the feet with a bit more on the outboard ones.  The silicone is "squishy" enough that the inboard ones compressed enough so that the outboard ones made contact.  This stopped the vibration noise I was getting from the antenna.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2013, 12:16:36 pm »

With that loud banging our antenna had made, I never concluded what exactly was hitting the roof, either the antenna base or the wing tips slapping.  So I put these round felt pads on all four antenna feet and long strips under the wing tip areas that could make contact if flopping around.  The banging has been 100% eliminated.

Our TV rattled badly too.  I opened it up and placed the same felt pads and other thinner pads in between metal things inside which eliminated nearly all of the rattling.

Every time I eliminate a noise, the next most prominent noise moves forward into thought.  Now it's the stove top grates.  I made them to be snug fitting, but they still rattle.  I think I'll be living with that one.  Maybe while on the open road, I'll take them out.....just to note the next noise, ha, ha.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2013, 12:26:14 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2013, 08:39:29 pm »

BOB, BOB AND RON
 ANTENNA PAD   Bob 1 could not find 3m you were talking about,, I saw some mounting tape foam two sided.    the pads I am using already have a nice indentation in them. will probably wear out quickly, but they are staying center when I go up and down with the antenna. I think that antenna is heavier than it looks....  Ron I would think that the felt pads will eventually wear where the tips are contacting the felt, I know that antenna is moving some, but since the tips are rubber maybe will last a long time,  Bob on silicone,  what would be really neat if you could make some pads say 1x1, silicone is some good stuff.
  anyway just some thoughts and questions.  I guess no matter what you use up there you are going to have to replace every year or two no matter what,,, tks again Ron I did use your original ideal just used something on hand instead of the felt.  I will update the project blog later
tks guys

sparky
Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2013, 08:44:22 pm »

Sparky,
My pads have lasted 2 years so far and still look good. The 3M taper is actually pretty common.

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2013, 08:19:48 pm »

Every time I eliminate a noise, the next most prominent noise moves forward into thought.  Now it's the stove top grates.  I made them to be snug fitting, but they still rattle.  I think I'll be living with that one.  Maybe while on the open road, I'll take them out.....just to note the next noise, ha, ha.

Ron, we bought a flat, roll-up silicone dish drainer and decided that it fit nicely for storage between the stove grates and stove covers. The bonus is that it does double duty by silencing the stove grates while moving. Actually, it does triple duty as we use it as a hot pad also. We found ours at The Container Store. Similar or same one found here: http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=18568080

Good luck on your noise control. I'm working on the shaking and rattling at the top of the house door. Bobby said he could put thicker weather stripping there but that may skew the fit of the door latch. Maybe strategically placed thin stripping or felt pads to close the gap only where it occurs will fix the problem. I plan to play with it next time out. Has anyone else had the same problem or resolved it?

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2013, 11:12:25 pm »

Great item to have.  Will get one.  Thanks!

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: