Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Black Tank Insulation  (Read 930 times)
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2013, 08:16:15 pm »

The black water tank on our 2400 is located directly behind the driver side rear wheels. Over time the insulation around the tank has been damaged by impact with road debris off the rear tires. Has anyone else encountered this and come up with an effective fix for this condition. When I was at the plant last spring they gave me a roll of aluminized tape that I applied but it has been shredded by a summer's worth of road debris. I am looking for a more long term solution. Thanks.
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2013, 12:35:46 am »

How about a thin sheet of aluminum or galvanized metal that could be bent to shape and attached to the tank support straps?

2010  PC 2551
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 09:53:43 am »

Hmmm,,, first I would put this question on the general discussion board,  you may get more advice,, since your in Alaska,,, I can see why your concerned with insulation and also protecting the tank,, this may just end up being a yearly to do job,,, our tank is in the same spot behind the rear wheels,, how ever it seems the mud flaps protect it well,, unit is 5 years old and see little wear and tear,,,, I assume you have mud flaps on your wheels??? if so are they low enough??
    By the way went to Alaska last year, plan on going back in 15,,,,, what is that black sandy looking material sort of like sand?   I did notice this when we were up there,,, seems to be a lot of it,,, is this normal,,, don't know,, but could the roads up there have a lot of this and your getting more splash??? under the rig..... 
sparky
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2013, 03:20:24 pm »

Most of our 44,000+ miles was traveling thru Canada and US. We do have mudflats and they appear to be at the right height (about 4"). I spent some time under the unit yesterday and there does not seem to be a simple way to use a piece of sheet metal or other material to protect the bottom of the tank , although I like the idea and will continue to think about it. The black grainy material used on the roads in portions of the state is just native crushed stone/gravel. This aggregate is often combined with a petroleum tar/oil to pave road surfaces where icing is a problem to improve traction.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: