Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Meals - in RV parks and dry camping  (Read 1083 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:07:42 am »

So.....how do you all manage meals on your trips?  Are there tips or techniques when you are at a campground with hookups vs dry camping?  Do you BBQ alot or mainly use the PC kitchen?  Eat at restaurants part of the time? Prep frozen foods before you leave and freeze them? What are the 'staples' that you carry?  I love to cook, and am trying to visualize how things might work.  I do realize that some may dry camp alot (Ron) and experience in that area would be a great baseline.

- Mike
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 88
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 08:43:58 am »

Mike,
We rarely dry camp.

I love to cook (and eat). I have not used the stove in our 2910 yet. I use my electric fry pan for breakfast when we have eggs and for steaming fresh corn that we have picked up along the way as well as clams and mussels.

We also carry a toaster oven that bakes and broils. When we are on long trips, as we are now, I bring along frozen lasagna, meat loaf and frozen egg rolls for those dinners. We had a Stouffer's meat loaf and gravy last night. Not too bad--it was raining here in Moab. We also have steaks, burgers and pork chops as well as Steamfresh frozen veggies

I also use the microwave a lot for steamfresh veggies. Have used the convection oven once.

We also grill quite a bit.

We don't eat out much. We are too frugal and try to keep expenses down.

We carry olive oil, vinegar, worstershire sauce, hot sauce, horseradish as well as the other condiments. We eat well when on the road.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 311
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 08:59:24 am »

Mike,

Like Judi, we eat very well (just like home) when in the RV.  We spend about 4 - 5 months in the RV.  We use a crock pot, electric fry pan, and BBQ just as you would at home.  I do use the stove top alot.  The convection microwave is also used often.  I enjoy making homemade pies and baking cakes and do so using the convection microwave.  I even make homemade pizza at times.   We rarely go out to eat.

When I know we are going to dry camp I prepare meals ahead of time and freeze them.  Things liked stuffed zucchini, lasagna, chicken ala king all freeze well and taste great when cooked.

We converted the pull out drawers behind the swinging door in the kitchen area into a pull out pantry.  Before leaving I go through my pantry at home and fill up the RV with things I know I'll use like olive oil, vinegars, bread crumbs, canned beans, canned soups  etc...

I do not enjoy cooking at home but find it pleasant in the RV.  I think the reason is that on the road I have prepared menus in mind and know I have the ingredients with me for a weeks worth of meals and at home I come up with something on a daily basis (go figure)!  

Sue  

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:42:08 am »

That's so interesting....All the comforts of home (electric skillets, crock pots and toaster ovens)! And here I am wondering if I should put my spices in tic-tac containers! LOL  Would love to bring my pressure cooker with me for stews and pulled pork. Is the PC stove limiting enough in size that you both have the electric skillets with you?

We don't bake much, so we'll have to find someone like you around us that we can barter some fish tacos for a slice of pie.

Looking forward to all the different local produce! When our avocados and strawberries are in season, they are so inexpensive and good!  Lots of fresh salmon and crab here too, but we can almost never get fresh shrimp, and rarely even good clams or mussels.

-Mike

RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:41:59 am »

We are in the 2100 and with limited cabinet space you  learn what is important. We also dry camp lots. When cooking at home I make extra and freeze. As we head out I take the first few days unfrozen. Extras are a toaster oven (which requires electric or generator), I use the micro and convection features a lot. Have a 6 in. electric skillet that will run off the inverter. Great too cook eggs, soup, heat leftovers, etc. We grill some, when time and weather allows. For that the frozen fresh meats, fish, etc. are frozen individually so they can be quickly thawed or even grilled frozen. Most the staples others mentioned, but always pastas and rice to make quick meals. I bring spice blends (great ones from Penzey's) and Cinnamon. I buy milk, OJ, tomato juice in small cans/bottles and replace as needed. Always carry some of the small milks that don't require refrigeration as back-up.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 311
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2013, 12:48:30 pm »

Is the PC stove limiting enough in size that you both have the electric skillets with you?

I do not like to fry in the PC so as not to splatter all over.  The electric fry pan comes in handy to use outside especially when frying anything with a lingering smell like bacon.  It is also great to make eggplant parmesan,  heat up stews or something that has been frozen like chicken ala king.  It can also act as a gridle to make breakfast such as pancakes or fried eggs.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Anne and Bob

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: May 21, 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2013, 03:46:11 pm »

We bought a Ninja Cooker last winter and it is a great all purpose cooker.  You can bake, heat stuff like on the stovetop, make soup or stew and also roast meat.  The nice thing is that you can put it outside and don't have to smell up the RV.  I also bring things that go together with ready mades.  Like I freeze 4 large scallops and 4 large prawns.  When we get to camp I thaw them out, cut in small pieces and heat in a small jar of Alfredo Sauce while cooking the fettucine.  Doesn't take up much space to store and makes a nice meal.  I am dying to try the Ninja in the sink while underway using the inverter to slow cook something.  Have not been brave enough.  I understand that the house batteries will be charged by the motor running while we are under way so I would not be draining the batteries but haven't tried it yet.  Would be nice on a cold and rainy day.  We never eat out when camping and I would say we eat fairly well.  We have a vacuum sealer so I just freeze things in packages of two servings.  I have made cookies and cake in the convection oven and even a prime rib roast.  I would say that a pressure cooker would be a good addition.  The one we have is a pressure-fryer and you can make deep fried chicken etc. in addition to regular pressure cooking.  Think it is made by Fagor.  Anyway it was a good investment.  It traveled with us on our boat to Alaska for many years.

Anne and Bob
2013 PC 2552
currently in Port Townsend, WA
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2013, 03:52:53 pm »

Great ideas! Makes sense to use the electric skillet outside due to splatter and odors.  I kept thinking about my very large electric skillet and not a smaller one.  The small milks that don't need refrigeration is something I probably wouldn't have thought about for months, if ever.  The Ninja cooker and pressure fryer sound tempting!  I'll definitely look them up!   ThumbsUp

-Mike
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 88
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2013, 06:34:17 pm »

We keep shelf stable almond and soy milk to use on cereal. I have 5 quarts left and two weeks 'til we get home.

I agree with Sue--the reason for the electric fry pan is to cook without the smell in the PC. Today I bought some Olathe sweet corn and will steam that in the frypan outside tonight.

I have a small crockpot, as well. Did chicken cacchitore (spelled it wrong) while we were visiting Arches National Park.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2013, 07:04:13 pm »

I have a small crockpot, as well. Did chicken cacchitore (spelled it wrong) while we were visiting Arches National Park.

Judi

Judi
I hope that someday I will be in a campground near you when you are making chicken cacciatore. Spelled worng or not I sure it was great

Bill G    Grin

Bill and Karen Golden
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2013, 10:38:58 pm »

I did three months away and cooked most of our meals.  I sometimes made a pot of chili or soup in the slow cooker while driving all day.  It can sit in the sink for safety.  I froze some homemade meatballs and carried my favorite jar sauce  I would buy a rotisserie chicken on the road, slice it and microwave mashed potatoes.  Use leftovers with a package of yellow rice mix and micro a veggie.  Steaks and chops grill outside nicely, microwave baked potatoes. 
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2013, 12:44:21 pm »

I really use the heck out of our electric pressure cooker at home since its so versatile, so I looked into the Fagor stovetop version, as suggested by Anne/Bob.  Saw it at Bed, Bath And Beyond and it looks to be very well made.  It is also magnetic-induction compatible, so it will work with our portable magnetic-induction cooktop (also a Fagor).  We did already buy the Magma nesting cookware, which is awesome (high grade stainless, heavy duty, magnetic-induction compatible and nests into a very compact bundle). I have never really used a crock pot or slow cooker before, but I'm sure I'll be remembering all these posts once we've been camping a few times and may end up with one. That Ninja Cooker looks amazing.  Just a bit worried about the overall size and power draw, but that shouldn't stop me from getting one for home to test out!  nod And, of course, my Foodsaver is going with me. All of the wonderful things you folks have made on the road! Everything from pizza to prime rib!  If I was worried about the versatility of a relatively small RV kitchen, I no longer am!

- Mike

Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2013, 01:59:47 pm »

Oh, and was wondering if a 9x13 baking/roasting pan will fit in the convection microwave?  We found a nice set of nesting pans which we might invest in, but two pieces are that size.

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2013, 06:34:19 pm »

My wife Irene will cook inside with fans-a-blazing.  Cooking varies from pre-cooked frozen goulash, fresh vegetables, heating of canned food, breakfast pancakes & french toast etc.  Bacon is most often cooked outside on the single propane burner below.  We'll make a pound of bacon outside, freeze it, then microwave as needed.  We grill and cook outdoors often, as conditions permit.

Given we spend most days on the move either driving, sight-seeing, hiking, etc, we just don't get deep into serious cooking.  We'll eat out for such a meal.

Our Single Propane Burner Looks Like This

Here Is Our Coleman Grill

This storage bag is available.  I should buy this thing.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 07:46:29 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2013, 07:44:10 pm »

Talking about the grill bag, I just ordered one from Home Depot, local store pickup in a week or two.  There....Done!

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: