Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Second Opinion on tires from previous discussion  (Read 1370 times)
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 18
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2013, 04:18:05 pm »

I bought my 2350 new in Jan. 2008. Today, after a careful inspection I feel that the trip out to Petoskey and back to Mass. will be the final trip for them  Cry.

I am considering Michelin's as the replacements. I do rotate my tires, and feel that is why I have had great luck with them. Although the motorhome does sit in the driveway between trips, I do take her out for her weekly exercise trip once a week on I 495. 15 miles south and 15 miles north, back to the driveway, up on her blocks, tire get cleaned and covered.  Yes I do check the air pressure before and after.

I'm grateful to frecklesweety for starting this thread. So many great replies and info.

Thanks to all
Bill G    Cheers

Bill and Karen Golden
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2013, 06:22:11 pm »

I wrote recently about camping world telling me that my tires are starting to dry rot. They are 2008 tires that look like new in tread etc and only have 22,000 miles on them.  Well I took it to my local service shop, family owned, and they inspected them and said they look fine and did not see what camping world was talking about.  I since have coated them with 303 protectant as suggested in this formum and they look fine.  Wash the MH and took care of the cleaning the tanks and we should be good to go to the reunion  I feel a load has been taken off my back.  I have covers and will use them as I have always done previously on my other MH.
thanks for all the suggestions previously made. 
This post has brought up many thoughts and suggestions on the tire issue. It has been very informative .  I plan only two more trips before putting MH to bed for the winter in the Pole Bran.  So lets hope all goes well and might consider new tires for the spring. There have been many pros and cons on the subject and food for thought.
thanks
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2013, 07:36:28 pm »

When we bought our current PC from a large dealer in Tampa, they have a rule that no motorhome leaves their facility with tires older than 5 years, regardless of mileage.  They are concerned about liability.   shrug
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/12
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2013, 08:53:12 pm »

Bill
    Sounds to me based upon your circumstances there is nothing else you could do in regards to taking care of your tires.....I am still curious as to how your tread looks after 40k,,,,,  also you mentioned putting the  RV on blocks. Are you lifting the whole RV or just parking on blocks. I know they recommend taking all the weight off the tires, but for most of us nearly impossible,  I usually schedule a monthly visit to the storage to exercise the genie and drive the Beast,,, might start a bi-weekly   My two cents, I think your making a wise choice on replacing in the spring....
   Very good thread for all of us,,,   I can see the threads coming next few months ,, great deal on tires at ?????  hahah...
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 166
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 01:24:52 pm »

We are currently in our 31 day trip.  I filled all tires to 80psi to improve our fuel economy.  The tires look proper rather than under-inflated as before.  The ride isn't much rougher and handling remains good, but I see the front tires over-inflated for the weight on them has the middle threads wearing a bit more....oh well.  At least they are again making better contact to the road. Smile  I am not worried over this given the tires will be replaced due to age, long before tire wear.  I hope the money saved in fuel will cover new tires when it's time.  Early estimate in fuel saving is 1/2mpg or 5%.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2013, 01:26:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 172
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 04:24:06 pm »

RoseGlasses RoseGlasses RoseGlasses
Look out some one let Ron lose. Who let the dawgs out.

Have a great trip Ron.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/12
________

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 06:31:06 pm »

ron
   I'm jealous,, sitting on my porch 530pm 99.9 degrees it's hot, but shady haha.....  with the Scan Gauge I'm assuming you can monitor the mpg very easily,,, meaning if you only inflate to 75psi you can see the difference.   I have to get one of those.... when your doing it by tank it is ather difficult...     and your probably right  age will get your tires before  mileage... have a good trip,,, waiting for October

sparky
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: