Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: HEAT along the passenger wing wall  (Read 996 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« on: October 11, 2013, 06:06:01 pm »

Our passenger seat is the toasty zone. We were doing a long, slow, twisty climb up to about 3600 feet elevation on the Blue Ridge Parkway when it felt like a heater fan was blowing up my left arm. I felt the wing wall and it was really hot. We could smell hot metal. We pulled over and felt the lower back edge of the door frame and it was almost too hot to touch. The outside skin was cool so it is rising up from underneath. The engine temp was within normal limits. We checked under the rig as best we could but couldn't identify any culprit. Is this normal for times when the engine has been pulling hard for a while?

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2013, 10:34:42 am »

Sorry, I'm confused,( when you said left arm)  but just couple of points,,,  assume your talking about the pass side,,,  is the muffler on that side?? (minds in storage)  maybe due to speed you were driving you just got extra heat coming up on that side.. also the way that the undercarriage vents with all those nooks and crannies, it could again have been the speed you were going.. double check your battery tray,, if the batteries are messed up they will heat up,,   you didn't leave the water heater on did you?/  not sure if to that temp though..any just some points to check  good luck  let us know if you figure out what it was
sparky
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2013, 04:11:31 pm »

Sorry, Sparky, it was my right arm (I get confused and loose track of body parts). The hot water heater was not on. There is no internal component right there, just the passenger seat with cabinets and euro chair behind it. I surely have no clue what is underneath.  The muffler/tail pipe is around there, a bit back in but it is possible the heat from that was rolling off the heat shield and toasting it up under the passenger seat as we climbed the hills. I crawled under and it feels like the side of the heat shield ends pretty close to edge of what I believe to be the muffler... or some such exhaust type component, instead of being centered over it.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 08:24:59 pm »

No problem on the body parts I lose my head all the time haha,,,, ok I guess were going to have to go with the heat following some crazy path.. just bothers me that the door area you mentioned you could not or barely touch it,,, sure it was not the sun, that time of the year should have not heated that area that much.  maybe someone will else comment  luck
sparky
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 07:49:35 am »

The outside of the door was not hot. When I opened the door and touched the inside door jamb is where it was heating up. I think we have some decent climbs coming up in NC. We'll keep checking it to see if we can track the heat. Thanks for all the analytical effort. We'll let you know if we find anything.

Dutch

Helpful Rating: 3
________
PurchDate: March 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Sage/White
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 02:55:48 pm »

While this topic has not surfaced in nearly a year, we too have experienced a VERY HOT passenger seat area along with a VERY HOT wall that encases the passenger seat belt mechanism. This past weekend while traveling up hwy 101 and a few days later on the return trip, there was so much heat on the passenger side that my wife could not remain seated there. No heat was coming from the engine casing and the drivers side was comfortable. Immediately after arriving home with the heat still radiating, I found that the large metal plate that supports the swivel passenger seat was so hot that you did not want to touch it. Crawling under the rig I noticed that the exhaust pipes and heat shield while slightly to the right of center, were not in any direct contact with the floor of the coach. Thus, I'm unable to determine with any certainty, just what causes so much heat on the support plate and up the wall behind the passenger door. Any new thoughts on the subject?  shrug
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 04:15:50 pm »

Like many, our 2007 E350 has the passenger side hot floor issue.  I had purchased a kit that wraps the passenger side exhaust manifold but chickened out because I was concerned over the manifold itself.  The kit cost a bit over $100 and didn't look like much for the money spent.  The insulating material would have been held in place using some thin metal wire ties.

I completely lost interest since we have been traveling in places where the temps don't get too high.  You can bet I'll be thinking again during our next hot vacation.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 10:16:09 pm »

We have a 2014 2552 and just did an 8500+ mile trip cross country with a lot of steep long climbs.  We didn't notice any extraordinary heat anywhere in the cab area except a bit warmer on the floor between the two cab seats. 

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2014, 06:53:07 am »

Mike, can you post a pic of the underside of your rig below that wing wall so we can compare? Maybe there was a design change between model years that eliminated the problem.

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2014, 07:31:50 am »

Holly if we see you crawling along the passengers side of everyones motorhome at the reunion, we will know why.  rolling on the floor

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2014, 09:19:48 am »

One of the things I do to cool the passenger side is to put the heat controls on both or floor and turn the temp. all the way down and this will turn the air cond. on and cool the area a little bit. It's not the full air cond. but just enough to blow some cool air down there.

Jim
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2014, 03:41:43 pm »

Holly :

I crawled under there this morning and I am totally flummoxed (that's a word, right?) about what is causing your heat problem.  My exhaust runs straight down the rig, a bit off the centerline and about 3 feet away from the passenger side of the rig.  It also is right next to the framing member that runs down the rig, and this framing member is between the side of the rig and the exhaust..  Between the frame and the side of the rig is a very large open space running from the passenger door down to the battery compartment.  This is the area I think you were describing, and on my rig there is absolutely nothing there but space....almost enough to warrant another storage compartment!  I hope the attached pix show what you need to see.

- Mike

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 05:45:34 pm »

Thanks Mike! (Tom, I'll be crawling under my own rig, thank you very much... unless I can't figure it out then I might start a conversation at the reunion and wait until curiosity gets the better of you and others so that you crawl under your own rigs to compare the components and analyze the heat issue.)

Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2014, 06:29:36 pm »

Ya know, there are limited components that cause a lot of heat and if you ignore engine and exhaust then you start to think about electrical issues, which can cause a buildup of heat.  Usually when you have this problem you usually trip a breaker or blow a fuse, but I wouldn't rule out the electrical wiring and devices in that area....side view mirror heaters, electric windows and door locks.....and possibly electric step and leveler.  Other than mice huddling around a little campfire in your door panel, I'm at a loss.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2014, 10:00:56 am »

My two cents,,    I realize we get heat from the engine area(cowling) and so forth,,, Could the heat from the underside some how be funneling toward the seat area and super heating that area??  I know that we have talk about the carpet,,,, I hope there is a heat shield material under the carpet? Realize the seat is bracketed to the frame.

Maybe a couple of you guys on the road could do a check of the underside after you have traveled a couple of hours and see how hot that area is under the seat,,, then compare yours,,,,  I'm going to go with something heating the metal and transmitting it upwards... About 125 degrees is very uncomfortable to the touch,, and with that super heat coming off the engine would not take much  Keep us posted
sparky
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: