Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Drivers Side Propane Connection?  (Read 1676 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: August 14, 2013, 11:16:32 am »

Starting to think of all the 'stuff' we will need to store when our 2552 is delivered, and where those little green bottles of propane might go. Was curious to know if anyone has run, or had the factory run, a semi-permanent propane line from the house propane tank to the drivers side of the PC in order to use it for portable bbq's?   I understand there are adapters for the house tanks that allow for this (Camping World  Item # 30336), and that it seems that the maximum length of hose shouldn't be over 12'....so it appears at least do-able.  Wouldn't know what challenges there would be in running a line across the width of rig.

- Mike
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2013, 04:24:26 pm »

I've done it on my last two PC's.
Install a copper tee between the tank valve and the pressure regulator. You need high pressure since you have a regulator on you camp stove/grill. Run a 1/4" copper tube across the RV through existing holes in Ford frame to just in front of the rear wheel. Installed a ball valve for a shutoff attached to a bulkhead fitting fastened to the RV fiberglass skirt. That fitting is a 1/4" flared tube fitting or you could use a quick disconnect, your choice. I use about a 10' rubber hose that I had a propane shop make up that adapts to the  stove and to my flared tube fitting. That hose reaches my stove on a table anywhere under my awning.

I always wondered why more people don't do this. You have a big tank of propane, why bring little bottles for your grill?

John
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 06:01:25 pm »

2Frazzled had it done at the factory during the build. Hopefully she will see this and explain it in more detail.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 90
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 07:03:42 pm »

The factory ran the propane to the passenger side for us. We have a 2552 and the quick connect port is inside the storage bin that is to the left of the batteries. This line is AFTER the on board regulator which means it is a low pressure connection. We haven't found a low pressure grill we like yet and definitely are not up to modifying propane connections to work. We'll have more time to search once we are on the road for the year.

My logic was that the propane is already over there for the hot water tank so all we needed was a splitter but I think they still ran a separate line from the main tank. I was also concerned about potential sparks from the batteries so they installed the port on the left wall of the bin to maintain some separation.

John, Holly, and sometimes Chloe.
Spiritofthewoods.net
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 08:41:53 pm »

I have modified my propane connection on the last 4 RVs with the same quick connect. On the PC I installed a brass "T" and, with a few nipples and a 90 degree brass fitting, installed my quick connect facing down in front of the rear wheel well. I use a low pressure grill with a 14' flexible hose which snaps in to the quick connect and gives me ample room to grill under the awning on the passenger side. I like this better than a permanent pipe addition because you still have to use a flexible hose; albeit, a shorter one. I use a cut-off in front of the quick connect for additional safety. I really like my grill which is made in Canada, looks like a larger grill; but breaks down and stores in a compact bag. nod

http://www.amazon.com/Broil-King-900214-Porta-Chef-Portable/dp/B002VED34I/ref=sr_1_7?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1376527661&sr=1-7&keywords=broil+king+portable+gas+grill
« Last Edit: August 14, 2013, 08:54:09 pm by Shipper » Logged

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2013, 07:05:07 am »

Shipper, the grill you list does it look like it's low pressure. My understanding is that the grill cannot have a regulator since my hook up is AFTER the on board regulator. Going through two regulators is supposed to choke it down too much so you don't get enough heat.

Is your hook up before the rig' s regulator? If it is AFTER the regulator, have you had any problems with low gas/low heat?

Spiritofthewoods.net
Shipper

________
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2013, 08:13:13 am »

Shipper, the grill you list does it look like it's low pressure. My understanding is that the grill cannot have a regulator since my hook up is AFTER the on board regulator. Going through two regulators is supposed to choke it down too much so you don't get enough heat.

Is your hook up before the rig' s regulator? If it is AFTER the regulator, have you had any problems with low gas/low heat?

My hook-up is after the regulator; and, yes, it is a low pressure grill. I have had the grill for 10 years and have updated it twice. I can easily max out the thermometer (which I think is 600 degrees) when cleaning. It sears steaks quickly, but will cook on low for slow cooking. I have never had a problem and the company is great for service. Mine was available with an optional naugahyde bag that it fit in and kept everything clean.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2013, 08:23:17 am by Shipper » Logged

Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 11:38:01 am »

Thank you all!  This should make life a little easier.  I too wonder why this isn't either a built in feature, or more visibly offered as an option.  I'll have to see if it isn't too late to have the factory install this for us.  Who would I speak with at Phoenix?  Our salesperson, Earl?
ragoodsp

________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 04:12:21 pm »

I had a Monaco coach (04) that came from the factory with a quick disconnect.  I called the factory to get clarification as to why my Webber Q would not work well and of course was told that I needed a  low pressure grille.  The techniction i spoke with at that time told me it was not legal for safety reason to run a  pre regulator line accross the coach and Monaco was going to stop doing even the low pressure line  becuse owners got upset tha tthey had to go out and buy new grilles to take advantage of the connection set up and there was always confusion.  Not sure if this really was the case since I totally lost interest in Monaco.   Thanks
Shipper

________
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 08:35:04 pm »

I had a Monaco coach (04) that came from the factory with a quick disconnect.  I called the factory to get clarification as to why my Webber Q would not work well and of course was told that I needed a  low pressure grille.  The techniction i spoke with at that time told me it was not legal for safety reason to run a  pre regulator line accross the coach and Monaco was going to stop doing even the low pressure line  becuse owners got upset tha tthey had to go out and buy new grilles to take advantage of the connection set up and there was always confusion.  Not sure if this really was the case since I totally lost interest in Monaco.   Thanks

I had a 2008 Monaco Knight and I made up about the same connection I've done on my PC for my low pressure grill. Everything worked just great.

ragoodsp

________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2013, 10:50:15 am »

If you have a low pressure grille we all know it will work great with a post regulator set up.  The issue i have is the selection of low pressure grilles are few and far and If one goes this route most grilles we all have will have to be heaved because they will not work with low pressure.  I like my Webber and would hate to have to replace it.  if you do not have a grille go for a low pressure unit and have the factory pipe it post regulator and all will be fine....thanks
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2013, 11:13:59 am »

(Just noticed I wrote 'Drivers Side' in the topic description rather than 'Passengers Side'. Guess you all knew what I meant)  Smile

Anyway, I talked to Earl and he said it wasn't too late to add the line.  I'm having it routed to the same location as 2Frazzled had it installed. Sounds like a great location.  Earl said it would cost $110 which sounded more than reasonable.

I do like the specs of the Broil King unit that Shipper mentioned.  Sure doesn't look like a low pressure model, but I think we're gonna give it whirl.  We don't currently have a portable unit.

I also asked about replacing the twin mattresses with Tempurpedics, since someone here intimated that it might be an option and when my DW learned about that she insisted I ask.  Earl wasn't sure and said he'd get back to me.

You folks are just so helpful!   ThankYou

-Mike
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2013, 12:37:01 pm »

My twins are memory form mattress. The same as tempurpedics. You can also go to Bed, Bath and Beyond and get a mattress pad by Tempurpedics in 1 or 2 inch thick. The 3 inch will not fit under the window curtain thingy.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2014, 01:11:00 pm »

Well, I've been using my BBQ during trips for a while now and can say that it's a really nice piece of equipment.  It is a Magma model a10-603 w/optional Magma LPG hose kit model a10-225 and type 3 regulator.  This is the RV model with flip out legs, not the boat model with boat mounts.  It is high quality stainless steel, but light and easy to clean. It weighs about 15.5 lbs and is 22.6"x14.8"x13.3".  The grill surface is 9"x18".  The size may look to be too small for some folks, but it is a bit deceptive.  I've cooked enough for four easily on the thing.....lobster tails, steak, burgers, corn, asparagus. It puts out lots of heat and I have had no problems with moderate wind so far.

I also purchased the carry/storage bag, and I have to say that it is well oversized.  You can also store utensils, hoses and regulators (LP bottles too) in it.  Since I have an LP gas connection of the side of the rig and don't carry bottles, the BBQ and hoses with storage bag fit nicely in the top shelf of the rear passenger side storage compartment.  Without the bag, it takes up lots less space.

I paid about $160 for the BBQ alone on Amazon, but it is also available at Sears, Camping World, etc.  Highly recommended!

I've also used the grill mats that you can get from QVC or Amazon.  They can be cut to size and they're reversible, reusable and washable.  What I like is that it keeps the grill cleaner, grill marks still come through and you can easily grill small or thin things like veggies.

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2014, 03:37:39 pm »

Mike, are you saying that you are using the grill WITH a regulator on the Phoenix low pressure propane hook up? I was told that would not work because you are choking down the flow twice so you would not have enough pressure, and therefore heat, to cook steaks etc. We have searched in vain for a low pressure stove that we like and had decided to follow a you tube video to mangle a Coleman grill to remove the regulator and add a quick connect. If your stove works, I'm buying one.

Spiritofthewoods.net
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: