Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: LED LIGHT FOR TANK HEATER SWITCH  (Read 827 times)
Dmcswain

Helpful Rating: 8
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2350 Sprinter
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sterling w/Cherry Cabinets
ExtColor: Sterling Lower
________

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2013, 06:31:06 pm »

In looking at the tank heater switch in the bathroom I realized it would be very easy to turn the switch on by accident.  Also, if turned on it would be easy to forget and leave it on.  Why was there no lighted tank heater switch like the water pump switch?  To correct this wrong I decided to add a light to the existing tank heater switch.

The tank heater is a 12 volt system.  If I could tap onto the heater side of the switch and then find a ground I would be in business.  I removed the switch housing from the wall and discovered there was room to add a 12 volt LED light in the switch housing.  I obtained a Red LED from Radio Shack for $2.79.  I drilled the required 3/16 inch hole in the housing and mounted the LED.  Using a spade connector I attached one LED wire to the side of the switch that had power on it when the switch was on (the heater side of the switch).  

Finding a good ground connection turned out to be simple.  On the PC 2350 there is a 110 volt outlet on the sink base about 18 inches from the tank heater switch.  The top of the wall inside the sink cabinet below the switch is open.  Therefore, it was easy to push a number 14 stranded wire up to the tank heater switch and attach it to the remaining LED wire using a wire crimp connector.  I then attached the other end of the stranded wire to the ground terminal (not the white neutral wire terminal) on the 110 volt outlet.  I routed the ground wire up beneath the sink and attached it to the back of the cabinet using wire clips.  

Now when I turn the tank heater on the Red LED glows brightly.  Hopefully, this will eliminate accidently turning/leaving the heater on.

I have attached a photo that shows the finished product.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2013, 08:50:20 am by Dmcswain » Logged
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2013, 05:28:33 pm »

Nice job, it looks really professional. ThumbsUp

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
yankeeflyer
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 07:00:26 am »

That's really nice!!Think I'll try that on the hot water heater switch also. Cheers
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 08:45:18 pm »

I need to do this project too.  We have three switches located there, and my wife frequently picks the wrong one.  The top switch turns on/off the vanity light (see pics).  Which, by the way, was one of the best changes we made when we had the coach built.  The vanity light is far, far better than the overhead light for shaving, my wifes makeup, etc.  We rarely use the overhead light.

When I recommended to Stewart that the light be made standard on the rear bedroom configuration, I only got a curt, unfriendly reply.  Still, I feel it should be standard.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 22
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2013, 01:07:06 am »

Thanks for this great idea and info provided.  As GoPhoenix  said in his reply, this will work well on other switches as well..... Added to my ToDo list and gave you a Helpful as well.

Bill G    ThumbsUp

Bill and Karen Golden
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2013, 11:31:55 am »

Nice job,,,, I would like a little more detail regarding heating the tank....Manual says it's for when temps get to freezing to protect it, understand especially since the tank is in the back of the unit.   how is the water warmed,, I going to assume something like heat strips on the tank???    is there any reason to warm the water in the tank other than protection???    I would guess if you were camping in very cold temps,,, warm the tank,,, run some water through all your piping prior to going to sleep would help all the pipes and tanks....
thanks
Sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2013, 06:02:13 pm »

Oh, I like that indicator light.  One more project for off season.

A helpful clicky for you!

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: