Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Possible toad - 2013 Ford Edge  (Read 655 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2013, 12:48:21 am »

We are looking at purchasing a 2013 Ford Edge to tow behind our 2552.  I understand it can be towed 4 down, but I was a bit concerned by the curb weight, which is 4228 lbs.  We would naturally want to load it up a bit with 'extras' when we tow it, but not with anything extraordinary.  Is this stretching the weight limit, or are we being overly concerned?

- Mike
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 179
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2013, 11:57:34 am »

You'll be fine even loading it up.  Just don't load it with patio blocks for your next camp site.  Smile  Our tow vehicle weighs the same as yours and all is well with good secondary braking.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 327
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2013, 07:16:03 pm »

Mike

When it comes to towing the whole system is only as strong as the weakest component.  Unless things have changed since 2012 the standard hitch on the 2552 is rated at 5,000 pounds.  Starting with a vehicle with a curb weight of 4,228 pounds there is 772 pounds of cargo carrying capability remaining.

The weight of any optional factory installed  equipment and installed after market equipment must be subtracted from the remaining 772 pounds.  This would include the weight of the tow bar, base plates,  safety chains and auxiliary breaking system.  After considering this, it's just a matter of watching what gets loaded and keeping a certain margin for safety in mind.  

NOTE:
Curb weight is the total weight of a vehicle with standard equipment, motor oil, coolant and a full tank of fuel but not loaded with either passengers or cargo.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 07:21:32 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Pax

Helpful Rating: 48
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2013, 09:06:39 pm »

Thanks Ron and Barry.  That curb weight is for the AWD version and we don't foresee loading it up with much except some 'overflow' that is too bulky for the PC (maybe chairs, BBQ, that kinda thing) No bikes, patio tiles, gold bouillon, etc. Although now that I think about it, tanqueray can get pretty heavy.  LOL  Will probably go with the Blue Ox towing setup and a Unified braking system.  I'm pretty good (or bad, depends on the point of view) at sharing what I do, so you'll certainly get a full report.  Unfortunately our October 25th delivery date has now slipped to November 7th, so no PC for a couple weeks yet. <twiddle> Thanks again!

- Mike
Shipper

Helpful Rating: 11
________
PurchDate: 04/2013
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Maple and Grey
ExtColor: Dusk
________

Cadillac Mountain

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 09:24:30 pm »

We tow a Lincoln MKX which is probably 100 or so # less than your AWD. We tow with a 3100 which is heavier than your 2552. You will have no problems.

It's not that I'm insensitive, it's probably that I just don't care. Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: