Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Inverter  (Read 709 times)
richenneke

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/20/2013
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2013, 09:35:14 pm »

I am new to this forum, but not new to RV'ing.  Wife and I full-timed 14 years in a big diesel pusher, then she got pancreatic cancer and died.   I thought that part of my life was all done, but now it is 5 years later, and I have a new lady and a 2007 pc2400.  You just never can tell.  Now my question.  I didn't have an inverter in the Dutchstar.   This inverter makes a fairly loud noise at all times.  Even to the point of being obnoxious.  Is this normal, or do I have a problem?  We just bought this, and are still working out the wrinkles.  Thanks for any help on this.
yankeeflyer
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 05:41:09 am »

Welcome to the PC forum! What type of noise is it? Clicking or humming/?
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 05:47:30 am »

Kermit spoke about inverters/converters at the PC Rally. I made a few notes and verified their accuracy with him prior to posting. Here's what I've got:

Phoenix Converter / Inverter Clarification

Notes:
-   Phoenix originally told people to leave their inverter on all the time. Now they recommend that you leave it off unless you need it. If you are ALWAYS running off shore power, you NEVER need the inverter. It is just along for the ride. You only need the inverter if you are pulling power from your house batteries.
-   The CONVERTER converts the A/C 110 shore power to 12 Volt to power your lights, fans, slide, awning, step, etc. If you can turn it on without plugging in to shore power, the power is coming from your batteries.
-   The INVERTER inverts the 12 Volt power from your batteries to supply A/C 110 power to your electrical outlets, television, etc.
-   In the 2551 and 2552 both the inverter and converter are located under the passenger side bed. Both have fans that run when the unit needs to cool down. This can happen even if they are not actively being used. The converter is the lower section of the metal distribution panel (brown panel with the fuses) on the side of the bed and that is the fan that most people hear running at random times.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
richenneke

Helpful Rating: 0
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/20/2013
Model: 2400 Ford
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2013, 07:12:54 am »

Thanks for the advice. Based on what you say, I think I am hearing a fan running.  I am a little confused about turning it off, however.  The only options I have are "inverter" or "line charge".   The fan runs in both of these.  It is loud enough to new mildly irritating if the radio, tv, etc is not on. 
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2013, 07:33:23 am »

Do a search for inverters and converters under Ron.dittmer postings. He has explained this in detail and how to get around the issues. The 2007 PCs have different equipment than the current models. He will most likely jump in here later today, so keep checking here.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2013, 09:10:07 am »

Tom is correct. Model years 2007 and 2008 (and only those years) have the Tripp-Lite Inverter that Ron Dittmer is a pro on. I thought the converter fan noise was the same for all years but I could be wrong about that. Ron has it all down pat for the 2007 units.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 181
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 10:30:03 am »

I'm here.

Hi Rich!  Welcome to the PC forum!

Yes the inverter in the 2007 model year is the Tripp-Lite brand.  We've owned our Phoenix Cruiser 2007 2350 since new so that is why I am familiar with them.  You are correct that it likes to make noise randomly, most from the fan running for what seems to be for no reason.  Ours used to wake me up at night.

CLICK HERE and read through my thread on this subject matter.  Given you own a 2400 instead of a 2350, you might need to remove the 4 screws on the Tripp-Lite control panel and pull it out from the cabinet to unplug the phone jack connector I mention.  After reading through the thread, if you have anymore questions, please ask them on that thread to keep it lumped together for others to review years from now when they have the same questions.

I'll try my best to help you through your Tripp-Lite inverter jungle.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2013, 09:30:41 am by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: