Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Tips for a Small Kitchen  (Read 632 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: August 04, 2013, 05:18:31 pm »

I'm starting this thread to share some of our tips and hopefully gather some of your tips. We just spent 3.5 weeks in the motorhome and did a little cooking which tested out some of our systems.

TUBTRUGS: I'll start with my favorite one which is Tubtrugs. We met these wonderful buckets on a friend's farm where they pull all kinds of duty. I chose the Extra Small Shallow tubs to use as dishpans. I've done the three pan washing with Boy Scouts using those dollar store pans and I wanted something a bit better and less grungy looking. Tubtrugs cost a good bit more but are AWESOME! They are food grade, heavy duty, have sturdy handles, are flexible and come in a rainbow of colors. So cool. So, I bought three and John laughed at me for being so excited to get dish pans. Now HE really likes them (but still laughs at me). We stack the three tubs in the sink. If you push them to one corner you can still run the water and dump your old coffee down the drain. We toss our random dirty dishes in the pan as we go along then cover them all up with the sink covers until it is time to wash. Then we lift the top tub out with the dirty dishes in it and set it on the flip-up shelf. The second tub gets a few inches of rinse water and sits to the right and rear of the sink. The third stays in the sink and gets the hot soapy water for washing. I also use a silicone dish drainer to set the rinsed dishes on. We just droop it into the sink so the water runs off. The dishes move from tub to tub until they are done then you wash each tub and toss them on top of the dishes. They are also great for lugging the condiments and place settings out to the picnic table and getting everything back in again. They sell them on Amazon but I bought from the manufacturer's site to get the colors I wanted. http://us.tubtrugs.com/   Now I want a bigger one as an RV wash bucket but am not sure where to store it... they do flex to fold a little at the top, so there may be hope yet.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2013, 05:24:47 pm »

Knife Dock - our second helpful item is a bamboo and cork knife dock from The Container Store. John wanted a full set of knives on board and I figured that meant a full stock of bandaids to patch us up every time we stuck a hand in the drawer. Some of the RV knife docks looked nice and light but not too safe or sturdy. This one has a bit of weight to it but we decided to go with the extra ounces and save our blood. We have a full set of chef knives and steak knives tucked between the cork slices. It fits down in the bottom of one of the deep drawers (we have the 2552) and we set our little bamboo cutting board on top of it. The cutting board tips up easily to allow access to the knives. The system worked extremely well on our recent trip.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2013, 05:29:26 pm »

Water Pitcher - this one is a request for a solution. John and I live on water and keep a Brita pitcher in the fridge at home. Currently it rides in the cabinet over the Euro Chair as it doesn't fit in the fridge (so not a good place for it but I haven't dropped it on his head yet, so kudos for me on that one). I've been shopping pitchers but haven't found a fit yet. Any suggestions?

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2013, 05:58:56 pm »

Holly,
    Great thread to start - a helpful from me!

As far as water pitchers - we have used the Brita Slim Water Pitcher ( as seen here ) http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Slim-Water-Filter-Pitcher/dp/B0000AP7NV/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1375653103&sr=8-3&keywords=water+pitcher and it fits on the top shelf of the refrig as well as the door.  I don't like to put heavy stuff on the door so that is why I generally keep it on the top shelf of the refrig.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2013, 06:08:13 pm »

Some of my other kitchen utensils that I find handy are

1.  Any of the Progressive International Collapsible kitchenware - I have bowls, a small collander, and measuring cups.
2.  Sometimes I like to bake pies so I carry a very small pastry roller and I can actully roll out a pie crust.
3.  My pot and pans are the Cusinart stackable ones with removable handles.
4.  I use my slow cooker alot and buy the Reynolds slow cooker liners http://www.amazon.com/Reynolds-Metals-00504-Cooker-Liners/dp/B00578EKRY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375654299&sr=8-1&keywords=slow+cooker+liners so it is easy cleanup
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:13:56 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 06:11:05 pm »

Sue, thank you! I'm ordering the pitcher now. I looked at those but my engineer said it was still too big. If it fits in your fridge, it will fit in mine. I'll placate him by telling him that his new coffee pot will go in the cupboard where the big brita was.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 06:20:10 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 06:18:21 pm »

Holly,

Just went out and tested it again.  Fits on the bottom shelf of the door and also on the top shelf of the refrig.  I put it at an angle on the top shelf and then there is storage behind it as well.  Very easy to get to and use.  Too bad we won't be at the reunion.  I actually have an extra one because we saw it on clearance at a store for about three dollars and it came with three filters.  It was cheaper to buy the pitcher and filters than just filters.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: