Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Transmission Clunk when shifting between Reverse and Park  (Read 437 times)
Dutch

Helpful Rating: 3
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: March 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Sage/White
________

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2014, 05:12:08 pm »

Couldn't find this topic when doing a search so my experience might be helpful to some other PC owners.

As a new owner of a used 2011 PC 2551 on an E450 chassis, I naturally encountered some things not noticed at the time of purchase. One of these was a loud clunk or clang when shifting into the Park position, especially after backing up. I'm hearing impaired even with aids but when I first heard this while parking at home, I wondered "what in the world just happened". As the vehicle is still under a Ford warranty, I took it to a dealer about 30 miles from here. They actually kept the coach for a week. Here is what they found/reported and backed up by giving me a copy of a print-out from Ford.

"Some 2004-2012 E-Series vehicles including those on small motorhome chassis equipped with a 5-speed auto Torqshift transmission (5R110/5R110W) may exhibit some or all of the following conditions. Clunk when shifting from Drive or Reverse into Park. Clunk or pop upon initial engagement from Reverse to Drive at approximately 2-3 MPH or clunking during 2-3 upshifts. These specific clunk/pop conditions may be intermittent and are a characteristic of powertrain mechanical lash. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR."

It still bothers me somewhat to accept that this is a normal characteristic of what the service tech called a "very big heavy duty transmission. But, I guess I'll learn to live with it. While with the dealer for a week, they took care of some other items that I was not even aware of. It turns out they felt there was excessive slope or movement in the shift lever and replaced the shaft, bushings, pin and lever. They also noticed the coach had a list of about one inch to the curb side. Upon inspection they found that the right rear shock was not installed in its mount or attached at the top. They replaced the shock, nut and rubber saying "it appears that the original shock was never installed properly at the factory." Finally, while inspecting the tires and noting that all 6 on-ground tires had been replaced with "Hankook" brand, the spare was still a Michelin which they replaced under the recall.

Everything was done without charge and overall, I'm a pretty happy camper, but still hate to hear that clunk.

Dave

Big Green Machine

Helpful Rating: 1
________
PurchDate: 02/22/14
IntColor: Sage and Beige
ExtColor: Green, Full body
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 04:51:53 am »

Good to know! Haven't heard that from mine yet... Hopefully won't!

2011 PC-2551 w/ slide.
Rich, Bonnie, & Cricket.
Unit available for showing anytime!
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 08:40:04 am »

How many miles does it have? If the tires have been replaced, it seems it might have 30K or so and a transmission flush might be due. I had a Ford dually that would clunk occasionally but no problems in 85,000 miles.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 37
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 09:39:06 am »

Dutch:

Having had three (3) E-450's (including my current) I have to say they all had/have "clunks" when shifting out of park.  It is a very robust transmission and my  dealer has told me it is a normal sound.  If your transmission has not had its fluid changed i would do that but otherwise I would not worry at all  about the sound and just drive it.   Ron
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »

I seem to recall many years ago, cars with auto-trans and standard rear wheel drive, they all clunked in and out of gear.

As does my 2007 E350.  I never gave it a thought, except bringing back old memories.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Dutch

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: March 2014
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Sage/White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 02:51:14 pm »

Thanks guys for the comments. It's a bit comforting to hear that others have experienced the clunking sound when moving into or out of the Park position. My PC has just 21,500 miles and to my knowledge, the transmission fluid has not been changed. I'll have to check the Ford manual to see what is recommended.

Dave
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:26:49 pm »

I think what Ford is trying to point out with the "lash" is parking on any any grade will pretension a very long drive shaft (drive train?) and universal joints with only the parking pawl to hold it.
I would try setting the parking brake and then putting in park and then by taking it out of park first and then releasing the parking brake and see if that relieves the clunking noises.

For what it's worth my wife's Audi-Quattro does it too, for those same reasons (lots of lash in the system), but have not been able to re-train, fortunately I don't get in that roller skate often.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 07:31:03 pm by lghjr » Logged
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
Model: 2552
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2014, 10:17:53 am »

You could be hearing the universal joints. If the are worn, when you first move the drive shaft they will clunk. You could crawl underneath and look at each one for excess play.

John
Lieutenant

Helpful Rating: -4
________
PurchDate: November 26, 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: tan
ExtColor: brown
________

Our 2910 here in florida

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2014, 03:05:05 pm »

For what its worth, mine thunks too! It's normal . Had a friend who eats and lives Fords and he said it sounds normal.....2012 2910
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: