Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Which shocks come standard from the factory?  (Read 735 times)
smoline

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/10/2011
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling (lower)
________

View Profile
« on: October 10, 2013, 04:58:47 pm »

Hi Folks:

I have followed all the threads on steering stabilization and improved handling for my 2012 2350. I went to Camping World today to schedule the work for stabilizer, sway bar, and shocks. The service desk technician told me that newer Ford E350s come from the factory with heavy duty shocks already installed (not sure if that's Ford's factory or Phoenix Cruiser's) and to double check before I replaced the stock shocks with HD Bilsteins.

Can anyone confirm this? Does a 2012 2350 benefit from upgraded Bilsteins, or does it indeed arrive already outfitted with HD shocks?

Thanks in advance to all.

Kind regards,

Steve
Denny & Barb

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2013, 06:24:07 pm »

For what it's worth, I replaced mine with Bilstein HD shocks and I think it was a waste of money.  Didn't notice any handling improvements.

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2013, 08:04:50 pm »

Hi Steve,

PC-USA does not change out the Ford shocks unless requested by the customer.

I am not sure about the 2012 E350 chassis, but the 2007 E350 chassis we own, the original Ford shocks were considered "heavy duty", but were inferior compared to Bilteins-RV and Koni-RV.  I compared 2007 specs and the E350 cut-aways were equiped with the exact same shocks Ford installed on their E250 van.  So take that bit of information for what it's worth.

Our 2007 E350 2350 has Koni-RV adjustable shocks that we had installed as part of an over-all suspension upgrade, done after we took delivery from PC-USA.  Because so much changed all at once, I can't compare just the shocks, only the over-all change which was miraculous.  Our shocks are set to stiffest for best handling so the ride is not as cushy as could be.  I never tried them set to soft because changing the setting involves dismounting them.

I would hold off on new shocks only because Koni is coming out this year with their best motor home shock called FSD.  They change as conditions change, soft when they can be for a smooth ride, and hard when they need to go into heavy-duty mode.  It happens internally within the shocks, occurs instantaneously.  FSD shocks have been available for class A motor homes for many years.  They are finally coming out with ones for the E350/E450.  I would wait for them.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2013, 08:11:53 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 08:17:17 am »

I don't know what comes on the 2012 E350 in the way of shocks. I would drive your PC and then tell us what it is doing that you don't like or wish it did better before you go spending a lot of money.

In my case I felt that my 2012 2552 rode and handled pretty nice but that it floated a little more than I care for, almost like a Chevy. So I replaced the shocks with the new silver Bilstein HD from eshock.com, installed by Rice tire in Frederick, Md. I felt this was a large improvement in ride and handling. Then I wanted to tighten up the steering, so I replaced the steering dampener with the Bilstein. Now I can relax while driving and still have control when needed. I did not want to spend the extra money for the Safe-T-Plus just in case I had a front tire blow out. I feel that rarely happens.  I do not feel that I need a heavier sway bar than came on the original chassis. When I had a 2010 2350 on the E450 I replaced the rear sway bar and did not feel any improvement.

I feel it is better to do one change at a time and then drive it a while before doing the next improvement.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
smoline

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 02:50:02 pm »

Thanks, friends. I appreciate the info and advice.

Best regards,

Steve
smoline

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:28 pm »

Upgrade complete. Had the Safe-T-Plus steering control and (anti?) Sway Bar installed. The unit (2012 2350 on Ford chassis) still tends to "meander" a bit between the white lines, albeit less so than before. However the back-and-forth side-to-side "wallowing" it did while driving is now thankfully gone. It drives solid and straight without the lateral "rolling" it used to do.

I opted out of having the shocks replaced and am now not sure whether or not adding HD shocks to the equation would have made any difference. I'll have a better idea once I get some miles on the rig with these new changes. Maybe I'll get bold and adventurous and try to replace the shocks myself!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Steve
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2013, 05:08:38 pm »

Maybe I'll get bold and adventurous and try to replace the shocks myself
I hear of people doing that all the time at home on the driveway.  The only challenge is the one under the driver.  You supposedly hold the top nut still and turn the shock.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
smoline

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2013, 11:23:19 am »

Thanks, Ron. I confess I'm still overwhelmed by the choices and options to choose. I've been to Bilstein's website and can't figure out which is the right HD shock for my 2012 E350 chassis. Any ideas?

Steve
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 131
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2013, 01:14:22 pm »

Upgrade complete. Had the Safe-T-Plus steering control and (anti?) Sway Bar installed. The unit (2012 2350 on Ford chassis) still tends to "meander" a bit between the white lines, albeit less so than before. However the back-and-forth side-to-side "wallowing" it did while driving is now thankfully gone. It drives solid and straight without the lateral "rolling" it used to do.

I opted out of having the shocks replaced and am now not sure whether or not adding HD shocks to the equation would have made any difference. I'll have a better idea once I get some miles on the rig with these new changes. Maybe I'll get bold and adventurous and try to replace the shocks myself!

Thanks again for the assistance.

Steve

Steve,

I know this has been mentioned in many other posts but not in this one so I thought I would throw it out.  The "meandering" you are still feeling could well be caused by over-inflation of the tires.  The "meandering" I felt with my 2010 2551 was gone when I lowered the tire pressures.  I weighed the RV loaded for travel and found that I could go from 80 psi to 65 psi front and rear, I eventually ended up at 70 front and 75 rear.  You can find the inflation charts from Michelin online.  So, if you have not adjusted your tire pressures for the actual load, I would try that next.

With over-inflated tires, the tires edges are not making good contact with the road and this could cause the "meandering" feeling as the front tires are not properly gripping the road.  Proper inflation for the actual load will provide the optimum footprint for the tire.  If you haven't already done this then it would be worth a try as it doesn't cost anything.

Bob A

2010  PC 2551
smoline

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2013, 07:01:08 am »

Thanks, Bob. I'll give that a try. I've been keeping my tires inflated to the PSI posted inside the door frame. I'll lower the front a bit and see if that helps.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: