Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which model is best for us?  (Read 2239 times)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 24
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« on: August 24, 2013, 12:18:42 pm »

Hello,
We're writing this post to share our experience in choosing the new Phoenix Cruiser that we recently purchased.  Ease of driving is certainly important in this choice, but size and floor plan can be a critical factors.  The two of us have owned several RV's during the last 35 years and have found that individual preferences and circumstances make a big difference in deciding which RV would be best to own.  

We were like many other RVers who gradually migrated to larger RV's as we grew older and wanted more comfort and had more time to travel.  We started with a Dodge van conversion, eventually had a 37' Class A diesel, and loved each for different reasons for periods of time.  We especially liked our 37' model when we were living in it for months at a time in an RV Resort near Palm Springs, CA.  After we purchased a winter home near there our time in the RV was greatly reduced, and we wanted an RV that was easier to drive on city streets and in smaller campgrounds.  We had almost decided to downsize to a 2552 Phoenix Cruiser but instead purchased a 2350 (Ford) mainly because it is less than 24' long and has the power to tow our Honda CR-V.  Having a towed car (toad) with us when we travel is important to us, as we prefer not to break camp each time we want to make a short trip for sight-seeing, go shopping, eat at a restaurant, etc.  

We immediately loved the 2350 from cab area back to the kitchen, especially the slide-out room recliner couch and the Euro-chair.  It didn't take long for us to become annoyed by the lack of space in the bedroom/bathroom area, as we were constantly bumping into each other while moving about there.  We may have set a record in the short time it took for us to switch to the 2552 model that we purchased four months later.  The two are almost identical up front, but have much different bedroom/bath areas.  The 2350 was slightly easier to park and drive due to its shorter length and turning radius, and could fit into smaller RV campsites.  But the extra space in the rear of the 2552 makes a world of difference for the two of us.  Other couples are obviously not as bothered by the space difference as we are, which is an example of how individual preference affects one's enjoyment.

Finally, the ratio of wheel base length to motor home length (206"/27'5") of the 2552 promotes a more stable steering situation than the smaller 2350 ratio. We may add some suspension modifications later if we feel they are necessary, but for now we feel we own the perfect RV for this stage in our lives.

Best of luck in finding what is best for you.

Bruce and Sharon
« Last Edit: August 24, 2013, 06:33:38 pm by Bruce and Sharon » Logged

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
JimDenny

Helpful Rating: -4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2010
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: Brown
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2013, 03:52:18 pm »

Well said! exactly!
jampodd

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 11/2012
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: sunlit
ExtColor: sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2013, 07:28:17 pm »

I agree completely! I had a 2350 with a MB front end and after a year switched to the 2552. Love it so far. The 2350 was nice but I couldn't get use to the bed/bath area. I've put about 6,000 miles on the 2552 this summer so far and have no complaints. I did do some suspension upgrades (listed in another post) and am glad I did. I also added provision to make the two twin beds into a full size (also in another post) but haven't used it yet. Glad you have one you enjoy now.

Jim

Jim Poddany - 2552
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 36
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2013, 10:23:56 pm »

Good post,,, what I really like is admitting your mistake,  interesting how many people have switched from the 50 to the 52,,,  I might have to get a look at a 52 one day when I'm out and about and run into one...   we previously owned a roadtrek 210,, we really enjoyed but decided we wanted to go a little bigger, the 2350 was perfect. bed is a little bit of hassle, how ever we have no problems with it... one thing I wanted when we started RVing was something the wife could drive (she is not a good rider and likes to drive) and drive fairly easy in the city the roadtrek was perfect for that and the PC just a little bit larger meets our criteria,,,, our RVing of course consist of  driving there,,, we want the convenience the facilities offered by an RV, food, bath, sleep, some entertainment, a pen for our dog hahah,,,, we don't RV where your actual live in the unit like a lot of guys do,, so this fit our needs perfect... we nearly purchased a new class C,, cheaper brand which you can for 48 to 55000,,,, but I found this unit in Seattle used, knowing the reputation of PC got a good deal.  they delivered it to Vegas, so we rented a one way auto, drove up to Vegas had a few days of fun and drove the Beast home.  I know a year or two from now if I decide to sell/trade the Beast I will get most of my money back,,, on the other hand if we would have purchased the cheaper new model I would have took a bigger hit on my return.    BTW,, must have been fun breaking in one unit,,, then turning around and doing it again haha  I know from reading the forum's those break-ins can sometimes be a pain until you get everything working right

sparky
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 24
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2013, 11:24:27 pm »

Jim, Jim, and Sparky,
Thanks for your replies with the kind words.
We had only a few fixes needed to the 2350 after it arrived, so no big problem to break it in.  It did take a while to learn how to use most of the systems and how to use the storage areas efficiently, but that learning experience has helped us tremendously in getting the 2552 ready to travel.  We still haven't mastered the entertainment center.
We'll be leaving home on our usual late summer/early fall RV trip to Northern California and Southern Oregon next week, so that will be the first real test.
Happy trails,
Bruce and Sharon

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2013, 09:58:04 am »

Your welcome,  we have had discussions on this forum regarding break-ins on new units,  I do not think it matters what kind of unit you purchase your going to have to get some things fixed,,, these darn things are just too complicated,,, the key as I have said before is the company's response to problems and your own level of fixing things, and then once you get it broke in your ready to roll.  If I ever purchase a new PC, I'm going to plan a week or two on the general vicinity of Indiana haha.

BTW, I'm sure everyones heard the news re Yosemite,   they are suppose to get some rain in the area this week hopefully,,, if your over in that area gives us a update in the Adventure,Trip section later on,,, the wife and I need to head up that way soon,  I would hate to miss out on the Sequioas,,, I know there are  a couple of different parks that have them...  have a safe trip
sparky
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2013, 07:39:21 am »

It was the bedding in the 2551 that sold us on the PC. Twin beds, i have a rock hard 4" mattress for my 6' frame on the passenger side and my wife has something soft and about 10" high that she loves, that looks fit for the "Princess and Pea" tale.

I am not using a wedge to assist in breathing at night that fits comfortably under my single mattress.

I did change out the particle board under the mattress with a high grade plywood sheet and and reinforce the wall bracket on the passenger side  (added an L bracket and also expansion toggle bolts where screws had been originally placed) because of my  OCDC habits.

22,000 miles and loving it all the way. Unfortunately, my brides indecision delayed purchasing on our original choice of motorhome ( a MB WMH View which would have been a disaster) and by the time we discovered the 2551, we were pretty sure we it was right for us. I think owning a sailboat and traveling in its cramped quarters enabled us to understand what we wanted when we came to make the decision to buy.

Greg and Kathy Matthews

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2013, 01:42:08 pm »

Once again, I'm the fellow with the opposing viewpoint.  Smile  I'll be observing my helpful rating go down again.   Cry  Was 164 as of this reply.

Our 2350 serves us well in every way except getting in and out from the bed.  But this past trip we learned something new with our rear corner double bed which helped a whole lot.  Read about it here.

We could never sleep with an isle between us.  We'd much rather crawl into the same bed, one after the other, even during a post mid-night bathroom visit.

We did invest in some aftermarket suspension upgrades to get the handling perfect which seems the 2551 & 2552 don't require nearly as much.  Maybe not at all given they have the stiffer E450 chassis and longer wheel base.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 01:52:30 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2013, 06:53:16 pm »

Ron,
    I guess someone zinged you haha,, why???? your just giving an opinion.. we also have the corner bed, yes, it is a little pain in the rear, especially when you throw in our 105lb puppy dog. Now let me say one thing when we RV we move around a lot,,from place to place.  We stay up late, get up early, so the comfort of the bed is to sleep.. .now maybe in the future when we plan some extended stops, the bed might make a difference, but I doubt it,  Heck if I wanted to sleep I just would stay home
sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2013, 07:41:11 pm »

I guess someone zinged you haha,, why???? your just giving an opinion.
I could be a Zing-A-Haulic  every time I didn't feel the same as another person.  I think I clicked on that button twice, and later regretted each time.  I have retired from that button.  It's there for others to use, just not an encouraging tool by me.

I got hammered when I provided input on how Phoenix could take a better picture for their on-line sales.  Oh well.

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2013, 08:57:33 am »

You're back to 164, Ron. Couldn't let that slide.

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 296
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2013, 09:59:57 am »

Once again, I'm the fellow with the opposing viewpoint.    I'll be observing my helpful rating go down again.

Ron - I agree with you.  I wish they would just remove the "DISAGREE" button all together.  It would not even bother me if they removed the "HELPFUL" button as well.

Since our PCs are unique to each of us. what is helpful to one person might be totally disagreeable to another.  I just like reading what others do and make changes that will work for me.  I don't always agree with others but that doesn't mean it isn't helpful to others.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 11:24:50 am »

Sue    well said,,, purpose of the forum is for us to DISCUSS, GIVE IDEALS, OPINIONS  to help each other,    example I have stolen many of Ron D.'s  tips and made them much better haha, just kidding,,, I take a lot of the tips, maybe copy them exact, or modify them... now when we discuss beds, size of vehicles etc, we are getting into personal preferences,,,  I like the smallest RV possible, why, wife loves to drive, easier for her, easier to drive, a little better mpg, overall cost cheaper,,,,, do I give up some things absolutely... I don't mind buying a used unit, I'm handy, do not mind fixing things,  some people are not,,,,
    Lots of people say things on the forum I do not agree to or would never do,,,, I respect their opinion, and if I want to comment,, I do not start out with I disagree,,, I state t We like to,, Or I use this method,    A lot of the questions that are asked are very good, a lot or dumb, but that's the price you pay.... Aimee does a great job moderating our forum.. I have been on some that talk politics and junk, I do a quick unsubscribe    Ron speaking of a picture,,, the dumbest thing is on the back of the PC   PHOENIXCRUISER.COM   I have had two people where I rented this unit from haha  any way have great day,,, summer drawing to an end tired of the heat.
sparky
Pax

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: July
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2013, 12:27:37 pm »

I'm not that crazy about the phoenixcruiser.com graphic either.  Wonder how hard it would be to remove (or replace with either a Yankees logo or "You're following the best RV on the road")  Grin

We wondered about that curved indentation the back that sweeps around the exterior storage compartment and spare tire. One of the factors (a small factor) in our decision to get a PC was the overall styling and general good looks, and I guess that indentation is aesthetically pleasing, but I wonder if its there for other reasons....can't imagine what though.  Seems you can gain a relatively large amount of interior (bathroom) or exterior (storage) if you lose the indentation.

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2013, 12:39:34 pm »

We wondered about that curved indentation the back that sweeps around the exterior storage compartment and spare tire. One of the factors (a small factor) in our decision to get a PC was the overall styling and general good looks, and I guess that indentation is aesthetically pleasing, but I wonder if its there for other reasons....can't imagine what though.  Seems you can gain a relatively large amount of interior (bathroom) or exterior (storage) if you lose the indentation.
I too wondered about that early on but concluded it is a stylish way to provide more rigidity to the back wall.  Without it the back wall might resonate, flex, or even buckle.  A good solid back wall helps keep the side walls & roof in good alignment, and all the seam work in good order.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2013, 12:42:42 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
Print

Jump to: