Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: SCAN GAUGE II  (Read 560 times)
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« on: September 19, 2013, 10:07:07 am »

finally got me a SGii, got a good deal on ebay 129.00.  new,,, had to be patient but finally found one. very happy,   Received the SG yesterday, been going over the manual so forth,,, seems fairly simple for hook-up and using...  how ever haha... on reading previous post saw some good info

Has anyone made a cheat sheet with operating instructions, has anyone a sheet with all the ford 350 codes 2007 (Ron hehe)... just trying to save  some time and work off others work.... also regarding Xgauge any suggestions,,,,
David Sparks
2008 PC 2350
Houston
skipper

Helpful Rating: 18
________
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2013, 10:28:13 am »

I just monitor 4 items in the 'gauge' mode.  Why don't I like the scan gauge?  I see my huge gas consumption in real time while accelerating and going up hills!  Sarcasm, my friend. It's a very useful device.  I mounted mine (on the past two vehicles and now my PC) on the steering column with velcro.  I had a similar device on my 22 ft 350 Ford inboard boat.  It would burn 8 to 10 gallons/hr cruising.  This marine engine worked for a living.  My F150 burns about 3 gallons per hr at cruise and my wife's 6 cal suv burns less.  The PC is burning about 6 to 7 gal/hr so it is working for a living too.  Mark

Mark
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2013, 10:34:48 am »

Skipper
tks for the post,,, especially the steering wheel mount,,, the Beast is in storage so have not hooked it up yet,,, I did hook it up to my mini van just to make sure it works and comes on.....I finally read the quick set up and looks like it just about has everything I would want ... told the wife I purchased it to control her driving habits haha.. she actually drives more than I do not a good rider,,, I read a lot
sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2013, 10:43:15 am »

I did not come up with a cheat sheet, and don't plan on doing so.  Like skipper, I simply display information pertinent to fuel consumption.  I played with the SG2 and settled into displaying these four data types.

- average mpg (averaged from the time you turn on the engine to the time you turn it off)
- real time mpg (instant miles per gallon, recalculated every few seconds)
- miles per hour
- throttle position sensor (position of the gas pedal, 12=foot off pedal, 76=pedal-to-the-metal)  It's good to know how far down I am pressing the gas pedal.

As you know I mounted mine on top of my rear camera monitor using velcro.  I fished a computer cable from that area to the OBD-2 connector.  My SG2 cable is used only to make the final connection.  I have it coiled up and wire tied pretty behind the kick panel.  If I want to use the SG2 on another vehicle, I simple pop off the kick panel, unplug, and the rest is understood.

I tried using my SG2 for trip averaging, but I couldn't get it to consistently remember where it left off.  Adding my purchased fuel after each fill-up wasn't friendly enough for me either.  It was too much fussing.  I always keep track of fuel and miles with pen & paper, initially using it for comparison but ended up being my only.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 11:20:03 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2013, 12:44:34 pm »

I agree with Dittmer, changing the modes of operation is a PITA at best, originally I put mine in to monitor tranny temps and basically used it that way with coolant temp, and using a ratio,  to know when to back off when towing up a hill.  I also used the instantaneous mileage and one other that I don't remember.  That adding fuel and letting SG keep track was an exercise in futlility for me.

FYI on passes in Colorado towing a Suzuki highest I ever saw was 219F and normal around 193F I did slow when it got to 219 and dropped down a gear.
Coolant was ~205 with the 219.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: