Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: "TOW Haul" feature as shown on dash and trans light keeps coming on.  (Read 16023 times)
frecklestweety

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/2012
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
Slide: Yes
IntColor: BROWN/BEIGE
ExtColor: WHT/TAN
________

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:57:33 pm »

I have used the "Tow Haul" feature when towing my saturn vue behind the PC.  What is everyones opinion on this.  Does it help the transmission.  Plus the trans light comes on even when there is sufficient fluid .  I just had motorhome inspected a week ago and all was well with the fluids.  The light went on just as we were on our second leg of out trip.  We stopped and checked the fluids and they were find.  disconnected battery cables and the light did not go out this time.?????  I hate sensors.  PC road fine with no problems so what can it be.   Should I be using the Tow Haul all the time.  I don't think it has anything to do with the trans light.?????   Any suggestions..... Help
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: April 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 07:28:10 pm »

I have the same PC as yours, 2010 2551, and I tow a Jeep Wrangler.  I use the "Tow Haul" feature because it changes the shift points so the transmission doesn't keep changing gears so much on hilly terrain.  I think it is easier on the transmission because it doesn't have to shift so often in those situations.  I especially like it when descending mountain grades to keep from overheating the brakes, it does a great job holding the speed on descents.  When cruising on flat freeways I turn off the "Tow Haul".  Don't really need to since the transmission will still go into overdrive in "Tow Haul" mode, but I don't like how it feels when coming to a stop in "Tow Haul" - hard downshifting.

I am curious about the transmission light problem, I went out and turned the key on and checked the manual and I don't see a warning light specifically for the transmission, can you describe it in a little more detail.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:19:03 pm »

If you are still within the 3 year/36,000 mile Ford chassis warranty, I would definitely get that rig over to a Ford dealership and have them check it over.  Even if they don't find a problem, you will be in their system.  If it later becomes a big problem, you should be covered because the initial complaint happened during the warranty period.  Vehicle manufactures are pretty good about that these days....especially Ford.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 07:43:43 am »

An addition to Bob's info; Kermit told us that when you have the tow-haul switch on, you can tap the brake on a descent and the truck will downshift into a lower gear. Tap it again and it downshifts again. This helps reduce the constant braking on some of the steep hills. John wants me to point out that the engine revs way up when you do this so be aware.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 09:01:52 am »

Yes,, towing or not, this is great coming down steep grades, just leaving the engine do the breaking for you.

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 03:51:03 pm »

Kermit told us that when you have the tow-haul switch on, you can tap the brake on a descent and the truck will downshift into a lower gear. Tap it again and it downshifts again.
I believe our 2007 Torqushift transmission with tow/haul mode is the same as installed in the 2013s.  I never knew this.  Under such conditions, I've always braked aggressively until the rig slowed down enough to down shift on it's own.  I'll have to try that tapping method and see if it works for me.  It would be great if it does.

frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 07:35:30 pm »

I have the same PC as yours, 2010 2551, and I tow a Jeep Wrangler.  I use the "Tow Haul" feature because it changes the shift points so the transmission doesn't keep changing gears so much on hilly terrain.  I think it is easier on the transmission because it doesn't have to shift so often in those situations.  I especially like it when descending mountain grades to keep from overheating the brakes, it does a great job holding the speed on descents.  When cruising on flat freeways I turn off the "Tow Haul".  Don't really need to since the transmission will still go into overdrive in "Tow Haul" mode, but I don't like how it feels when coming to a stop in "Tow Haul" - hard downshifting.

I am curious about the transmission light problem, I went out and turned the key on and checked the manual and I don't see a warning light specifically for the transmission, can you describe it in a little more detail.

Bob  checked the manual again and the icon means service engine soon.  I just had it inspected and all the fluids checked and they were fine
before I left from home a week ago.  So don'tknow what else it could be....I am in Bluff Tn and will leave on Monday for Stone Mountain GA and stayed until the 16th when I will go into the Good Sam Rally at the Atanta Speedway.   
bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2013, 10:08:04 pm »

Bob  checked the manual again and the icon means service engine soon.  I just had it inspected and all the fluids checked and they were fine
before I left from home a week ago.  So don'tknow what else it could be....I am in Bluff Tn and will leave on Monday for Stone Mountain GA and stayed until the 16th when I will go into the Good Sam Rally at the Atanta Speedway.  

If the check engine light is staying on then the On Board Diagnostics System has detected a malfunction, the problem can be any number of things.  You need to get the code read on the OBD-II port under the steering wheel to see what the problem is.  A Ford dealer or an independent shop can do that, and most auto parts stores will do this or you can buy a code reader that will work with any newer vehicle.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 02:30:39 am by bobander » Logged

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2013, 07:23:30 am »

My wife is real good at turning on the "Check engine light" on her jeep. She does not get the gas cap on correctly or tight enough and the light will come on. After removing the cap and putting it on correctly, all you have to do is start the engine three or four times and the light will stop coming on. This is done under normal driving conditions. We found this in the owners manual.

That being said, it never hurts to have the codes read.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 32
________
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2013, 08:51:01 am »

1. With light on is it actually in tow haul mode. Easy to tell difference because of shift points. I had the problem and it was due to animal chewing on the wiring.
2. The free checks at auto stores, do NOT do transmission codes.

John
bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2013, 11:07:47 am »

Frecklestweety,

Is this what you are saying -- the check engine symbol light is staying on and the "Tow Haul" light comes on when in Tow Haul mode?  If so, then the "Tow Haul" light is working properly, but there is a malfunction detected by the on board diagnostics that may or may not be related to the transmission.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2013, 07:19:51 pm by bobander » Logged

2010  PC 2551
frecklestweety

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2013, 08:04:03 pm »

Frecklestweety,

Is this what you are saying -- the check engine symbol light is staying on and the "Tow Haul" light comes on when in Tow Haul mode?  If so, then the "Tow Haul" light is working properly, but there is a malfunction detected by the on board diagnostics that may or may not be related to the transmission.
Tow Haul feature works fine. The only light is saying service engine soon.  Spoke with Ford dealer in Bristol, and he said it could be a number of things and can  not see us until Tuesday to a diagnoxtic test.   
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2013, 09:13:20 pm »

The only light is saying service engine soon.  Spoke with Ford dealer in Bristol, and he said it could be a number of things and can  not see us until Tuesday to a diagnoxtic test.
Oh, Okay!  So your "Service Engine Soon" light is on.  The problem is likely unrelated to the transmission or the tow/haul mode, but might be simply influenced by them.  A Ford dealer should be able to identify the problem quickly.

bobander
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2013, 11:55:46 pm »

Tow Haul feature works fine. The only light is saying service engine soon.  Spoke with Ford dealer in Bristol, and he said it could be a number of things and can  not see us until Tuesday to a diagnoxtic test.   

Be sure to let us know the outcome.

2010  PC 2551
ragoodsp

Helpful Rating: 38
________
PurchDate: May 5, 2012
Model: 3100
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2013, 11:21:32 am »

It is my understanding that the "service soon" light is based on both time and miles, if it was not reset the last time you had your oil changed it may have just "timed out" and needs to be reset.  Most manafacturers have a sequence to go thru with the ingnition or other reset keys that will reset the clock/miles in the ECM and away you go, you should be able to do this sequence yourself.  I would not worry much about that light being on (unlike the check engine light)  since i do not beleieve that in 2010 the  E-450 had onboard dignostics that actaully evaluated the condiiton of the oil in real time and send a meesage when the oil is actually reaching the end of its life the way 2013 cars currently operate.... I may be wrong
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: