Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Another sani con tank flushing question  (Read 780 times)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 17
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« on: September 23, 2013, 06:24:20 pm »

Thanks for advice here, I hosed down my black water tank with city water hooked up on the sani con panel.  After one rinse, the black water tank now reads empty instead of 1/3 full when it's empty.  Thank you.

On the sani con panel there is also a button for the coach water pump.  I assume if I open the rinse valve and hit this pump button, I'll flush the tanks with onboard water?  Thanks, Mark

Mark
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2013, 07:17:50 pm »

Mark

The tanks can only be flushed when an outside water source is connected to the SaniCon panel.  The pump switch just turns the onboard water pump on or off.  The new models have three switches (kitchen,bath and Sani Con).

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2013, 07:59:10 am »

i believe that the switch in the sani-con compartment is for turning on and off the water pump when you want to use the outside shower. That way when you are outside and don't want to run inside just to turn on the water. Great when dry camping at the beach.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2013, 03:41:58 pm »

Our older 2007 model has no such switch.  Like Tom says, it would be handy to have by the outside shower.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 06:28:04 pm »

I have some more questions on the use of the Sani-con system, too.  So, I'm tagging them on here.  (Please forgive me for bothering you with such trivial matters.)

First a long description:
I alway dump the black tank with the Sani-con system and follow the recommended procedure of tank equalization and draining the black tank to try to keep it clean and flushed out.  I alway add Thetford Aqua-Kem and about a gallon of water when I know the tank is empty.  But, after every dump is complete, the indicator lights inside says that the black tank is 2/3 full.  I then flush the black tank with my flush water hose until I can see that the water coming out of the tank looks clear.  Now, the indicator light says the black tank is empty.  I didn't expect to need to do the extra flush after every black dump.

Questions:
Is the Aqua-Kem inadequate to enable a clean flush?  Should I use a different product?  Should I just do as I'm doing and be happy to have the Sani-con instead of just the old messy 3" system?

Another long description:
When we're in the same RV park location for more than a few days, I've been using the 3" dump valve to drain the gray tank every day if the dump station is near the rear of the coach and I can connect with a short 3" type hose.  I leave the 3" drain tube connected, so it is a quick task to open the gray valve in the sani-con compartment and the 3" valve at the back end, then reverse the process after the gray tank is empty.  I use the 3" drain for this because I'm reluctant to leave the Sani-con hose laying out on the ground and it often doesn't stay screwed into the dump as the 3" hose does.

Now for a couple of questions:
1.  I've been closing the Sani-con gray valve every day rather than leave it open and let the little "open" light stay on.  I hate the thought of that light burning out and have to replace it.  Am I being too cautious here? (I've read that some of you leave the valve open in a similar situation--any problem?)
2.  Maybe this question will help resolve the question above:  I just noticed today that when I open the Sani-con gray tank with the Sani-con switch, the pull handle on the gray tank comes out automatically.  Could I just pull that handle out manually and avoid the constant "light" issue, or would I break something?

PS: I know there is a gray tank overflow by-pass on the Sani-con that I could rely on, but then I'd still have the "open" light issue, right?

Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 06:46:13 pm »

Bruce

This is another one of those opinion items so I can only tell you what I do.  First if I connect my 3" hose I always leave the gray tank open.  I spoke with the manufacturer and that red light is an LED that will last for many hours.  I leave my gray tank open for weeks at a time.  Second, I will flush both the black and gray tanks until the water runs clear whenever possible.  Lastly, toilet tissue used is also something to consider.  We do the toilet paper test to determine what brand is best for us. Take two sheets of a brand of toilet paper and place them in a 16oz glass. Fill the glass about half way or so with water. Shake. See how fast it breaks up.  We have found that angel soft is the best. Even better than the RV toilet paper they market

Barry
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 06:54:43 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2013, 12:06:35 am »

Barry,
Thanks for the great reply to my questions. I plan to follow your procedure.
Bruce

Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 11:30:35 am »

Bruce
    I previously had read Barry's post on TP, we now use the same.  AS far as chemicals for the tank,,,  we do stay too long in any one place 3/4 days at most. I only use Calgon water softener in the tank,,, I mix about 4oz gallon of water, pour about half into sinks,shower, rest into toilet. the tanks and pipes become very slippery.. it is suppose to coat the walls of the pipes and tanks where nothing sticks... I have no problem dumping smell... I usually sanitize the fresh tanks twice a year,,( we travel usually spring and fall)   while doing this I also put some weak bleach mixture down all the pipes and toilet. flush everything, fill up the tanks water,  add more calgon to the system and away we go.
If you want I can find the actual posting on the Calgaon,,, was from some guy who had been RVing for 20+years.
sparky
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2013, 10:45:59 pm »

Sparky,
Thanks for your input on this, too.  Very good!
Bruce

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: