Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Pin hole in the Sani Con hose  (Read 1700 times)
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« on: October 27, 2013, 02:51:11 pm »

Right where the sani con hose comes out of the pump and makes a 180 degree turn and goes into the sani con housing where the rest of the hose is stored, I have a very small pin hole leak that sprays yuck a surprisingly long way.  There is quite a bit of pressure on that hose.  Has anyone tried to patch one of these hoses?  I'm sure it would have to patched from the inside.  I guess sani con would be the contact for a replacement hose?  I thought about shortening the hose by about 4-6" to get passed the leak, but I'm not sure how the hose is connected to the fitting.  Thanks, Mark

Mark
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 324
________
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 03:11:07 pm »

Mark

Sani-con System from Thetford Corp has a 1 year warranty.  Here is a link for the Thetford warranty.

http://www.thetford.com/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=Iwj5AnvO82s%3d&tabid=597&mid=1545

The hose should be covered under warranty.  We have worked with Thetford in the past and they have been very easy to deal with. Their number is 1-800-543-1219

We worked with them twice and they sent the parts right to the house.  We only had to give them the date of purchase, make amd model.

FYI Price for the hose is $72 on Amazon.com.

Barry
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 04:06:39 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/12
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2013, 08:01:24 pm »

I am not quiet sure where the hole is your talking about,, I had a roadtrek with sani hose,  developed leak, cut the leak spot out, reconnected with 2 inch piece of pvc and hose clamps...  also that new tape they have that self seals, wonder if that would do the job,,, 
good luck
sparky
keelhauler

Helpful Rating: 38
________
IntColor: Sunlit Maple
ExtColor: Sunlit - no paint
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:09:28 pm »

You know what causes it. PC has some unprotected screws right in that area and if you pull the hose it punches a hole into the hose.
Can't remember how I fixed it.

John
lghjr
SuperHero Member

________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 07:19:57 pm »

You know what causes it. PC has some unprotected screws right in that area and if you pull the hose it punches a hole into the hose.
Can't remember how I fixed it.

The "bushing" that the hose passes through to storage had two sheet metal screws within a half inch of the hose on mine.  I changed to machine and nylocks.
skipper

Helpful Rating: 19
________
PurchDate: 08/13
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 02:40:02 pm »

Working off Sparky's comments, I think I have a solution.  I found the hole was about 1/2" from where the hose attaches to the pump.  I cut the hose just beyond the hole.  I still wanted to use the connector on the end so I pulled on the hose metal reinforcement and yanked it out of the connector leaving the remains of the hose.  Next I took a razor blade and reamed out the rest of the hose.  Then I pushed the good section of the hose back in and snugged it down with a hose clamp and reinstalled on the PC.  I'll thoroughly test it tonight and see if it holds up.  I certainly don't want it to come apart while pumping poo poo.

If you use a pvc pipe, you will probably need to go from the 1" nominal diameter to 3/4" to get the hose to go over the pipe.  I have every size around the house but 3/4".

PC uses sheet metal screws to hold the gasket where the hose runs through the fiberglass and they do have sharp pointy ends.  However, the hose shouldn't ever come in contact with the screws if care is taken during installation. 

The hose failure appears to be a manufacturing defect.  Mark

Mark
JoeyD

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: 1/16/2013
Model: 2910
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Black/Grey
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2013, 06:21:45 pm »

I actually had several pin holes in my hose.  Called Kermit with that issue, and several other small things (my 2910 is only 10 months old) and he sent me a whole new ensemble, no questions asked.  I love this company.
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2014, 10:29:58 pm »

It seems that Kermit isn't aware of this yet, or hasn't fixed it, but I also encountered a pinhole in the Sanicon hose this trip.  As lghjr has said: "The "bushing" that the hose passes through to storage had two sheet metal screws within a half inch of the hose on mine.  I changed to machine and nylocks."

This is exactly the problem, and I used the same solution.  Gonna give Kermit a call on this one, as it is an easy fix, but horrible problem.

- Mike
Bruce and Sharon

________
PurchDate: 8/16/2013
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe lower body
Location: Summer in Pacific Grove and winter in Palm Desert, California
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:56:06 am »

There is an on-line video showing Earl demonstrating the Sani Con system on a newly built 2552.  The hose is now being routed into the middle of the compartment.  That should prevent the pin hole problem on new coaches. 
Maybe you can see the video here:
http://www.phoenixusarv.com/u?id=2014-Phoenix-Cruiser-2552-10622

Our 2552 has those sheet metal screws, so I plan on changing them also.
  --Bruce

Bruce, Sharon, Sparky dog, & Minou kitty
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 26
________
PurchDate: September 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 07:37:07 am »

Previously to owning the 2013 PC 2350 we had a 2007 Roadtrek 210P and I had lots of problems with the macerator hose.  It was crammed (literally) into a very small storage area and subject to some severe bends and road heat the way it is designed.  I love the design on the PC.  I have fixed pinholes with RV GOOP, by cutting and using PVC flex pipe connections, and hose replacement.  It was such a problem I carried stretch tape, GOOP, connections, etc. for emergency repairs.

By the way:  if you have a hose get really bad when you are on the road, pull into Lowes or Home Depot and buy an outdoor water landscaping pond hose.  Twenty feet long, less than twenty bucks, same ID as the regular macerator hose.   Not nearly as good a hose but flexible and will work.  When I sold our RT, it had this hose on it and it had given us good trouble free use for three years.  The design is similar to the supplied and proper hose but not as flexible and not the quality but in an emergency, works just fine.  Those of us that have been sprayed are very sensitive and mindful about this hose LOL

Paul
« Last Edit: July 28, 2014, 08:39:14 am by Doneworking » Logged
Denny & Barb

________
PurchDate: 4-08-2012
IntColor: cafe
ExtColor: cafe
________

Medicine Bow, Wy.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 07:22:39 pm »

Question, where are these sheet metal screws that are causing this problem.  Looked on my rig today and didn't find any con the vicinity of the hose.

Denny

Your Word or Lord is a light to my feet and a lantern to my path...  Ps 119
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 08:32:22 pm »

I can hardly believe that our Sani Con hose started squirting waste water out of a pin hole as I was emptying the sewer tanks this morning.  I am very lucky with the timing of this in two ways:

1.  It was the final dump at the end of our trip so I'll be able to fix it before we go out on a month-long trip in two weeks, and

2.  the black tank was already cleaned out and the gray tank was in process of emptying so it didn't get stinking nasty.

The pin hole was not caused by the "sheet metal screws" that we've been talking about.  (Those are located just outside of the Sani Con storage bin where the hose comes in from the macerator pump.  Those two little screws a hard to see, but I can feel them almost touching the hose just outside of the storage bin.)

Our pin hole is about 12" inside of the bin and is just touching the ground while the pump is running.  I'm stunned that this happened the day after I had posted a comment on the pin hole issue.  I've always been very careful to protect the hose.  I spread out a drop cloth on the ground under the hose before I start the dump process to keep the hose from bouncing around on the gravel, sticks, glass or whatever that might puncture the hose.  I carefully stow it in the storage bin when the job is done. 

I don't know what else I could do to prevent this sort of possibly catastrophic event.  We've carried an extra hose with us during the year we've owned the rig, but I didn't expect to need it so soon.  I'll add some of the emergency repair items that Paul mentioned to my tool box in anticipation of another event.

--Bruce

Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2014, 10:45:36 pm »

Bruce:

Wow, that IS coincidental!

I've thought about putting a drop cloth of some kind on the ground like you do, but haven't gotten around to it.  When that hose expands and then contracts it picks up pebbles, wood, sand, etc.  Good idea!

Not sure what else you, or anyone can do beyond what you've done.  The obvious ways the hose can fail are exterior materials puncturing it, materials going through the hose puncturing it, age, over pressurization....can't think of anything else besides a bad hose.

Since we use ours exclusively, we now carry repair parts and a spare hose.

- Mike
Doneworking

________
PurchDate: September 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2014, 08:58:44 am »

Bruce, that is incredible! 

You know, I have actually considered several ways to slightly restrict the output from the pump in order to reduce the pressure on the hose.  Easiest would be to restrict by reducing the diameter of the output at the pump going into the hose.  That could be done with a couple of pvc connections of a smaller size at the pump.  Then, the amount of discharge would be reduced thus reducing the pressure to avoid the sprays and as much stretching.  My fear is the backpressure on the pump would not be good for it over time.  I even thought of reducing the voltage at the pump down to 9-10 volts, but that can cause its own problems. 

So, I always make sure the valves are open and the hose is in the disposal receptacle at the dump station before I turn on the pump so as to eliminate ANY restriction or back pressure when I turn it on.   By the way, I carry one of those water pond hoses I mentioned in my earlier post in the spare tire area of the PC.  It fits fine there and if I need it, I got it.  You can buy 3/4 inch and 1" hose for this purpose and the 1" is what you need.

I discharge at home into my sewer clean out trap which is a hundred feet from where the PC can be parked.  I bought a hundred feet of 3/4" heavy duty garden hose at Tractor Supply a few years ago and keep the hose for that purpose......only that purpose of course!   The fact these little pumps will shoot sewage a hundred feet speaks to the pressures involved and gives greater appreciation for leak potential in that little thin hose. 

Paul

Paul
Bruce and Sharon

________
________

PC on Monterey Bay shore

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2014, 09:38:15 pm »

Today I replaced the Sani-Con hose with a new one.  At the same time I also replaced the little pointy sheet metal screws located near the hose.

It took some time and thinking about what steps would be required while working in the small space in that area, but it all came out well.

I used two 6-32 x machine screws with split washers and nuts in place of the sheet metal screws.  I needed to drill out the screw holes a little to get the machine screws in place.

I found the pin hole in the leaking hose about 12 inside of the storage bin.  It was in the seam of the hose and looked like it had just split apart there.  So Im thinking that it was a manufacturing defect at that point that did not stand up to the pressure inflicted on it during dumping.   Because of its location, the hose could not have been punctured from outside.

I've been considering trying to mend the hose as you folks have suggested, but now feel like it would happen again.  We do carry a standard sewer hose that we use for gray water during an extended stay that we could use for the black tank too if the need occurred.

Thanks for all the suggestions,
--Bruce

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: