Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Time for a new computer but what?  (Read 1787 times)
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: 11/11/11
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2012
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« on: November 18, 2013, 07:52:44 am »

It is getting time to replace my eight year old desk top computer. It is a Dell running windows vista. I also have an iPad3 that I use for mail, surfing the web and playing games. Too often I get the message "Apple can not open that type of file". So I am looking for something that I can take with me in addition to the iPad3. My smart phone is a Samsung. I use the computer for editing all my over sized (up to 36 MB) photos. I want to get some thing that will do just about every thing and still be light enough to carry with me on trips. My camera gear already weights me down. I don't know if I want to go with the Mac Book pro with retina display  or stay with a PC laptop running windows 8.1 or a 2in1 PC that is both a PC and a tablet.

My questions is what do you use and why. What would you replace it with?

My guess is that I will get a lot of different options on this but all information will be helpful in making my decision. I am asking here instead of a computer forum because you guys most likely use a computer much the same way I do when traveling.

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
skipper

Helpful Rating: 18
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: 08/13
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Tan
ExtColor: Gold
________

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 08:28:55 am »

For travel, you will need a laptop computer.  For serious photography, you will need to get a top of the line computer.

I do a lot of photography, shoot in raw and edit in aperture and/or lightroom.  I use photoshop rarely.  I have a 2010 macbook pro w/ 8 gigs ram and it got so slow I had to find another option.  I upgraded to a SSD and it's like having a new computer.  If you are going to be editing large photos, you are going to at least need a MBP w/ 8 gigs and a fast HD or its windows equivalent.  Apple is very proud of their products and the price tags reflect the pride.  The downside to using a laptop for photography is calibrating the screen.  If you tilt it a 1/4" everything changes.  My thoughts anyway . Mark

Mark
RheaNL

Helpful Rating: 8
________
PurchDate: October 4, 2012
Model: 2100
IntColor: Dusk
ExtColor: Dusk lower
________

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 09:00:06 am »

In addition to RVing we do a lot of international travel which throws in another wrinkle. We have an inexpensive ACER (from Target) which weighs about 1 1/2 lbs. It can be thrown into a back-pack or tote for trips into places like McDonald's to use the WI-Fi. We took that route because chances of damage and/or loss are big. We also carry a small external drive and some flash drives and keep all the photos backed-up on those should anything happen to the computer. As to photos, I just do edits like sort, delete,  crop and organize slide shows. I save the serious editing for when I get home to the big computer with the giant, true color and stable monitor and gobs of memory. Also have an iPhone 5 and am looking at tablets, but have not taken that leap yet. My thoughts for what they are worth.....

Nicki Loth
Dillon, CO
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 11:51:12 am »

I am in the same situation as Tom Hanlon, looking for a new "mobile" computer.  My home computer is an 8 year old Vista on an HP Pavilion 17" screen laptop.  It recently fell ill to a looping power cycling issue that can't be overcome.  After looking at the prices of MACs and talking to a number of close friends who are computer geeks, I decided to stick with a laptop PC.  Because I plan to manage video files on a regular basis, they recommend I buy the best machine I am willing to spend on.

I value the large 17" screen more than the improved mobility of a smaller and lighter one.  With my aging vision, bigger is better, yet is still quite mobile enough for my lifestyle as my old 17" laptop demonstrated.  A CD/DVD drive is very common in the 17" size.  Uncommon with the 15" and smaller, but does seem less important these days.  I like the idea of a touch screen to work like a smart phone.  I also like the idea of a back lit key board for my old laptop required good room lighting to see the keys.

As far as brands go, opinions on reliability are all over the board.  I feel comfortable with an HP Envy because my Pavilion served me well for 8 years.  So, here is what I think I want for the money I am willing to spend.

CLICK HERE TO SEE IT
HP Envy 17.3" with Touch Screen & nicely lit key board
Windows 8
Intel-i7 4 core 2.4GHZ with Turbo Boost to 3.4ghz
8GB RAM
1TB HD
WIDI (wireless display to a TV, requiring a $60 set top box at the TV)

When it comes to these things, they are ever changing in price or capability.  A lot today is less tomorrow.  Just wait and you'll get more for less.  But wait too long and miss out on life.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 01:25:09 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 319
________
PurchDate: 10/17/11
Model: 2551
ExtColor: Classic Umber
________

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 03:12:40 pm »

Ron

If you are thinking about a HP laptop take a look at this HP website:

http://www.shopping.hp.com/en_US/home-office/-/products/Laptops/Laptops

HP is very liberal with corporate affiliated discounts (good for 5 -10% off) in addition to the 10% they are currently offering  plus they offer newer equipment and custom configurations.

Barry
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 03:17:35 pm by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Current   2012 2551 w/Slide
Previous 2008 2350 w/Slide
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 04:10:19 pm »

Very interesting time spent on that website.  Thanks Barry.

Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 08:50:03 am »

It sounds like there are a few on this forum that do video editing.  I started to dabble in it a few years ago and find this site very, very helpful.

www.muvipix.com

The folks that run this site started it a few years ago and will go above and beyond to help anyone out that has a problem with video editing.  The forum is FREE and they also offer some free downloads such as DVD templates, motion backgrounds, tutorials.  They also offer subscriptions if you want more extensive products but the forum is free to anyone and they do cover topics such as computer needs, camera needs and different software support.

Sue
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 08:52:33 am by Barry-Sue » Logged

Barry and Sue 
Doneworking

Helpful Rating: 23
________
PurchDate: September 2013
________

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 09:30:37 am »

I think most of us have faced the same problem over the years:  which computer will work best for me?  Sorta like deciding on an RV.  What works for one is not necessarily appropriate for someone else. 

I have an IPhone 5, an IPad, a HP laptop and a Dell PC.   I still do "a little work" so I still maintain the Dell PC for office stuff.   Frankly, I am not as big an Apple fan as most.  My first "computer" was an Olivetti 101.  They were an Italian company and made a specialized computer that did financial calculations in the early 70s.  It cost a bundle and was about the size of three PCs.  Now, you can do anything it did on a ten dollar calculator.  Times change. 

I find the Apple mobile products frustrating because they don't recognize Flash and some other PC developed software.  Photos?   I am simple.   I keep them on the PC and back them up to a flash drive and an external hard drive.  My photo software of choice is a freebie from Google called Picasa.   It does all I need to do and is simple as dirt. 

I appreciate the big screen of a PC and I like the mobility of an IPad.   Mine is wifi and cellular both.

If I had to choose one machine and one only, it would probably  be a laptop with a good resolution screen.   Then, I could wifi just like the Ipad at McDonalds and Starbucks and I could read any file just like a PC.   Tablet battery life is incredible on my IPad and sorry on my laptop.   I have had several laptops over the years and find that always to be my luck battery wise.

We do traveling besides RVing and it is much easier, of course, to carry a tablet and pass through security than to make the trip with a laptop.  But it just frustrates me that Apple doesn't use many PC  software products and thus limit my useage.   Who can argue with success?   Apple has done an incredible job.    I don't know if the Samsung tablets are more PC compatable than Apple but I understand they are in fact.   That being true, take a look at some of their and other non Apple tablets. 

I think I will solve my problem easily:   just run down all the "Battreys" and throw away the chargers!!  Maybe buy a roll of stamps.  I understand you don't even have to lick 'em anymore rolling on the floor.

Paul 

lghjr
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
OwnPC: No
PurchDate: Used to own a 2700
Model: 2700
________

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2013, 02:44:32 pm »

I bought the HP not long ago and wish now that I had gotten a screen interactive model like my S-4 phone.
TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2013, 02:54:38 pm »

Yesterday I stopped at the Apple store and a new MacBook Pro with retina display followed me home. The screen is just so sharp and clear that I could not resist it. It has 16mg memory and 512 GB solid state storage. I am hoping that the learning curve will not be to hard. I did buy the one year one-to-one training to help out. I think it will be a good machine for photography as well as traveling.

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2013, 03:42:00 pm »

Tom,

What did it set you back for?

Ron

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2013, 05:11:11 pm »

With the 3 year warrenty, one to one training and a $29 cable, plus Marylands 6 per cent tax' minus $350 discounts, it came to $2911. It is costly until I average it out over the 7 or 8 years I plan to keep it.

Tom Hanlon
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2013, 05:19:36 pm »

If it meets your needs today and serves you well for years to come, it's worth the cost.  Congratulations Tom!

Cost is a primary factor for me.  I could get by with a $300-$400 laptop today but realize it will limit me tomorrow.  Planning ahead, it's looking more like $900-$1000.

Sparky
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 40
________
PurchDate: 12/12
ModelYear: 2008
________

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2013, 06:14:22 pm »

I have a Lenvo lapper, do all my stuff on it. I do back-ups of the pics and have just reached  about 20gbs,  total gb on the hardrive 196, used about half of it.... wife has HP with about same gigs on it, However she has all kinds of stuff on her, so hers is backupped with one of those monster back up drives,   Have had a table top for about 4 years  hardly use it anymore,, wife again has all this stuff on hers,,,
   Cell phone is cell phone, plain jane, no iphone or droid for me,,,  Purchased the lap top about 3 years ago on black Friday,,, around 300 bucks, works like a charm,,,
     Needless to say I feel about 80% tech savy,  use windows, have Microsoft word,  etc,  retired so do not need for work etc,
sparky

PS not much to add, but talking about puters  is well a matter of taste and choice I guess,,, I like mind simple haha
Barry-Sue
SuperHero Member

________
________

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2013, 07:17:11 pm »

A few years ago Sue got into editing video and wanted to start using Adobe Premiere Elements.  At the time we had a new laptop(fast enogh) and an older desktop (not fast enough) and I was sure the new laptop (HP with AMD processor) would work just fine.  After installing the software I found the AMD processor in the laptop did not support a small portion of the instruction set that was required for Adobe Premiere Elements.  That afternoon we had a new desktop on order (HP with an Intel processor).  What I learned from this; if you want to run specific software make sure the new computer will support it.

Barry

Barry and Sue 
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
Print

Jump to: