Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Questions about HWH jack operation  (Read 951 times)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 35
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2013, 12:06:16 am »

I posted these questions before in "Tips and Tricks" and got a couple of replies.  Sparky suggested I post them in this section to get more replies.

My questions are:

1.  How should I interpret the HWH Operator's Manual statement that says "REMEMBER, if lifted too high, the vehicle may roll forward or backward off the jacks."  My question is how high is too high?  We're still trying to understand how to use the jacks.

I understand that some weight must be left on the rear wheels because the parking brake is applied to those and help prevent the vehicle from rolling.  How do you determine how much weight should be left on the rear?  And is there a certain height limit for the front wheels?

2.  Do the HWH jacks automatically stop extending when a maximum is reached?

I've never held the extend button long enough on any jack to see if it would stop on its own.

Bruce

« Last Edit: September 23, 2013, 12:09:08 am by Bruce and Sharon » Logged

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 08:25:41 am »

I suggest that you raise the vehicle on the HWH lifts leaving the rear wheels on the ground and then drive forward to see how your vehicle reacts. If you drive forward, the lifts fold back, still extended but off the ground. this will give you an idea of how much pressure to keep on rear wheels.

Last year our lifts froze in the lifted position and we had to do this to drive the MH. We drove it to Moscow Iowa to HWH to get it repaired. The prior owner had changed the wiring and there was a short preventing the lifts from withdrawing.

Based on that experience we never lift two wheels off the ground entirely, that is we limit the lift to one wheel entirely off the ground. We never lift the rear wheels entirely off the ground, limiting their extension to only an inch of so. So most of our lifts are less then would be necesary to lift entrely off the grouns.

If the rear needs an additional lift, we use our blocks to raise the wheels sufficient to get to a level spot, or we go on to another site. Ditto on a need to raise the two front wheels off the groups. I may be more cautious than some, but feel we wont get into trouble. We care six boxes of these orange plastic blocks and we carry 4 2/8s to put under lifts when the blocks are in place and we need just a little more raise to level.

We added two visual level devices (looks like a smile with a bubble in it) that helps me gauge where on the site we need to place the MH to get the most level position before we put the lifts down. One is on door, and one is on dash near the middle. These are adhesive and i attached when the vehicle was level. it has been a great help.

Greg and Kathy Matthews
florida

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2013, 08:35:29 am »

It would seem that the design of the jacks would not allow it to roll backward; but, being as you can drive off with the jacks down, it could definitely roll forward. I have had my front wheels completely off the ground, and feel that the rears should touch the ground with some weight on them. I carry chocks for the rears as a precaution, but only use them when the rear is higher than I'm comfortable with.

I don't try to level with automatic function of the jacks because they are not calibrated correctly, and I'm to lazy to read the HWH manual and adjust them. To easy to just level individually using a level of your choice.

The jacks stop lifting when they reach their maximum travel height, but I think as long as you hold the button they will run but not extend. If you automatically level them, the system will stop at it's maximum lift and tell you if you if you are can't get level.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2013, 09:36:20 am »

Bruce and I are both on the learning curve on lifts,  I have never used mind,,, they were operated when I purchased to show they work. How ever want to learn a little more and also like Bruce advised like anything you still need to exercise things to keep them working.

Couple of questions..  Agree about auto and adjusting, seems a little complicated,,  Manually, if doing a lift does it stop when I cease pushing the up/down button,,,  for either group side front rear....     do you use the auto restore when retracting the lifts, would make sense to do all of them at the same time

Can you use the lifts while units in storage to take weight off the tires, never saw or heard of this just curious,,,, I would assume not a good ideal since it would keep extended pressure on the  valves.
listening and learning hehe
sparky
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2013, 10:45:58 am »

I wrote to HWH regarding keeping the unit suspended"

You can put the jacks down and take weight off the suspension if you like, it will not hurt anything as far as the jacks are concerned. The only thing I will suggest you do is if you go out once a month or so and start the coach run the jacks at the same time. You obviously do not have to do this but it helps keep moisture out of the motor. [/color] I hope he is talking about the coach engine which we all know should be run regularly.

So according to them ok to use the lifts to keep weight off the tires, etc,,,,  makes sense to exercise the lifts just like anything else..  hopefully a few owners will comment if they do this,,,, I would assume would really help the tires,  shocks are gas filled so I would also assume would help their life span,,, how ever are you going to wear out the lifts sooner????   a delima
sparky

Bob Mahon
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 58
________
PurchDate: 6/2011
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Tan/Gray/Cherry
ExtColor: Lower Slate Gray
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 11:13:13 am »

Auto-level? I don't think mine has that option. Is there a specific switch for Auto-level?

Carry on, regardless..................
"In God we trust" to save our country and bring our troops safely home.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 169
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 12:42:57 pm »

If you have auto level, you have either an upgrade to what Phoenix normally installs or the jacks were added later.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2013, 09:18:49 pm »

If you have auto level, you have either an upgrade to what Phoenix normally installs or the jacks were added later.

I used the word "auto function", but I was referring to the lights showing when you were level and not being calibrated. I used to have an auto level on my last class a, but it wasn't calibrated either and I still leveled manually.
 Wink 

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2013, 09:46:12 am »

My lifts are the 625 series HWH,  think previous owner had them added.  the controller is next to the side door, you can either manually do the jacks  side,ftont. back or do automatic according to the manual,,, the two rear jacks are attached to a bar,, they do not fold back... snot sure how you could do the sides when both rears have to go dwon I think   sure wish they did ... I should have taken a pic yesterday but forgot,,,  I am going to estimate they cost me about 6 to 8 inches of clearance in the rear... I did paly with them a little when I was exercising the genie yesterday,, but got worried they would get stuck,, you have to manually release the valves to retract, so left them alone,,, next time I have the Beast at home will do some more,,, 
    One question,,, does it take a (?) while for them to lower,, seems slow to me,, but not sure..
sparky 
ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2013, 11:34:03 am »

Sparky, your system is lot different than mine that pivot back or forward.

I can tell you that mine work pretty quick, almost instantaneous. Mine are manual and i do the front, then back two tires then level out the sides. ON both the front and back, one side normally extends all the way to the ground then the other side drops down and extends to the ground before the unit get lifted. Sometimes the light goes off -- showing that it is level -- with only one lift down. I always check and try to have every lift on the ground. This stabilizes the unit.

When my unit had problems, called the Moscow facility and they spent about an hour on the phone trying to diagnose the problem, even though the pervious owner had installed the units. We eventually drove there on our way home -- Moscow Iowa-- near the location for the pickers which is a nice diversion when they are working on the vehicle -- and they spent about 3 hours finally diagnosing a wiring problem that they rewired and charged us $65. We stayed on the lot, with 30/50 amp shore power and hot showers for free the night before.

give them a call.

greg and Kathy Matthews
flroida

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2013, 07:16:40 pm »

Thanks Greg, good info..
     I think more than anything it is operator error haha, being chicken... like I mentioned, next time I have the Beast in the driveway will play with them some more.. I actually think they are find I just need to learn to how to operate them.  Also to be honest,,, I have not really had a reason to use them... we camp mainly in RV parks and most of them have been pretty level,, but like knowing how to change a tire, ( yeah it happens) it's nice to know you can use them if needed.
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: