Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Generator won't start  (Read 1349 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 73
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: October 20, 2013, 08:50:49 pm »

Our gennie won't start. It cranks but doesn't turn over. It's been 5 1/2 weeks since we ran it. It only has 18 hours on it. My question is... is there a kill switch or fuel shut off that may have been put into play during one of our many service stops? We adjusted for altitude, checked battery connections on both ends, waited until the air temp was reasonable, checked the air filter, and ran the truck while we cranked it just in case it needed a little extra oomph. We don't have a socket that fits the spark plug but plan to get one in a day or two and pull that. Is there any thing else we missed?

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
bhgareau

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 05/12
Model: 2400 Ford
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: dusk
ExtColor: sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2013, 09:50:10 pm »

Don't know about any kill switch or fuel shutoff, but I have had similar issues with starting even after pressing the prime switch for 10 seconds or more. Ours always started eventually so patience is required, sometimes waiting 5 minutes between attempts. Starting it regularly minimizes the issue on our unit.
yankeeflyer
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2013, 06:36:03 am »

We had the same problem a few months ago.I removed the air cleaner and sprayed carb cleaner into the carb while cranking.It started and has been fine since. Cheers
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 295
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 09:21:01 am »

One of the first things to check is how much gasoline is in the PC fuel tank.

As a safety feature of the generator, if your gas tank is less than 1/3 full the generator will not be able to draw any fuel.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 36
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2013, 09:46:43 am »

Barry tip is right on,,, mind want start either unless tank is over 1/2 to full,,,,, not sure ONLY A SUGGESTION,, can you take the air cleaner off and start it,, have done this with this car before,,,   I normally was once a month on exercising the genie,,, now I go over and try to do it every two weeks three at the most,,,,, a lot of the cheaper brands of gas ( grocery store, Loves, etc) Most of use do not have the detergents in them that keep everything clean and lessens varnishing, that's why they are 20 to 25 cents cheaper a gallon,,, not that it means much, but I also noticed that when it is cooler weather seems to make small engines a little harder to start,,
good luck
sparky
lmichael

Helpful Rating: 27
________
PurchDate: May 15, 2012
IntColor: Sterling
ExtColor: Sterling
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2013, 11:29:24 am »

I believe there is a breaker on the generator.  I will check my manual, and report back.
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 45
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2013, 01:24:15 pm »

Be careful when removing the air cleaner and trying to start the Gen.  Many a vehicle has been destroyed when the unit back fires without the air cleaner in place.  Not only the vehicle, but the person trying to start it, has been seriously injured.
    Bob
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 167
________
PurchDate: June 2007
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 04:46:17 pm »

One of the first things to check is how much gasoline is in the PC fuel tank.

As a safety feature of the generator, if your gas tank is less than 1/3 full the generator will not be able to draw any fuel.  Barry
I always heard it was 1/4 tank but experienced the same.  It's more like 1/3, not 1/4.  A fill-up at the gas station might be the answer here.

I would also listen for the fuel pump while priming.  The fuel pump on ours turns on after the priming light goes out.  So hold and listen long after the light goes out.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 05:05:19 pm »

Gas tank was full. Several questions
- is the air cleaner another name for air filter, if so do we just spray carb cleaner into the opening where the filter was? Meaning into whatever hole it was covering.
- can you hear the fuel pump from inside or should we be starting the genie from outside? Are we talking about the Ford truck pump or does the generator have its own?
FYI - the Onan manual leaves much to be desired.
There is a bracket type switch on the right side of the housing. It is switched to on and I got the impression that it's purpose was to block power to the house batteries in case of some sort of overload. Since it is on I figure it isn't the problem.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
yankeeflyer
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 06:25:13 pm »

Air cleaner/air filter are the same.Fuel pump can be heard when priming from the outside position and is for the generator only.If you are concerned about backfiring,have a fire extinguisher available....I've never had a problem.
KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
________

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2013, 10:05:15 pm »

We had the same problem with our on our trip to OR & CA. Its turned out to be a bad fuel pump, had it repaired under warranty. Found out the Onan had gotten a lot of bad fuel pumps this year, might want to check it out

Jim
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013, 07:36:03 am »

Thank you all for the info. We don't hear any change in noise when cranking from the outside so it is possible the pump is out. We bought the carb cleaner but chickened out on using it after reading the Onan warranty that says if you use anything other than what they recommend (which is Onan brand carb cleaner) that it voids your warranty. There is a camping world nearby so we plan to go there and see if they have the Onan stuff. If that doesn't work, the camp host here has a local RV repair guy he recommends so we will probably have him take a look at it.

Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 36
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 09:29:24 am »

Understand your concerns,,, let us know what the technician finds out,,, may help some of us later. if not under warranty repair also let us know what it cost,, I like to know these things to keep in mind if I have the same problem
good luck
sparky
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2013, 12:56:27 pm »

Just got back from repair shop - it was the fuel pump, under warranty, and best of all, free. Thanks for the tip on bad fuel pumps. We probably would have gone in thinking it was varnishing and wound up paying for repairs. So the next question is: do we need to spray the Onan carb cleaner in there since it sat for a month and a half without running or does the two hour exercise we're doing take care of that? We couldn't spray it before because the generator has to be running to use the stuff. So spray now or wait?

KB9OMH

Helpful Rating: 9
________
PurchDate: 3/26/13
Model: 3100
IntColor: Maple
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2013, 02:11:28 pm »

If it starts and run, you are in good health. That what the repairman told us. Then every 4 to 6 weeks run the gen. for 10 to 15 min. I'm going to add a shut off valve to the fuel line so I can run it dry for long storage times.

Jim
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: