Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: ALASKA ADVENTURE  (Read 476 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2013, 09:53:05 am »

I'm starting my plans for a trip to Alaska in 2014 or 2015,  We went in 2012 and was a trip of a lifetime.  If your interested we did a blog
for our trip in 2012       http://andysbigtrip.blogspot.com/     I have a lot of tips, suggestions for making your first trip to Alaska.

On our first trip it was a wonderful experience but this time I want to be able to take our time and smell the roses.  Were planning  a trip of about the same length of time 5to7 weeks. Traveling from Houston cost about 7/8 days of just getting in and out of the states.  We have not decided rather to go in the Spring or leave in late summer like we did on the first trip.   I want to fish more this trip and leaving late summer  causes you to miss some of the fishing. (especially the Salmon running)... We will go back to Denali. Spent two days on the first trip. This time plan on staying 4/5 days. The park closes for camping in mid Sept.   A lot of the RV parks start to close mid Sept and some of them even closed due to freezing weather in Sept. 

A second area we want to stay for a period  is the Kenai peninsula ,, this is the Homer, Seward area,,, all kinds of fishing and wonderful rivers.

Third area we will stay at is Jasper NP in Canada, Banff,,, wonderful area and beautiful to drive through. 

On our trip most of the rv parks were not crowded, this made it especially nice when using the facilities.  Anyhow just wanted to put this information on the forum.  In addition I'm working on a trip in the south of about two weeks which I will post later... If your planning a trip to Alaska start now,,, it's a big trip and does take a lot of planning.  Feel free to email and ask questions after you look at the blog. Will be glad to help
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
PS>  We were in a roadtrek  on the trip in 2012,,, this time will take the PC and be able to have some more room and enjoy ourselves.
NHWanderlust

Helpful Rating: 4
________
OwnPC: No
NewUsed: New
Model: 2552
ModelYear: looking
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 04:09:00 pm »

Based on your last trip is it worth it to tow a car behind or just drive the PC?

Richard & Jackie Whitney
Lee, New Hampshire
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 06:49:53 pm »

To be honest I don't remember anyone towing a car.  Every place you go is set up to handle Rv's.   We took some different roads other than the Alaska Highway,,, for instance the road to Chicken Ak,,, top of the world highway was 115 miles, 90 miles of gravel, washboard,, had to drive very slow, but worth it, also scary haha...  would hate to be towing a car behind on that road,,,  we traveled on one other road  around Prince Rupert  that was gravel,,,, I had planned on taking another road that was gravel but was advised that it was rutted.... there was some repair work going on and remember we went late in the summer.... read that after the spring thaw they do lots more roadwork,,,,, we could drive full speed 90% of the time,,, most bad spots on the road were marked or you could see them coming  especially frost heaves,,, do not know how well they would be marked early in the summer  bottom line roads were no problem a lot better than I expected.

I'm sure you saw my post on my bicycles,,,   would have loved to have them in  Anchorage and  some of the parks,,, note we drove a Roadtrek on that trip,, I know our 2350 is a little bigger, but think it would be about the same....  wanted ride the ferries but did not.... expensive 

We traveled along with a caravan for a couple of days,,, mostly all A's,,,,  they all had protective wrap around the front of the Rv's... I guess since they were following each other close needed it,,, especially on road to Chicken,  you will get dirty,,,, some kind of black dirt, ash,,,, I would wash the bugs off each night,,,, sprayed washed a couple of times,,,, kept wipes to keep the windows clean mainly for picture taking...
sorry so long
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: