Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: First Impressions 2552  (Read 1006 times)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2013, 04:48:12 pm »

Kelli and I and 2 of our dogs drove from home to Atlanta GA for our maiden voyage this weekend.  We had Winston, our glen of imaal terrier entered in a Barnhunt trial.  It was about 700 mile RT.  I had previously driven 2100 miles from CA to FL, but that was more of a delivery than a trip.  We arrived at our campsite well after dark and I had a long back into our campsite.  If you have ever watched a boat launch in the afternoon, you can probably visualize how this looked.  I'm sure our camp neighbors were amused.  "Honey, turn to the right.  No, your other right.  Oops, you hit the picnic table."

I ran with 1/3 full fresh water and most everything else that we think we need (I see this list getting bigger).  Tire pressure was 75 front, 77 rear.  I emptied the black and gray water at the first AL rest area (thank you AL) for the first time.  The sani con system was very nice.  The rv rides like a truck, Kelli likened it to being on a bus, but tracks nicely and large trucks passing at speed require correcting but it wasn't anything near the white knuckle experience I've read about on some class C's.  Once we decide on extra gear required, I will have the axles weighed.

I drove 62-65 mph up and back and averaged 9 mpg driving up, traveling some back roads, and running the genset a couple of hours.  On the way home, I fueled up on the interstate and ran 200 miles and then filed up again on the interstate and averaged 9.58 mpg.  This was mostly gently rolling hills of south AL.  I think this is as good as it is going to get at this speed.  I was hoping for better, but watching my scangauge dip to 4 to 5 mpg going up every hill, I knew the mpg wasn't going to be very high.

We ran into a few issues that I'd like some help with.

My most perplexing problem is an unpleasant vibration at 58 to 61 mph combined with a "growling" like sound that resonates at these speeds only.  My initial thought was out of balance tires although I got the customary shutter of out of balance tires at 70 mph the one or two times I reached that speed.  I took the rv to a tire store and they spun balanced the tires.  The manager said bring the unit back if I wasn't happy because dual tires sometimes take multiple attempts (rotating the individual wheels is sometimes required on dual tire axles).  Honestly, the only reason I knew anything had been done is because my wallet was lighter.  I believe I have ruled out the 58-61 mph vibration/noise as a tire problem and now think it is either the exhaust system or more likely a drive shaft problem.  Any thoughts?

We used a new toaster oven to toast bagels and we set off the smoke detector every time the bagels started to brown.  There was no visible smoke at all.  I may need to disconnect the detector while cooking.  Let me tell you, it's very LOUD.  Others have this problem?

I forgot to turn off the water heater and while running the a/c, water heater and toaster, I blew the circuit breaker on the genset.  It took a while to find the genset circuit breaker (on the side of the genset start panel for those who don't know) and once reset and dropping the load all was well.  Can anyone tell me how many amps the a/c unit pulls on start and how many amps the water heater uses?

Neither of the map lights above the rear view mirror work.  Do these have a fuse somewhere?

The black water tank reads 1/3 full when it is empty.  I will try some methods I read here to fix it although this isn't a big deal.  Does anyone hook up a hose to the sani con panel to flush the tanks with fresh water?  Is this necessary?

The power awning has adjustable knobs on each arm.  The dealer told me to leave both of these loose.  The left arm has a tendency to 'pop' on opening.  Is that right?

Kelli wants to plug in headphones so she can watch (and hear) a movie as we tool down the road.  Is there an output for headphones?

I need the right side mirror to stick out about 3" further.  Can I buy an extension?

We took 4 showers (rinse, lather up, and rinse) and washed dishes for 4 meals and filled up the gray water tank to 3/4 full. I guess filling the tank is completely variable based on the time the water is running.  No real issues here.

Storage in a B+ is at a huge premium.  I think I will buy a 24x60 cargo carrier to hang off the receiver hitch for a grill, chairs, and maybe a few sticks of firewood.  Anybody else doing this and is there a brand you recommend?

Our campsite was crushed gravel and it didn't take long for us to track in a lot of the great outdoors.  Do you carry a small broom or vacuum?

Overall the experience was very nice and we enjoyed our new RV.  Thanks for any replies.  Mark

Mark
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 93
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2013, 04:59:14 pm »

Mark,
I can address a couple of these issues--George is in the pool right now and I am sure he can address more of them:

We disconnect the smoke detector when we use the toaster oven, electric frypan or any device that will emit heat. That thing even went off when we were travelling on a highway---disconnected that baby!! It is loud.

Whenever we dump, we try to flush. It makes the tanks that much cleaner!!

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2013, 05:23:05 pm »

I will try too on a few questions.

- Map lights are controlled by the switches there along with the headlight dash panel dimming switch "clicked" all the way to one end.  Both need to be swtiched "on" for the map lights to work.  When done, be sure to click off the dimmer or the outside step lights stay on for far too long
- Yes if running the a/c & water heater, you should not run another high amperage thingy like a toaster.  It happened to us last month making coffee, heating water, and running he heat strip in the a/c unit.  I forget that every year, once at the beginning of the trip.  The genset safety switch got tripped.
- It sounds like your suspension needs a good wheel alignment, but not 100% sure about that.  Are you sure your tires are not overinflated?  That might also contribute.
- 9.5 mpg sounds right for an E450-2552.  PCs on an E350 generally will get 1 more mpg and we averaged 10.6 with our E350-2350 last trip over the 5500 miles driven.  This for two reasons.  The E350 has a more fuel efficient axle ratio, and the smaller PCs that get an E350 simply weigh less.  The E450 axle ratio is for more pulling power.
- We carry a rubber-back corn broom-like throw rug that I place outside on the ground.  It cleans our shoes very nicely.  The second line of defense is a rug on the electric step.  The 3rd is a cut-to-fit runner carpet on the first step inside.  By the time we step on the main floor, most dirt is off our shoes.  Still dirt accumulates so every now and then I hand sweep everything out the door with an effective yet small hand brush.  We have two boot trays by the door under the 3rd seat where our shoes, that easy to find hand brush, and hiking poles are stored.
- Like Judi, when we cook, down comes the smoke detector.
- Our older 2007 2350 has a huge outside storage compartment.  Bundles of firewood, 4 pkgs of Lynx Levelers, portable grill, outdoor chairs, and so much more all store in there.  I have to be careful not to over-weigh the rig with what I put under the rear corner double bed.  I can understand your need for a hitch rack.  I personally would consider an enclosed one.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 05:42:06 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 330
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2013, 06:34:20 pm »

Mark,

I can offer some input on a couple of things.

We use what is called a clean machine /scrapper mat that works really well to keep alot of the dirt out of the RV.  I have seen them at camping world and many RV stores.  Even Walmart has carried them.
We also carry a broom for the RV.  It is a rubber bladed broom and works great at getting even the smallest sand particles swept up.  It also has a telescoping handle so it fits nicely in the 2551/2552 closet.

Like George and Judi we too use the flush system on the sani con all the time.  Keeps the tanks very clean.  As far as the black tank always showing 1/3 it could be build up on your sensor or the sensor wire may be broke.

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 08:43:33 am »

We ran into a few issues that I'd like some help with.

My most perplexing problem is an unpleasant vibration at 58 to 61 mph combined with a "growling" like sound that resonates at these speeds only.  My initial thought was out of balance tires although I got the customary shutter of out of balance tires at 70 mph the one or two times I reached that speed.  I took the RV to a tire store and they spun balanced the tires.  The manager said bring the unit back if I wasn't happy because dual tires sometimes take multiple attempts (rotating the individual wheels is sometimes required on dual tire axles).  Honestly, the only reason I knew anything had been done is because my wallet was lighter.  I believe I have ruled out the 58-61 mph vibration/noise as a tire problem and now think it is either the exhaust system or more likely a drive shaft problem.  Any thoughts?

We used a new toaster oven to toast bagels and we set off the smoke detector every time the bagels started to brown.  There was no visible smoke at all.  I may need to disconnect the detector while cooking.  Let me tell you, it's very LOUD.  Others have this problem?

I forgot to turn off the water heater and while running the a/c, water heater and toaster, I blew the circuit breaker on the genset.  It took a while to find the genset circuit breaker (on the side of the genset start panel for those who don't know) and once reset and dropping the load all was well.  Can anyone tell me how many amps the a/c unit pulls on start and how many amps the water heater uses?

Neither of the map lights above the rear view mirror work.  Do these have a fuse somewhere?

The black water tank reads 1/3 full when it is empty.  I will try some methods I read here to fix it although this isn't a big deal.  Does anyone hook up a hose to the sani con panel to flush the tanks with fresh water?  Is this necessary?

The power awning has adjustable knobs on each arm.  The dealer told me to leave both of these loose.  The left arm has a tendency to 'pop' on opening.  Is that right?

Kelli wants to plug in headphones so she can watch (and hear) a movie as we tool down the road.  Is there an output for headphones?

I need the right side mirror to stick out about 3" further.  Can I buy an extension?

We took 4 showers (rinse, lather up, and rinse) and washed dishes for 4 meals and filled up the gray water tank to 3/4 full. I guess filling the tank is completely variable based on the time the water is running.  No real issues here.

Storage in a B+ is at a huge premium.  I think I will buy a 24x60 cargo carrier to hang off the receiver hitch for a grill, chairs, and maybe a few sticks of firewood.  Anybody else doing this and is there a brand you recommend?

Our campsite was crushed gravel and it didn't take long for us to track in a lot of the great outdoors.  Do you carry a small broom or vacuum?

Overall the experience was very nice and we enjoyed our new RV.  Thanks for any replies.  Mark

1. For the vibration, I would check for tire cupping on the front tires and the steering dampener. IMHO balancing the rear dually tires is a waste of money.
2. We went to Wal-mart and bought a $25 dollar kitchen smoke detector and mounted it on the ceiling farther forward, in line with the DVD player. I removed the original one. The Kitchen detector is made to handle the smoke from the stoves and comes with a "silence" button. One push of the button and it turns off for about 10-15 minutes.
3. The a/c uses 21 amps to start and 14-16 while running. I don't know what the water heater uses.
4. The overhead cab lights work off the dimmer switch and the door switch. Open the door and turn the switches by the lights. Rotate the dash light dimmer switch all the way up to turn them on also.
5. Put a good squirt of dawn dish washing soap into the black tank and two bowls of water. Drive around or to where you are going. It will help wash the crud off the sensor. I prefer to use non-formaldehyde chemicals to keep the odor down and the tank clean. I also use the hose sprayers after dumping. I use the sani-con for over night stops and the 3 inch for longer stays. I leave the gray open and dump the black when it gets over 2/3 full.
6. The awning knobs are to hold the awning tight when it is windy. They stop some of the bouncing. Otherwise leave them lose but check them occasionally so they do not fall off going down the road.
7. It is illegal to have the front TV on while driving.  It would be a big distraction to the driver.
8. Cargo carries would be nice if we didn't have the rear trunks. You would need one that swings toward the drivers side in order to be out of the way of the trunk door and the ladder.
9. DYSON DC44 animal stick is what my wife bought and loves. I did not care for the price but it does a great job on the dog hair and sand. We also carry an outside door mat and indoor/outdoor carpet on the first inside step, heard about it on this forum.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 10:10:51 am »

The popping of the left arm when being extended is normal.  I was told it's because the PC side is curved and the awning is built for a flat surface. 
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 10:19:52 am »

I might suggest that you throw the unit into neutral when you pick up the fibration, this action will not stop the entire driveline from rotating but it may give you a feel  as to whether it is coming from the driveline or the tires.  If the vibration lessons or stops  you will know it is driveline related; if no change you can bet it is the tires.  It may be the driveshaft is out of ballance?  I think the rest of your questions have been answered very well.  I did utilize some very durable (and cheap at Home Depot) all weather door mat material that I cut to fit the stair and used 3M super headliner glue to afix.  I used the same material for the first landing inside the coach....It looks very OEM and it traps alot of "stuff" before it gets all the way into the coach.   Thanks
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 08:06:53 pm »

Welcome to Cruiser world
     Not much to add,  you have what I call the debug period, new unit, get all the bugs out and good to roll.  Make sure you read the tips section,, all kinds of little things you can do to make your unit more comfortable.    We carry a broom and small battery charged vacuum. I just keep two pair of shoes house shoes, and outside shoes.....On dumping,  I hardly ever go more than a day or two without dumping,, after I dump, I use Calgon water softener,, 2cups of Calgon gallon of water,  pour 1/3 gray, shower,   2/3 toilet.  do not use any thing else never a problem with smell or crud,, about 3dump flush the tanks,,, so a lot depends upon what kind of camping you do. let us know about the vibration problem and keep us posted on it... again welcome
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
randallandchris

Helpful Rating: 6
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2013, 09:33:13 am »

Mark, Sorry to hear your 2552 rides like a truck as I'm seriously considering one, but do have suggestion for need to correct steering while being passed by speeding trucks.  Had that issue on a new 31' class A and really irritated my wife, "can't you keep this thing going straight", so after some research had a Blue Ox TigerTrak installed to laterally tighten up the rear axle to the chassis frame.  Best $500(approx.) ever spent...Randall
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2013, 01:10:44 pm »

Thanks for all the responses and comments.  I'll take the RV in next week to the ford dealer and see if they can diagnose the vibration.  Mark

Mark
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: