Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: 85 Octane  (Read 265 times)
dickreid1

Helpful Rating: 43
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: Feb. 2012
Model: 2910
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
________

All 48 States, boarder Provinces and Maritimes

View Profile
« on: August 20, 2014, 01:15:13 pm »

Last summer I commented to the group about encountering 85 Octane "regular gas" at Cody, WY.  My feeling then was that this was a marketing gimmick to increase profit.

This summer driving coast to coast I encountered both 85 octane in the mountains and 86 octane gas in high altitude areas.   Curious, I found the following in Wikipedia so I guess this gas is legitimate.

"United States: in the US octane rating is displayed in AKI. In the Rocky Mountain (high elevation) states, 85 AKI (90 RON) is the minimum octane, and 91 AKI (95 RON) is the maximum octane available in fuel.[38] The reason for this is that in higher-elevation areas, a typical naturally aspirated engine draws in less air mass per cycle because of the reduced density of the atmosphere. This directly translates to less fuel and reduced absolute compression in the cylinder, therefore deterring knock. It is safe to fill a carbureted car that normally takes 87 AKI fuel at sea level with 85 AKI fuel in the mountains, but at sea level the fuel may cause damage..."

Because my mpg was lower this summer and the engine lugged on hills and downshifted more than usual when using this gas, the following is of interest:

"Many modern engines are equipped with a knock sensor (a small piezoelectric microphone), which sends a signal to the engine control unit, which in turn retards the ignition timing when detonation is detected. Retarding the ignition timing reduces the tendency of the fuel-air mixture to detonate, but also reduces power output and fuel efficiency. Because of this, under conditions of high load and high temperature, a given engine may have a more consistent power output with a higher octane fuel, as such fuels are less prone to detonation."
Carol

Helpful Rating: 17
________
PurchDate: July 2014
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2015
Slide: No
IntColor: Greystone with Sterling Leather
ExtColor: Sterling simplified
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 01:28:25 pm »

I am far from an expert on anything, but just passing along that when I picked up my PC in early July, Earl said that even if I saw the 85 octane out there, that I must not use it.  He said to stick with 90 percent octane.  I didn't ask why, since I probably wouldn't understand the answer anyhow.

ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 193
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 05:08:47 pm »

Maybe I've been wrong all these years.  I had always understood that the lower the octane, the faster the fuel burns, the more volatile the fuel is.  Lower octane gas is sold at high altitude to compensate for the thinner air.  Octane slows the burn to reduce pre-detonation we all know as knocking.  High performance engines have a pre-detonation condition due to higher compression, heat, and other factors which is why they require higher octane.  But like I said, maybe I am wrong.

It would be interesting to compare fuel economy versus octane.  We have always used the lowest octane due to cost per gallon, but wonder if spending more on premium would pay off with improved fuel efficiency.

Regarding power, we never had any issues such that I've wondered if we could have gotten by with the smaller Triton 5.4L-V8 engine.  Especially when not towing.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: