Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: At long last - Our PC arrives!  (Read 2390 times)
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 81
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: May 2013
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2013
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2013, 09:32:56 pm »

considering we plan to have this rig for a long time, I'm definitely going to install the lifters....once and done.

Mike, we had pulled that bed board off also just after we bought her but for a different reason. We sanded the board, rounded the edge and coated the top and edge with several coats of polyurethane. Then we screwed her back on. The lifters would definitely have been a better plan and may wind up in there in the future as they would allow us to get in and blow out any dust or debris that is making those fans unhappy. The sanding and polyurethane on the bed base was suggested by others on the forum to reduce the splinters and snagging of the mattress and bedding on the rough wood. I'm sensitive to chemicals and didn't want the dust overload so we took the boards out of the rig before applying the poly.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Pax

Helpful Rating: 44
________
PurchDate: July
ModelYear: 2014
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
________

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2013, 10:18:36 pm »

Yes, those splinters get everywhere!  We are trying to decide whether to spray it or cover it with a thin material (carpet or flooring underlayment maybe...dunno). Nice part about actually going into that compartment is that we now have lotsa extra screws that were just lying about in there just ready to make us nuts as they clanked around going down the road.  Wink

- Mike
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2013, 07:29:05 am »

My plan for the bed boards was actually a thin sheet vinyl glued down with cut outs for the appropriate access panels, hinges, etc. or some sort of lattice or Ikea bed slats that would lift away from splinters and provide air flow. The Ikea bed slats are way too wide and we just weren't in the mood for cutting and finishing both ends of each slat. The lattice we found wouldn't do what we wanted. I was back to thin vinyl but my son kept begging to be let at it with the sander and polyurethane. It seems to work well. We haven't had much condensation (yet) that others wrote about so I don't know if we will need to address moisture later or not.

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 313
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2013, 08:03:03 am »

We also sanded and polyurethaned our bed boards but I still wanted something more for protection so I bought the yoga/sports mats for $5.00 at the Five and Below store.  They fit very nicely and the mattresses do not slide on them. 

Sue

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 177
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2013, 12:11:07 pm »

Years ago I replaced our bedboard with smooth maple plywood.  It is extremely smooth, almost slippery.  In a 2350 the mattress stays put in the corner so no worry about it moving around.  Doing bedding has been easier since.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2013, 01:39:27 pm »

Holly: I searched the PC forum and didn't see any reference to condensation.  I've seen on other forums that some folks have that problem.  Matter of fact when we made our initial one night trip our neighbor who had a popup type camper van was washing and drying out a pad that he puts under his mattress that collects condensation.  I wouldn't think the 2552 would have that issue (at least on the passenger side) with the airflow grill and all those little heat sources under there.  Maybe the drivers side bed?

Ron: I was thinking about possible replacement materials (wood, composites or even maybe plastics). I know that the pressboard and MDF materials like the existing bed board are generally heavier than most woods, which would be another reason to replace.  I'll be stalking the shelves this week to see what I can find.

- Mike
bobander
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 133
________
PurchDate: April 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: Classic Umber
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2013, 02:29:48 pm »

Mike,

I replaced the OSB bed boards with plywood that was smooth (plugged and sanded) on one side.  I made it 1.5" wider to better support the mattress which hangs over about 2".  I sanded the edge smooth and then coated the plywood with polyurethane.  No more splinters when making the bed (according to my wife) and feels better when sitting on the edge of the mattress.

Bob

2010  PC 2551
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 183
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2013, 04:18:08 pm »

I polyurethaned the original OSB boards and put corner guards along the edge. I can slide the mattress to make the bed but have not had any problems with it sliding at other times.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2013, 09:34:35 pm »

Here is a cut and paste of one post on mildew under the mattress and there was another string somewhere with debate on non-thermal vs thermal with condensation, etc. but I can't find it. The post was from Chily in Tips on March 1 2013.

Prevent Mattress mildew.
on: March 01, 2013, 04:58:46 PM Reply with quoteQuote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
To prevent mildew under the mattress we placed a slat-frame assembly bought from IKEA. It vents the space under the mattress very effectively. No more mildew!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

* IMG_0240.jpg (94.29 KB, 640x520 - viewed 2 times.)

Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:47:29 AM by Chily   Report to moderator    Logged 

BGolden

Helpful Rating: 20
________
PurchDate: January 2008
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2008
Slide: No
IntColor: Maple/Beige
ExtColor: White
________

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2013, 08:29:48 am »

I kept this air dryer after selling my boat, it stays in the motorhome now. Keeps the moisture out and prevents mildew.

BGolden

Bill and Karen Golden
Pax

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2013, 12:38:55 am »

Ok, my final post in this topic.  Everything has been resolved.  As I posted earlier, our 50 amp power setup along with a hard wired SurgeGuard is 'unusual' and PC USA didn't install a jumper wire on the transfer switch.  Kermit walked me through it and 5 mins later I had power.

The no-heat/thermostat issue was finally resolved.  Again, this installation was non-standard....we opted for the Coleman Mach 8 15,500 BTU A/C with heat strip (not the heat pump model) Kermit and I talked about it for a while and it looked like either a miswired thermostat or a short somewhere. Due to how the the thermostat wiring runs in the PC, I couldn't find the problem myself so I brought it to one of our local RV dealers with a massive repair facility (Cordelia RV). They found the problem on the first day I brought it in (there was a short somewhere) but due to their backlog of service issues (they had about 60 RV's in there for one issue or another) they couldn't get to it for two weeks.  Thankfully, these were the two weeks we experienced an abnormal two weeks of hard freeze in this area, so our PC was cozy and warm in a service bay, inside.  Turns out the short was due to a wire nut coming loose, falling off and making contact with the control box in the rooftop a/c section.  Not only did they not charge me, but also washed the rig nicely.

We now have a fully functional and gorgeous PC that is ready to get on the road.  First stops....Red Bluff, Palm Desert, San Diego after Christmas.  Then across the country once we get the Ford Edge tow gear and braking system hooked up.

Kudos to Kermit for keeping in touch and being extremely supportive! I'll post more about our 50 amp service, SurgeGuard and Coleman a/c in relevant topics.

- Mike

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2013, 07:28:29 am »

Awesome! I'm sure you'll fall in love with your PC on your first long trip. It's good to hear that all is well and ready to roll.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: