Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Rubber Floor Mat  (Read 1411 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 80
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: September 24, 2013, 09:36:43 pm »

The rubber floor mat was discussed in at least two different posts so I'm giving it its own spot. I am attaching pictures of the mat that Phoenix put in for us in the hope that it would soften the vibration sound we were getting. It does seem to reduce some of the engine noise (not the vibration problem, but other normal noise) and it definitely helps insulate the floor to reduce the heat issue. This is a Ford product and the dealer knew right off what I was asking about and offered to look it up. It has a 1/4 to 1/2 inch of insulation under most of it. The mat tapers to the edges and around connections so the thickness varies. I could not find it online but I may not be using the right terms. I have attached pictures of it in the rig after a long trip and before cleaning. Please forgive the dirt as I wanted to take the pictures and post while I was remembering to do it.

The last shot shows what happens when you take pictures instead of feeding the queen kamping kitty. That isn't a vicious face, that mid-meooooowwwwwwwwww.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2013, 09:51:38 pm by 2 Frazzled » Logged

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
skipper

Helpful Rating: 17
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 08:42:12 am »

Thanks for posting this.  I'm taking my PC to the Ford dealer next week to investigate my vibration and I'm going to see if he can order this mat for me.  I'm also going to see about insulating the doghouse and see if I can make the inside a little quieter when running down the road. Mark

Mark
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 09:14:43 am »

If by doghouse you mean the engine cowling/console thingy, I asked Jordon Ford if they could add insulation there and they said no. They said there is insulation in there with a metallic/reflective covering between the insulation and engine but there isn't enough clearance to put in MORE insulation. MAYBE they can remove what is there and put in better insulation. If so, let us know because anything that cuts that heat would be worth it. Besides the floor heat our CD's get really hot to the touch even when the player isn't on. That heat is radiating right up through the dash. Now it was actually welcome the other day when it dropped to the low 40s overnight. We toasted up quickly when we started driving but the majority of the time we don't plan to be playing in the cold so less heat is best.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 02:45:29 pm »

The mat appears to be the same Ford would install on the assembly line inside an industrial cut-away chassis for box truck applications.  It might be had through any Ford dealer parts department.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2013, 05:44:51 pm »

I was looking into heat and noise insulation a while back and noticed that a lot of folks that are into hot-rodding and car rebuilding use a variety of materials.  Lizardskin, Dynamat, Fatmat are some of the more popular items.  This is an interesting article on the subject and also lists a variety of products: http://www.hotrodhotline.com/installing-heat-and-sound-insulation#.UkNVKee9KSM

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2013, 07:16:22 pm »

Ron, I believe you are right and this mat might be found about the factory installed aspect. I had actually requested something like this when we ordered the PC but Stuart said the carpet was already in there and it would be $500 to tear it out and put in a mat. We skipped that option... and didn't totally buy the story that Phoenix bought the chassis with our color of carpet already in the cab.

I figured Ford would have it but didn't find it online. Hitting a local Ford parts dealer should net one.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 10:02:08 am »

Stuart said the carpet was already in there and it would be $500 to tear it out and put in a mat. We skipped that option... and didn't totally buy the story that Phoenix bought the chassis with our color of carpet already in the cab.
I do wonder if the cut-away chassis specific for RV application is delivered to the PC factory with no floor covering of any kind.  The RV cut-away chassis does not come with outside mirrors, seats, dash panel inserts and other things lacking because the RV outfitters like PC-USA install their own.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 10:56:44 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 11:44:41 am »

You can see in the new video that the cut away comes without any carpet. It is a great video, because Aimee loves us as much as we love her.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 12:06:44 pm »

You can see in the new video that the cut away comes without any carpet. It is a great video, because Aimee loves us as much as we love her.
What new video?  I will have to sniff around the website.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2013, 02:47:55 pm »

"Because I love y'all the mostest"  under general discussion.

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2013, 02:56:52 pm »

Ah!  I am watching it as I am typing here.  Thanks Tom.

skipper

Helpful Rating: 17
________
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2013, 08:33:31 am »

When I heard about this mat, I was anxious to get to my Ford dealer to order it.  However, looking at the pictures, I see this is what is already installed in my 2013 2552.  Interesting.   I may pull it up and see if I can add some insulation under it or put something else on top.

I pulled the cowling yesterday and there is a foil backed insulation product attached to the inside of the doghouse.  It looks like there is plenty of room to add more insulation except maybe near the exhaust.  I think this will be my first project.

Mark
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 09:57:38 am »

good topic
   Have read some of the fixes. No one has told us what the mat would cost.    For that flat area, next to the engine cowling I would suggest some of that rubber mat I used in the hallway and bathroom,,,,http://bathrooomproject.blogspot.com/   I going to wait and see what Ron does since it already sounds like he is going to pull up his carpet and do something.. want to know how hard/easy pulling up the carpet is, before I attempt to do something,   BTW, we keep a large dog bed in that area its about 4 inches thick, that's where our puppy dog rides when we are driving, he usually stays there the whole time so the heat coming up does not seem to bother him
sparky
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2013, 12:45:49 pm »

I going to wait and see what Ron does since it already sounds like he is going to pull up his carpet and do something.. want to know how hard/easy pulling up the carpet is, before I attempt to do something...
I would have thought it best to leave the PC carpet in place given it is glued down and works well as an insulator and as a sound barrier.  I would remove the seats and whatever trim needed such as like door sills and simply place the Ford (or generic)mat over the carpet.

For the record, my wife and I travel together without children or pets.  Our PC carpet seems to be holding up quite well given that we pay attention to dirty shoes and we do have Ford van floor mats over the PC carpet in the foot wells.

Hardwood floors are surely beautiful, and the 100% vinyl flooring has some popularity as well.  But I actually enjoy or carpet where it is and where it is not.  It feels like home when inside by the dinette and easy chair with our shoes off.  We do place a long throw rug over the vinyl floor in front of sink & stove but does not compare, but I appreciate the vinyl flooring there in the galley and bathroom.

Our OEM Ford floor mats Look similar to these.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 12:54:01 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 30, 2013, 05:50:21 pm »

I have ordered thses floor mats from WeatherTech. They should be here tomorrow. I will let you all know how well they fit. They look good in the pictures and I have used their cargo mat for the back of my Jeep Grand Cherokee.

http://www.weathertech.com/ford/2012/econoline-e-series/floor-mats-all-weather/

Tom Hanlon
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: