Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Estimating MPG as you go  (Read 564 times)
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« on: September 01, 2013, 10:19:26 pm »

Here is the handy table I use when driving. 
When the gas gauge reaches one of these marks I check the trip odometer reading to get an idea of my mpg.

Note that you burn about 3 gallons before the gas gauge needle begins to move.  Also, at the empty mark you still have at least 4 gallons reserve.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2013, 10:09:14 am »

Very neat for a quick estimate,  I still like to the math way, miles/#gallons,   I'm on the hunt for a scan guage,,, keep seeing them for 159.00 but I'm being patient and looking for a good deal,,
sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2013, 05:31:08 pm »

I bought a Scanguage-II last spring and finally got a chance to use it throughout our 4 week, 5500 mile trip last month.  I can say I am glad to have it, but I am dissapointed in that I was not able to have it monitor our collective fuel economy (a running total) throughout the trip.  It seemed to loose it's mind a few times which had me pulling out the plug to reset the thing.  I ended up monitoring fuel economy from engine start to engine stop.

According to the read out, the best average fuel economy from start to stop we could get was interstate driving 57-59 mph with no winds and no hills was 13.1 mpg.  But that figure means nothing for it does not represent real life.  I also tracked our gas purchases with pencil & paper and came up averaging 10.6 mpg over the  5500 miles compensating for 30 hours (15 gallons) for generator run time.

The Scanguage helped to "smart drive".  I took advantage of the Throttle Position Sensor reading which indicated how hard the gas pedal was being depressed, whether by me or the cruise control.  At hot idle it reads 12.  At full throttle it reads 75.  The sweet spot while highway crusing was 20-22.  Going up from there, I could see the real-time fuel economy start to suffer.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: