Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Sound under bed in 2552  (Read 741 times)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« on: September 04, 2013, 11:05:01 pm »

We intermittently hear something running under the rear section of the passenger side bed when nothing seems to be turned on.  The furnace and water pump are located in the area of the sound (with a fan or a pilot light?).  We have the furnace, water heater, water tank heater, and water pump off and still hear that sound.
Maybe it's the the power converter fan, but don't know if it is located in that area.  If it's the power converter, should we be worried about it running so much?
Bruce and Sharon

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2013, 07:31:03 am »

We were told it is the inverter fan. It cycles on and off whenever it decides to. This will happen even if you do not have the inverter "on" at the panel. Electricity runs through it, it gets hot, the fan cycles on.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2013, 06:46:08 pm »

Thanks!
I never would have thought of the Inverter, especially since it is off where we are now camped.  It's very quiet here, so the fan is more noticeable.
Bruce

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2013, 07:55:05 pm »

Our Tripp-Lite inverter will rarely come on even though it is set for line/charge only, yet we are not line charging.  That happened once during our trip last month.  I killed the inverter using the switch on top of it.  12V opperations continue and charges only when driving the rig.  It won't line charge or generate 110v until I switch it back.  The switch simply over-rides the control panel switch.

Inverter Is Easily Accessed Behind This Vented Door

The On/Off Kill-It-Dead Switch Is In The Upper Right-Hand Corner, the little black 3-position one.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2013, 08:01:19 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2013, 11:22:27 pm »

Thanks!
I never would have thought of the Inverter, especially since it is off where we are now camped.  It's very quiet here, so the fan is more noticeable.
Bruce

Bruce,

My 2010 2551 has the newer Xantrex inverter like yours, below is an old post of mine that addressed the same issue of the inverter fan running when not in use.  Hope this helps.

Bob

Yes Billy, I turn off the inverter at night by turning off the breaker that supplies 110vac to the inverter.  I too was bothered by the inverter cooling fan cycling during the night.  I did some investigation because it seemed strange that the cooling fan would run when the inverter was not being used at night.

On the 2551, the inverter is located under the passenger side bed and is mounted forward of the converter/breaker panel on the same wood panel.  First I had to determine if I was hearing the converter fan or the inverter fan.  The converter fan will run if you are plugged into shore power and are using a lot of 12vdc or are charging the batteries at a high rate.  You can feel the air flow in the grill on the converter/breaker panel when that fan runs which it turns out is not that often, and I have never heard it at night.  If you hear a fan noise from under the bed and you don't feel or hear the converter fan running, then it is the inverter fan.

The inverter cooling fan should run when it gets warm from working to create 110vac from the 12vdc batteries, although I don't hear it often when running it to watch TV since the current draw is low.  But I was hearing the inverter fan run when it was not in use.  I replaced the inverter (thanks Kermit) and the new one behaved the same.  So I contacted Xantrex a few times and finally found someone who explained that the inverter cooling fan is designed to come on periodically even when not in use to cool the internal switching relay that automatically switches from shore power to inverter power.  I guess the relay is "on" and passing the ac supply through the inverter when the inverter is off.

So, at night, if you switch off the breaker that supplies the 110vac to the inverter (not the breaker that comes from the inverter), the fan will not run.  You also have to turn the inverter control panel off or the inverter will now use the batteries to keep the TV and DVD player on standby.

Since I love a challenge, I decided to rewire the ac side of the inverter and installed a switch so that I manually put the inverter on line when needed.  So now if I want to use the inverter, I have to press a switch that I installed on the wood panel under the bed in addition to the inverter wall control panel.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2013, 08:31:52 am »

you can always turn on the A/C. That will drum out any fan noise. rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2013, 12:03:38 pm »

Bob,
Thank you so much for the great explanation of our inverter system.
The fan does not actually bother me at night, except that I worried that something was going bad.  We are in an older RV park currently with some unusual electric plugin units and I thought it could be causing our system to act up.
Now I can rest easy.
Bruce

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: