Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Time for a new computer but what?  (Read 1750 times)
Pax

Helpful Rating: 45
________
OwnPC: Yes
NewUsed: New
PurchDate: July
Model: 2552
ModelYear: 2014
Slide: Yes
IntColor: Sunlit / Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2013, 08:15:47 pm »

I echo Barry.  But from what I understand, besides being super easy to use, the Apple products are awesome with all things audio/video/photo.  Now that u have it, I'm sure you'll find all the amazing Apple software that will do what you want.

Just curious, what do you use your camera gear for?  Wouldn't mind seeing some stuff you've created!

- Mike
GoPhoenix

Helpful Rating: 41
________
PurchDate: 12/2010
Model: 3100
ModelYear: 2011
IntColor: Slate grey/Cherry
ExtColor: Full body grey
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2013, 08:40:03 am »

I started off with a Radio Shack Model 4: two 5 inch floppies and no hard drive, a real monster.  LOL  Then a Gateway desktop followed by a series of three Dell laptops.  Current computer is a two year old Dell XPS L50 (newer models available now, of course) and couldnt be happier.  It has an Intel I5 CPU, 8 GB Ram, 800 GB hard drive, running Window 7 Professional.  I run three websites from it using WebPlus 6 (www.redeemer-church.org ; www.clarenceshuppert.com ; http://servecitychosen.org), graphics creation/editing with PagePlus 5, newsletters with MS Publisher, photo editing with Photoshop Elements, all with few problems.   I keep a lot of stuff in a large flash drive which automatically backs up once daily to the hard drive with a free program call SyncToy (http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=15155) which then backs up with the hard drive continuously:

For maintaining it and backup, see a prior post: http://www.phoenixusarv.com/community/index.php/topic,1523.msg11437.html#msg11437

My wife never could get the hang of a computer, but she loves her iPad.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 09:46:42 am by GoPhoenix » Logged

I remember very few of the things that Ive spent money to buy, but I remember all of the places that Ive spent money to see.
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
NewUsed: Used
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
Model: 2551
ModelYear: 2010
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2013, 07:14:44 pm »

We love travel photos for our memories but we are not huge into photo editing, just the usual cropping and contrast corrections.  We have three cameras, cell phone, DSLR and point and shoot.  We like to download the photos as we travel and even print them at a local storefront.  A laptop (HP) has done well for this.  I also burn a CD as I go too.

As for International or air travel, I have a small notebook that I can use for this purpose as well.  It is light and small enough to throw into a backpack. 

I am waiting for Black Friday deals to replace my HP.  It's overheating and not worth it to fix at it's age.  I am not fond of Windows 8 so far but it's inevitable.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 180
________
PurchDate: June 2007
Model: 2350 Ford
ModelYear: 2007
Slide: No
IntColor: Cherry&Green
ExtColor: FullBody Gray
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2013, 08:28:23 pm »

I am waiting for Black Friday deals to replace my HP.  It's overheating and not worth it to fix at it's age.
Most overheating of computers is that the dust bunnies have moved in big time.  Buy a can of compressed air and shoot it in through all vent slots and fan opening.  If you have access to an air compressor, that will work better.

Ron Dittmer (wife Irene) 2007 Model 2350 Without A Slideout
Our Rig Is Available For Viewing Any Time Of Year In Dundee, IL
Stored At Home In Our Heated Garage (Well-Lit & Warm Comfort In Winter)
BarbRN

Helpful Rating: 4
________
PurchDate: May 25, 2013
IntColor: beige
ExtColor: tan
________

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2013, 10:27:37 pm »

I did the can thing Ron, few days ago.  It might be a little better.  The whole computer has to come apart to get to this one.  Saw it on You Tube.  I was afraid to use the compressor but what do I have to lose?
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2013, 09:23:49 am »

Great that you have a compressor.  They are much more effective at full blast.  The only precaution I would take is to stick a jeweler's screwdriver in the cooling fan blades to hold it still so you don't spin it past it's designed rpms.  Theoretically you could damage it.  Once blasted there, remove the screwdriver and hit all other areas.  I would open all compartments, remove the battery, hard drive and RAM cards for other places to blast and allow dust to escape from.  Good Luck.

2 Frazzled
SuperHero Member

Helpful Rating: 82
________
PurchDate: May 2013
ModelYear: 2013
IntColor: Sunlit & Cherry
ExtColor: Sunlit
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2013, 06:10:54 pm »

I will add to Ron's air blast recommendation - take it outside to do this if you can. Otherwise you will be amazed at the amount of crud that was in that computer and is now wafting through the house.

John, Holly, Chloe & Snickers (The "nanny' cat)

Plan at least three years on the road - living, laughing, working and playing in the PC.
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2013, 06:38:41 pm »

Especially if blowing out a desktop computer.  The cloud of dust is remarkable.

ge_montana

Helpful Rating: 6
________
PurchDate: January 4, 2012
IntColor: green
ExtColor: green half
________

I love Photography, sailing and fishing

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: November 26, 2013, 07:04:43 am »

I will add to the noise only because we took a different approach in my obsessive way.

I travel for photography and have used a full 27" screen iMac for many years. It has the software that best meets my needs and i spend a lot of time on my photography, den submitting to shows while on the road.

I travel with a separate 22 " iMac that i put in the back seat of the Fit we pull in a case and strapped in with a seat belt. It replicates my software at home and has the same correctable color matching screen.

I had not though of doing thing and tried a mac book pro, but the colors were off and the screen too small. While in Colorado I met a Ham radio guy who carried his 100 watt transmitter in the same fashion.

When i set up I turn the passenger seat around and open the table by the door on the 2551 and set my iMac there to work from. I reinforced the way the table stays in place. Works great and when i am not using it i put it in the driver seat.

This way i can justify carrying all my camera stuff. BTW i was surprised to see how inexpensive it was to add a rider to my homeowners policy to cover all this stuff. I keep my files on a detachable 4 terabyte drive and always keep it away from the computer when traveling or away from the MH.

Greg & Kathy Matthews

Greg Matthews
Photographer
EastOfYellowstone.com
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2013, 07:08:59 pm »

On Black Friday I bought THIS COMPUTER from Best Buy for $799.  There is a learning curve on Win8 for someone who doesn't work a smart phone, but we are going there too.  My wife ordered a pair of 4G Samsung Galaxy S4 phones and setup up with Straight Talk no contract plan of $45 per phone with unlimited voice, text, & data, data slowing down after 2.5GB in the billing cycle.  If Straight Talk proves to be a big disappointment, no contract means we can switch to something else.

I am in the middle of changing my email address to gmail to fit into all this stuff better.  No more Outlook, all managed on-line now.  It's time for a change in my email address anyway.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2013, 07:19:06 pm by ron.dittmer » Logged

TomHanlon
SuperHero Member
PCPC

Helpful Rating: 189
________
PurchDate: 11/11/11
ModelYear: 2012
IntColor: Cherry
ExtColor: full paint Cafe
________

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 10:15:44 am »

I feel for you on the learning curve as I am going through that with the Apple MacBook. One of the reasons I went with the MacBook was I could buy a one to one training at my local Apple store. It cost $99 for one year but it is sure helping this old dog.

My wife and I went the Samsung S4 route a couple of months ago,. We still don't know all that it can do.

Good luck learning all that stuff. Help

Tom Hanlon
Current PC 2012 2552 Full paint Cafe
First PC 2010 2350 Full paint Umbra
ron.dittmer
SuperHero Member
PCPC

________
________

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 12:45:16 pm »

Thanks Tom, and good luck to you too.

Let the games begin.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print

Jump to: