Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Protective Bug Screen for front of PC  (Read 1542 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: September 16, 2013, 07:14:51 pm »

Plan to travel south to Disney next month and was advised that I should have a bug screen on the front of the PC.  What is everyones opinion and where is the best place to get one.  I have real fine screenng on a role but I think it would be a chore to make it and cannot figure how to keep it on .  Any suggestions.   ?????
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 190
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:10:17 am »

If you do a google search for "auto bug screens" you will find lots of them and even how to make one.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 08:32:40 am »

I have lived in FL for 20 years and I have never put a bug screen on the front of my vehicles and it's rare to see a vehicle with a bug screen on it.  I've never had any issues with bugs except love bugs (looks like a firefly without the glow).  They are a real problem because they are a pain to clean off your vehicle and it's not uncommon to have hundreds smash into your windscreen, bumper, grill.  A screen doesn't help much because they hit the screen and the guts fly through and still coat your vehicle.  Their guts are acidic and need to be cleaned off very soon to keep from pitting your paint.  There is a large spring hatch and a smaller fall hatch.  The fall hatch will just about be over when you go to Disney.  If you are concerned, bring a bottle of cleaner and wipe off the bugs when you get settled in.  We drove 300 miles this past weekend from the Panhandle to AL and back and probably had about 200-300 love bug splats on the front.    Enjoy your trip, bring some cleaner and elbow grease, and don't worry too much about our bugs.

Mark
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 92
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 10:23:06 am »

I agree with Skipper--you really should not need a screen. We have lived in FL for 17 years now and the only bug issue that we have encountered is the Love Bugs. On our way back home from the Grand Canyon two weeks ago, we had to wash them off twice--both times in N. Florida. We thought that we would have millions of deceased bugs splattered on the windshield when we drove down 75 to Punta Gorda but not one! Go figure!

Don't waste your time and $$$. They should be gone by the time you get to FL.

Judi

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:39 pm »

I agree with Skipper--you really should not need a screen. We have lived in FL for 17 years now and the only bug issue that we have encountered is the Love Bugs. On our way back home from the Grand Canyon two weeks ago, we had to wash them off twice--both times in N. Florida. We thought that we would have millions of deceased bugs splattered on the windshield when we drove down 75 to Punta Gorda but not one! Go figure!

Don't waste your time and $$$. They should be gone by the time you get to FL.

Judi
Thanks for the update on the screening.   Will take your advice and not bother with a screen.  Will just wipe them off.  Going to Good Sam Rally in October and then venture down to Disney by end of October to meet my daughter in Disney..and head towards home about Nov.9th. 
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 07:02:18 pm »

Last August we drove 5500 miles round trip from Chicago to Seattle and back without any special consideration to bug protection.  I was tempted to clean the rig at a wand-wash place but never did  At one point there was a blanket of bugs on the leading edges, so bad that when stopped, the live bugs fed off the dead ones.  A good rain while driving helped immensely.

Once back home, it took numerous hours of cleaning to get the bugs off, some splats seemingly semi-permanent in the Diamond Shield film.  I suppose a good paint polish would make the reflection right.

I spent some serious time under the hood cleaning dead bugs which turned out great.

As far as a fine screen bug shield goes, I would be concerned of the air restriction to the radiator when clean, worse with a serious accumulation.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2013, 07:19:11 pm »

I go with skipper and judi,,, we also have the seasonal hatch of love bugs here in Texas,,, any bug from big to small bad for your front end and paint,,, most us have some cleaning stuff,,, I do not wash the unit too much traveling,, how ever,, every day after travel,,,, I use a scrub sponge, spray bottle, soak the bugs,, scrub and rinse off,just water only takes a few minutes   ,,if campground allows washing take out the extender pole and scrub the bugs off the  front end cap normally just water,,,, I keep the windows clean hate dirty windows haha
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
GoPhoenix

________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2013, 08:19:10 am »

For getting bugs off, this is absolutely the best stuff ever, recommended by a friend: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002EW5FWU/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and when used with a long handled scrubber like this, makes easy work of the cab-over: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G246T6/ref=oh_details_o00_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

along with a handheld bug scrubber for the grill, mirrors, etc. like this bought at AutoZone: http://www.amazon.com/Viking-845100-Microfiber-Sponge-Colors/dp/B001GJ7HCI/ref=pd_bxgy_auto_img_y

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
PurchDate: 12/12
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2013, 09:08:12 am »

Thanks for the sites,,, I tried to look up what the Bug Off is made of,,, all I could find is bio-degradeable,,,,   is there a list of ingredients on the bottle.... I have bug.tar remover at home,,, I just do not like using any of that stuff unless I can use some soapy water to wash afterwards,,,most of those products have some petro distillates in them and are hard on your finish,, that's why I wash after using,,  I like that scrubber  will have to get one of those.  again tks
sparky
randallandchris

Helpful Rating: 5
________
OwnPC: No
Model: None
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2013, 12:41:40 pm »

Stopping before dusk helps, I know too obvious, but requires planning.  Fort Wilderness expensive but allows washing RVs and few perks like free parking at theme parks and easy access to deluxe resort parking lots for a great breakfast or dinner, better than theme park food.  -  Randall
GoPhoenix

________
PurchDate: 12/2010
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2013, 01:32:18 am »

As for the B.E.S.T. Bug-Off Bug Remover - yes, I always wash with soapy water after using.  And as quickly as possible.  But the stuff does remove bugs quickly.

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
Dick & Trish

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 09/2010
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: ,Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2013, 07:35:15 pm »

We live in Florida and I simply keep some bug off spray and Dawn detergent water in a spray bottle.  If you stay up to date and don't let the bugs get baked on they don't appear to be a big problem down here.  It also helps to keep your vulnerable areas freshly waxed.
BGolden

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: January 2008
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2014, 01:28:54 pm »

I use warm water, Dawn dish detergent, with the Magic  Eraser,  bugs come right off.
Bill G

Bill and Karen Golden
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2014, 07:16:12 pm »

I use warm water, Dawn dish detergent, with the Magic  Eraser,  bugs come right off.
Bill G
Oh yes, Magic Eraser.  That thing works quite well on lots of things without any kind of abrasion or other damage.  I wonder how well it would work on getting those gray marks off the fridge shelves.  I've used an automotive product for that but maybe M.E. would be better.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: