Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HWH Levelers or 50 Amp upgrade?  (Read 683 times)
Bside60

Helpful Rating: 2
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb 2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cafe
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: October 11, 2013, 01:00:18 am »

We actually managed to arrange a side trip to the PC factory this Saturday the 12th when we fly out to watch our daughter's rowing competition in Rockford Illinois. We may  pull the trigger and put in the order. When considering a 2350 build I was wondering if any forum members had an opinion on the choice between spending $$$ on either a HWH Leveler option OR the 50 amp upgrade, which would you choose? (I know the 50 Amp is roughly half the price). Coming from a truck camper (mostly dry camping, no genset) we are used to being pretty minimalist. Other than A/C(s) we don't foresee running a lot of appliances.
Thanks,
Bob
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:12:19 pm by Bside60 » Logged
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 07:37:36 am »

This is totally personal opinion and we have the 2552 so it isn't exactly the same as finding level with the 2350 but I would totally vote for the levelers. We have been full time for a month and a half and have camped everywhere from paved pads to crooked parking lots to mud holes with "gravel pads" (that's a generous description). We haven't even hit the National Forest sites yet. We love our levelers. They won't get you level in every situation all by themselves but they sure get you there most of the time with minimal pain and effort. We watch other campers setting up and leveling and repeatedly say how happy we are that we don't have to do that. I watched a couple last night setting up a travel trailer on a questionable gravel pad. The brave wife stood in the rain in ankle deep water and mud in the dark holding the flashlight so hubby could back it in. They then spent a good 20 minutes trying to level her. I've seen fancy plastic blocks, huge wooden blocks (where do they carry all that?) and what looks like stacked firewood, all in an effort to get somewhat level, often still sitting at a tilt. We pull in to the most level section of ground we can get, set out the jack pads if we are on soft ground, then drop the jacks and level... all in minutes.

As for the 50 amp, we have had tripped the power a few times due to turning on the microwave while we have the AC on. We've pretty much learned to turn the AC to fan only, nuke the food, then turn the AC back on. We don't usually microwave for an extended time so it works. We don't know if you can use the convection part of the stove with the AC on when running 30 amps. Maybe someone else will weigh in with the benefits of 50 amps. I know some get it and add a second AC unit but I think that would be overkill in the 2350 unless you plan to camp REALLY hot areas for extended time.

So, that's my two cents worth. Hope it helps. Enjoy your factory tour and your new PC. We've had a few break in problems but LOVE ours.

Holly

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 168
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 07:57:44 am »

I fully agree with what Holly said. My choice is the jacks first and the 50 amp second. Just remember that the 50 amp cord is a lot heavier and harder to coil than the 30 amp. Ask to see one before making you choice.
Enjoy the factory.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
gradygal
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 87
________
PurchDate: March 2012
Model: 2910
IntColor: cherry
ExtColor: slate gray full body paint
________

our 3rd PC--Custom 2910

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 09:45:50 am »

Bob

I would suggest that you ask about upgrading the AC to 15000 BTU. The new Mach 8 with the dual fans are quieter. Search other posts on the Forum. There are others who have had them installed at build.

George

Judi and George Nicholson
Punta Gorda FL
Bside60

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 01:13:55 pm »

Thank you everyone! You opinions are what I am after and they have been very helpful. Holly, all I had to do was read your post to my wife about that woman being ankle deep in rainwater and mud at night with a flashlight and the decision was made!
« Last Edit: October 11, 2013, 01:22:09 pm by Bside60 » Logged
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
PurchDate: May 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2013, 05:45:57 pm »

Bob, one thing we regret not having installed during the build is the Progressive Industries power manager. We've already hit some dicy power and were thankful we have the portable version but we almost left it hanging on the pole once and it is kind of big to stuff into the back bin BUT we do not plug in without it Keelhauler has his hard wired in and has confirmed that it is truly plug and play. If you blow a part due to bad electric, you replace that part. SO much better than frying the wiring in the rig or any electronics you may have onboard.

Well, two things; I LOVE solar and wish we had it installed at the factory. Someday...

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Bside60

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2013, 11:33:25 pm »

Great suggestions! I am going to have a lot more questions for Earl tomorrow.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: