Pages: [1]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Travelling With Cats  (Read 861 times)
bigbadjc

Helpful Rating: 28
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: February 2010
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2006
Slide: Yes
________

View Profile
« on: May 08, 2010, 09:25:09 am »

My wife and I usually take one long trip a year, usually to the Pacific NW, and take our two cats with us.  This fall will be our first in a 2006 Phoenix Cruiser 2551.  Does anyone else travel with cats and have any suggestions on litter box placement, litter box enclosures, and whether or not I have to figure out someway to block the openings at each end of the electric sofa?  Also, should I worry about them getting under the slide when it's inside the camper?  Any experience anyone has would be welcome.

Jerry
NC Sailors

Helpful Rating: 19
________
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 05:03:46 pm »

Jerry,

We have not had cats for the past 12 years since the last of our five died of old age. We now have a lakeland terrier.

However when we took the cats in the car, we crated them to keep them from getting under the seats or otherwise in the way.

In an RV you could use a folding crate on the bed and keep an enclosed litterbox in the shower. They could use the litterbox at rest stops?

Jim

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ (\_ ~ (\_ ~ (\_~ ~ ~ ~
aimee
Administrator
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 61
________
NewUsed: New
Model: 2100
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 01:51:25 pm »

I have transported many cats for rescue groups on multi-day trips across the country. If you crate them for travel, you can use a disposable 8x8 aluminum baking pan for litter.  I prefer feline pine--put in just enough to cover the bottom completely, and either toss the sawdust at stops, or toss and replace the whole baking pan if needed. If you aren't crating, I would recommend a litter pan in the shower, and locking the cats in the bathroom during travel. If you put their normal bed in the bathroom, they probably won't mind curling up and napping the trip away.

I do not have experience with cats and the electric sofa or slide, so I will defer to others on that issue.

Happy Traveling!

Aimee, Webmistress
lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 41
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
ModelYear: 2007
________

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:19 am »

No travel with cats in the PC, YET, but have traveled with two in a different MH and they were allowed to pick there own comfort level and place, and did well we thought.
Seems to me the best place for the box may be behind the drivers seat in a 27'er.  My experience with cats getting in places where they don't belong and not wanting to come out, is that the shoo part of verbalization is pretty well founded, and tends make them move from where they have holed up.

L. G.
BandD

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: 2011 Nov
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
IntColor: maple
ExtColor: white above blue
________

Our unit is available for viewing in Alameda, CA

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 06:47:00 pm »

Hi Folks,

We travel with a 30 lb Cardigan Welsh Corgi, and his crate fits just fine
between the back of the driver's seat and the front edge of the slide.  We
want him crated so he doesn't run off in the event of a collision, and so he
doesn't fly forward if we hit something.

No cat boxes for him - we have to stop to pee hourly or so anyway.

BandD

Bill Cox and Diane Puntenney
Pages: [1]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: