Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Back up camera and monitor  (Read 815 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2013, 04:10:58 pm »

Took MH to local Millers Rv service in Honeybrook, Pa and they found a loose wire with the backup camera and they taped all the coneections so if I hid a bump in the road it wont come loose again. So I did not have to get a new camera.
    they also blew out the lines in the refrigerator so the propane automatically will turn on when I disconnect the shore power.  Must of had a cobweb or some speck of dirt in the line..
   MH passed inspection and we are ready to head to Good Sam Rally in Atanta Ga and hope for good weather.  This will be our last trip before we will winterize it for  the winter and store in the Pole Barn until Spring.
   Cheer
Bruce and Sharon

Helpful Rating: 38
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2013, 11:06:21 pm »

Can you tell us where in the coach the loose connection was located?
We were near the end of our 180 mile trip today when the rear view monitor became very dim and then turned completely blue for a short time.  Then the dim image reappeared.  Sounds something like what you experienced.
I haven't had time to start looking for the problem and we plan to be on our way again early tomorrow (Sunday) and hope you can help me locate a loose connection.
Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2013, 10:40:44 am »

Bruce, what you're experiencing is exactly what happened with my previous pc.  For me, the problem was corrected by disconnecting, reconnecting and taping the cable connection at the rear of the pc (someone else on this forum suggested I do that).  The camera cable connects to a longer cable in the empty space inside the back of the pc.  I unscrewed the top tail light below the camera, and pulled the cable up until the connection appeared.  There's plenty of slack in the cable to do this.  Once I did that, the camera/monitor worked perfectly.
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2013, 01:26:14 pm »

Thanks for the quick reply to the camera question.
 I removed the screws holding the top center tail light, but found the "ring" that holds the lens in to be firmly attached to the wall.  It seems to be made of plastic and didn't want to move without some force.  Being afraid that I would break it while we're far away from help, I just put it all back as I found it and will try again another day.
Here's hoping that we get at least a dim image during our trip today.
Bruce

frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2013, 01:32:17 pm »

Can you tell us where in the coach the loose connection was located?
We were near the end of our 180 mile trip today when the rear view monitor became very dim and then turned completely blue for a short time.  Then the dim image reappeared.  Sounds something like what you experienced.
I haven't had time to start looking for the problem and we plan to be on our way again early tomorrow (Sunday) and hope you can help me locate a loose connection.
Bruce
All I know is that William at the RV place just pulled all the wiring out from the camera and taped all the connections so that if we hid some rough road we shouldn't have any problems with coming undone.  Their was one connection that was loose. He also change the channel wave to AV-2, whatever that means.  It is working fine now.  He also lowered the TV and did the connections there also.
Hope this helps.  It is something I wouldn't try to do myself. Leaving it up to the RV people.  Have a safe trip..... Cheer

lmichael

Helpful Rating: 28
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2013, 07:54:49 pm »

The lights are sealed with caulk.  A putty knife and light pressure moving around the light will loosen it.
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2013, 10:16:12 pm »

We made it to our destination safely today with the rear view camera in a dim mode.
Changing the "channel wave" sounds interesting (don't know what it means either).  Maybe I changed something when I bumped my head on the monitor yesterday. 
 I need to read a manual on this camera and monitor before I do anything else.
Thanks for your help.
Bruce

Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 07:43:05 pm »

This is an update relating to our intermittent lack of a clear picture in the rear view monitor.

After describing the symptoms to Kermit on the phone, he thinks the problem was caused by a faulty camera.  He sent us a replacement camera and told me how to reach the connecting cable at the rear.  No need to remove any tail light cover--just pull out the rubber grommet in the rear wall that holds the camera's cable there and pull the line out of the hole.  Then it was very easy to look for a loose connection--none found.   

The old camera was working just before I removed it and the new one is working fine too while we're parked in our storage lot.  Intermittent failures can be very frustrating to stop as one is seldom certain that an attempted fix has made a permanent difference!

We haven't taken any trips since we first reported this issue, but plan to travel over 700 miles in November.  That trip should be a good test to see if the problem is really solved.

Will report again later.

Bruce

Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: