Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Winterizing  (Read 510 times)
richenneke

Helpful Rating: 0
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/20/2013
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Brown
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:13:56 am »

I have a 2007 model 2400 that I recently purchased. I just finished winterizing it, and I had a difficult time doing it!  I previously owned a Dutch Star pusher and it had a hose at the control panel to introduce the antifreeze.  In the PC, the water pump is in a very tight space under the bathroom sink.  When I tried to get a piece of tubing on the inlet side of the water pump, it was just too confined to do it. I finally ended up putting antifreeze into the fresh water tank, which I really don't like to do.
     Now my question.  Have I missed something?  How do other owners winterize their rigs?  I really don't want to go through this again.
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 08:54:27 pm »

Richeneke,
    I never put anti-freeze liquid in my fresh water system.  I first drain the fresh water tank, close the lines to the hot water heater and open its bypass.  Then remove the plug or sacrificial anode from the hot water heater allowing it to drain.  I use a plastic probe hooked to a hose and agitate inside the heater to dislodge any calcium or anode material.  Then let it drain.  There is always some water that will remain and is OK according to the heater manufacturer.  I then use an air compressor hooked to the city water hook-up to blow out all the lines in the coach and do not forget the outside shower and toilet.  If I needed to dump the holding tanks, I did that before starting this project.  I now pour RV or windshield anti-freeze into all the P traps plus an excessive amount in at least one area so some goes into the holding tank. Do the same for the toilet.  I open the gray water holding tank to allow some anti-freeze to get to the macerator pump.  Close the gray tank and put some more anti-freeze in a P trap to get to the valve.  Now the system is free of water and the P traps, dump valves and macerator have protection.
     That is how I do it and it is faster then it sounds.  I am sure there are other ways, but this works for me.
     Bob

richenneke

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 10:16:37 pm »

Thanks for your reply, Bob. I have always been concerned about the water in the inlet and outlet to the pump, plus the pump itself. Maybe that isn't a problem??  I know of people who have had to replace their water pump in the spring.  Otherwise, I follow the same procedure you describe.
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 39
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:54:04 am »

Rich
   I assume you live in north Texas,,, I live in Houston luckily do not have to winterize haha I think we have had one hard freeze in the last 20 years,,,below freezing for over 24 hours,,, how ever I do watch the weather just in case since I have stuff in my grey/black tanks
sparky
richenneke

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 05:22:09 pm »

I live in the Hill Country. Although rare, it can go below 20 here on occasion.  We normally get 10 to 15 nights below freezing, so winterizing  is a must.  I know there are many owners in the Frozen North that winterize their rigs. I was hoping to hear from some of them as to how they do it.

Rich
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 7
________
PurchDate: 05/12
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 08:46:41 pm »

I live in Alaska. Proper winterizing is critical. I downloaded  a bunch of checklists from various sites and combined the best from each. The other responses cover all the basics. I blow out all the water lines with compressed air then run antifreeze thru the entire system. It only takes about a gallon. My unit has a switch near the water pump that allows me to siphon antifreeze directly out of the bottle. Last winter we had 44 days at 10 or lower with no issues in the spring getting the unit ready for camping.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 174
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013, 12:07:40 am »

I blow out the lines with compressed air, drain the HW tank and fresh tank, drain the waste tanks and call it done.

I cheat not using anti-freeze because our garage doesn't see freezing temperatures.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: