Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Noisy converter?  (Read 1200 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2013, 11:16:45 am »

Something else to consider.  Not sure how other models are set up, but on the 2552 both the inverter and converter are under the passengers side bed.  My inverter has two tiny fans and the converter has one larger one.  What is interesting is that the inverter fans are located on the bottom of the  inverter unit, and the unit is mounted to the wall of the bed cabinet on the aisle side (the wall toward the interior of the PC not the exterior). There is only about a 3/4 inch gap, maybe less, between the fans and the wall.  I'd have to wonder if it's sufficient for air circulation and may contribute to the fan coming on, or even staying on longer.  That wall that the inverter is mounted on is solid, and not open/screened like one of the panels is on that bed frame wall further aft.  The other thing is that one of the shiny silver furnace ducts is routed directly against the inverter and I would have to believe that with the furnace on it would warm up the inverter to some degree, possibly causing the fan to operate.  Don't have the pictures available right this second, but can post them if requested. 

If I find the inverter fan to be annoying me, I'll probably try to reroute the duct a bit (or place a bit of insulation between it and the inverter) and maybe install a screen on the panel the inverter is mounted to (which may have an opposite effect of making the fan noise more noticeable....but maybe less frequent?)

- Mike
gl1500

Helpful Rating: 54
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2013, 12:42:52 pm »

Mike,
    I think you have hit on the one problem with the fan operation.  All the heat is captive under the bed with no way out, with the ducting and furnace located there. If I found that to be the problem I would purchase one of the computer type cooling whisper quiet fans, cut a hole in the wood under the bed, and install it to pull air out from that area.  Just a thought.
     Bob
Pax

Helpful Rating: 47
________
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2013, 03:57:34 pm »

There is an opening on one side of the bed already in my model, but it's the on the end furthest from the inverter.  My ducting literally lays against the inverter (and the converter for that matter, now that I look at it). A very quiet fan, like you said, might be a good solution.  Would have to pretty quiet for some folks though.  I had just enough hearing loss from being in too many engine rooms in my early Navy days so the inverter/converter fans probably wouldn't bother me, but Joni is an amazingly light sleeper.  Don't really want any cranky people in a confined space.   OfftoBed

- Mike

gl1500

Helpful Rating: 54
________
PurchDate: May. 2014
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2551/2014
IntColor: Hickory
ExtColor: Cafe'
________

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2013, 06:19:01 pm »

Mike,
    The opening is for return air to the furnace, so if you put a whisper quiet fan through the wall it would pull the hot air out and the other opening would provide recirculation.  Just a thought.  There are fans for computers that you can not even hear.
    Bob
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: